It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Feedback: Member Project Section
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 am 

This is another idea that has been raised a few times and Zuboo was pushing it recently, keen to see what people think.

Basically and extra forum/section where people can have their own thread to document their build up and progress on their car. I know people do this a bit at the moment, but this will organise all these types of threads into a single section and may encourage more people to document their progress for others to see. Also a good way to keep up on what others are doing on the forum.

Wondering how many people would be interested in doing this? and if it really deserves it's own section in the forum?

Speak now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:00 am 

A couple of other car forums I know of have a section called 'Members Rides' where you are free to show off your project car and update on the build process.
Would make it a lot easier to find peoples projects.

Post subject: :P
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 am 

I think it sounds like a really good idea :D
Maybe having a format of different areas of the that are linked eg. The user's name as the thread topic and inside.....

ENGINE
SUSPENSION
WHEELS
INTERIOR
EXTERIOR

So when you want to see what somebody has done to say their engine, you click ENGINE link and it take you to their mods list eg. Pictures and documentation of the process of what they've done... kinda like a walkthrough...... but just throwing ideas

Alot of the progress threads I see have a couple of pics..... followed by 2 pages of BS..... then some more pics....another 2 pages of BS....

I figured at least this way if you wanted to get a good look at how somebody else did a mod or get some ideas you could without having to skim non related or 'off course' conversation for 5 pages... which I think turns alot of people off progress threads....

Just ideas.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:47 am 

I'm not a huge fan of the idea just because I see too many "build" threads on other forums that consist of "hey I just painted my mirrors!" or "check out my new neon valve caps!!11!"

Most of the decent projects I have seen seem to happen without the owner constantly waxing idiotic on teh interbutt about progress. They're too busy in the garage!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:31 am 

Yeah I do have to agree with [YLD80Y] on that...
Maybe my idea is better suited to "Members Gallery"
Id like to push for more 'tutorial' style stickys where somebody can take step by step photos of how to modify or replace a part... then send it to a moderator and their discretion can decide if it is accurate and comprehensive enough to be stickied......
We have so many knowledgable people on this forum whose skills go to waste because of the boredom of the same question being asked over and over and so many others that are almost confident enough to get their hands dirty but just need that little bit more validation from somebody of experience.....
Saves alot of the 'Groundhog Day' questions of "how do I do this.... how much does it cost..... where can I get it done?" etc. It's all laid out...... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:00 am 

That brings us back to the "articles" section, which was designed to house all sorts of DIY articles on subjects from brake pad replacements to turbo conversions.

Sadly it didn't ever take off. :(

There was also the idea of a wiki being talked about a while ago, which would serve the same purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:47 am 

I admire/feel sorry for you moderators.... always trying to evolve the site into a more user friendy forum whilst trying to fix and police everything else....it's gotta be a tough job.... #-o

~a great idea is only as good as it's execution~

You guy's are clicked on... you will come up with somthing.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:01 pm 

On a few other forums ive seen, they have a FAQ section within the forum index page, ie a new section. Good threads are mirrored in that section and titled accordingly (like Oil Change) etc

The downside ... its a pain to implement as someone needs to id threads and tidy the titles etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:02 pm 

Stocko wrote:
On a few other forums ive seen, they have a FAQ section within the forum index page, ie a new section. Good threads are mirrored in that section and titled accordingly (like Oil Change) etc

The downside ... its a pain to implement as someone needs to id threads and tidy the titles etc

Like this?
http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/vt.6993.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:09 pm 

bzchi wrote:
Stocko wrote:

Like this?
http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/vt.6993.htm

Yeap same idea, but its a forum section in itself. and when you click on the link the topics are listed thread style.

The problem with a stickie is most ppl skip over them and they become cluttered all in one thread. The other plus side to a seperate forum section for FAQs is that when searching the search function could be set to just search through that section with proven threads to solve an issue instead of having to sift through tonnes of unanswered or vaguely relevant threads (ie relating to oil) which generates 20+ pages.

i know its a pain to do tho and do appreciate the time and effort thats given freely by admins as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:16 pm 

I think a members cars section is a good idea, easier way of keeping track of peoples progress with the work they are doing on their cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:00 pm 

I think it's a good idea i'd be posting lots and lots :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 pm 

dont know if this is the same PHPBB version or if phpBB Garage 0.9.0 can be added to any PHPBB but this seems to be popping up on alot of car forums..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:09 pm 

Yeh i know another car forum that uses the same software, you can put your cars specs in your profile, and theres a car gallery built into the forum, some features that would be cool to have.