It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 1:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:51 am 

No damage done from my experience.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:04 pm 

I bought a set of these that are still good after 100 000+k’s. The site has always delivered fairly quickly if they have the stock. From the blurb i read they are made in WA or where then, maybe still are?https://www.4wdpartshop.com.au/suzuki/suzuki-cars/swift/swift-gti-g13b-1991-1998/engine1097571042/LIFTER-HYDRAULIC-2269-detail.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 am 

Sounds like your engine builder wasn't happy with your cams anyway. I'd say leave it as is until it's time for the head to come off and then replace the cams and followers. There's plenty of options for solid followers either using Toyota solids or Arrow Precision shim under.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 am 

Each lifter is independently fed from the oil gallery so any bit of swarf left will reduce supply to it. Don't always blame the lifters. Taking them out and leaving in an oil bath upside down with the tappet face down may help but I suspect you did that at the rebuild.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 pm 

they were cleaned at the second rebuild...maybe the 10w40 oil?....we get 75 to 80 psi oil pressure when cold....but maybe as the conditions get colder we may need to go to 5 w 40?

Chris said the results I got were pretty amazing for dry and cold....they would be better hot with oil everywhere...so he is pretty happy we have not hurt the engine.... [-X

I bought an aeroflow 2 litre surge tank on trade me today...$50....stole it off the guy.....now after a decent pump and then a good post surge tank pump filter.

I believe some of my protection issues relate to fuel surge. where the differential pressure changes it goes into protection and reduces the power....also we are investigating wether the MAP sensor is getting its reading from on the manifold and the fuel pressure regulator receives its signal from (the end of the manifold) may be causing some differential readings... You can't set protection based on overall fuel pressure as that goes up and down with the vacuum reference on the Fuel pressure regulator. so Chris explained to me that it needed to be differential pressure based on the MAP and FPR vacuum. that of course went straight over my head.....so i might take the fuel pressure reference line off the same fitting at the MAP sensor.
anyway...the surge tank and second pump will ensure we have no surging issues so this is the first thing to do. Ill put it in the boot and I have to cover it...and vent outside....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:36 pm 

got the aeroflow surge tank today...what a piece of art it is. after my next london trip ill have the filter and pump plus the fittings.

also Blake and I have put our ideas together for a lockout on first gear and probably also reverse. (yep i know the reverse has a lockout in the box already but believe me it does not stop you making a mistake...ask me how i know! 8-[

so its not as easy as first thought....but its developing....I have a prototype locking out first now however im not happy with it so more development needed. If i can get it working well then there will be no more accidental firsts at any stage...accidental 5th to second still possible but a lot harder to do....2nd to 1st is so bloody easy to do when looking for third when loaded up around a hard left hander.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:45 am 

so I’m now doing a bit more carbon work...I’m going to make some side skirts...basic ones...they will be quick fit so we can jack the car up. Comments welcome on shape...good or bad... 8-[

Then I want a bigger wing..the one we have looks a bit puny. Don’t want silly big but something to balance car lines out a bit. Car is light in ass end ....Do you think it might help? Yeah I know about drag.

Also making a carbon kick pad for passenger to keep their feet away from lambda controller and ECU. I’m going to make some spacers and lower the front splitter a bit. Then make a larger bit of plastic to fill the gap.

Going to lower car another 5mm all around.
Next set of tyres will be 205/50/15 slicks. Probably just hankook. Slightly wider and will put 5mm spacers in to keep tyres away from inner wheel wells. Increase front camber to 3 degrees to compensate. This is to help gearing a bit (205 is higher than 195 by a few mils) plus toyo r888r getting loose in turns when pushed....bit more rubber on the track might help.

Attachments:
9E6FA020-95DA-4DD3-8DB4-AD5E2540C001.jpeg
9E6FA020-95DA-4DD3-8DB4-AD5E2540C001.jpeg [ 182.84 KiB | Viewed 11 times ]
AA5396EE-C1BA-45DE-A624-66F1DF5160D1.jpeg
AA5396EE-C1BA-45DE-A624-66F1DF5160D1.jpeg [ 164.25 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]
4AAEF51F-EFA4-44D7-BAB0-04397B1BD19C.jpeg
4AAEF51F-EFA4-44D7-BAB0-04397B1BD19C.jpeg [ 706.18 KiB | Viewed 11 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:55 pm 

Some of the other things to lower the COG is to space down the fuel tank and also lower the engine in the engine bay depending on driveshaft angles after you have lowered car.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:09 pm 

Lowering the engine is too hard...I have little room to drop the exhaust and I won’t go as far as to change my exhaust headers...the tank thing sounds interesting....
On that...fuel surge is an issue on these things I believe...I’ll never run below half a tank once I get the fuel level fixed and fit the surge tank.

The problem with lowering the car with the non coil over rears is I have to cut the springs down but taking a whole ring off won’t be possible as that’s too much. I could if I turned up a block for the top of the spring and mounted it in the car....cutting a loop off will increase the spring rate won’t it? I have 500 lb springs so that will be ok won’t it....a bit of extra spring rate in the back will still be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:21 pm 

Has anyone tried hankook z214 semi slicks? Only two radial lines in them. More like full slicks than our toyos. Looking at going from 195/50/15 to 205/50/15. Slightly taller and 10mm wider.
Rims perfect size for them. Have the gearing for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:15 pm 

I would be weary of going 3 degs negative camber. You will reduce your tyre contact patch on the drive wheels & from memory the Hankook has a squarer tyre edge than the 808 which may also effect your suspension settings
It would be worth talking to someone running them on a front wheel drive race car

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:01 pm 

Ok thanks JasStv.
I’m at 2.25 degrees now and yes the r888r are definitely rounded edge.
I really don’t want to use spacers but I already have to in the front behind the hats. 7mm.
I’d love to get the wheels out just a little bit....full lock and it hits the inner wheel well quite a bit before full lock....only way without spacers is to mod the suspension arms again....take the lower control arm out a bit...but then have to think about axle length.
I’d love better front brakes....we run zenoli slotted (read cheese grater) front discs Suzuki sport calipers and endless pads with stock master cylinder and no booster. I’m thinking of ditching the zenoli hats....trying some Suzuki sport hats re drilled to suit the gti hubs and try some different pads that come on much sooner. I tried REMSA sportpads....well the discs killed them in one day.
They were just crap. I’m stuck with spacers on the front even though my rims are 25 offset. This is because they are 7” wide rims. No spacers in rear..front 30mm wider than rear in track.

Can you tell me the distance between the centre hub and the stock guard on your track cars? I’d like to know to see where I’m at. I have done the roll centre mod but feel the car could come down 5 to 10mm....don’t want to stuff up suspension though...comments?

So now the motor and box is getting there I’m looking back at the handling again.
Our brakes suck....better than a lot of them but I feel they are quite weak.
Im also going to cut the front splitter hangers and drop it to the same level as the side skirts I’m making in the pics above. Then fit bigger plastic filler between bumper and splitter.
It’s 110mm from the ground....I’m thinking after lowering 5mm and lowering the mounts I’d like to see about 80 mm ground clearance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:22 pm 

What's your current ride height?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:23 am 

Ah no idea currently as it’s on the hoist as I get the surge tank sorted but I believe it’s at 310mm from guard to wheel centre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:42 am 

If that's where it's at then it could come down a bit more. My road car is at 315mm and the rally car is currently set at 300mm.

I run 4 pot Wilwood on the front with a standard rear setup on both my ae86 and the GTi. It works well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:36 pm 

oh im at 325mm. So It seems quite High. I better check the shocks have the room for the lowering. Got to adjust rear springs pretty heavily for 25mm though....maybe Ill just go 10 to 15mm? So the guards you have are original Sam and the centre of the wheel spindles is 300mm front and back? seems hard to believe mine is like a standard road car when its already been lowered somewhat???

Here is the progress on the surge tank. Im using the foam to create a box to house the surge tank in. Ill cover it in two layers of carbon and then melt the foam out with petrol. the foam has to be trimmed down a lot and a front back and sides glued on. the sender pump plate has been modded for AN fittings as the fuel tube needs large radiuses to stop it crimping and will take up too much room. The electrics needed removing and thats easier said than done...they dont come off...(well they do with a pair of side cutters!) so I turned up a couple of teflon buttons and re used the tank internal parts....then used longer through bolts....Im running the engine pump off the tank pump circuit. checked it out and its quite normal to do it...the wire I have used for the 12V supply is heavy and more than capable of carrying the max 20 amps i suspect the pumps could run....more like 16 amps. the wire could take 40 amps and the relay 35. I just need to up spec the fuse a little.

Attachments:
IMG_5929.JPG
IMG_5929.JPG [ 218.49 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]
IMG_5927.JPG
IMG_5927.JPG [ 296.05 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]
57829025126__DA484751-8FFD-4F8D-9E3E-7F0D060930B0.JPG
57829025126__DA484751-8FFD-4F8D-9E3E-7F0D060930B0.JPG [ 311.04 KiB | Viewed 9 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 pm 

my car has 305mm from centre of hub to guard . We have modified our front struts to drop the Koni insert lower in the strut tube

The brake set up in the photo we are using on our Honda K20 conversion is

2010 Suzuki Swift Sport upright with Honda S 2000 ( 1999) DBA 300mm series 4000 slotted disk & Honda Integra DC5 single piston caliper. Wheels are 15x8 ( 2mm clearance from calliper to inside of wheel)

The good thing about the Honda caliper is the number of race pads available

The disks will be redrilled 4 x 114.3 & we still have a bit of work to get hubs sorted
The lower ball joint pin size in the sport hub is 16mm. Talk to Sam about the Ford ball joint conversion he did on his LCA,s We are using this setup our LCA,s

Attachment:
IMG_3237.jpg
IMG_3237.jpg [ 831.86 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:36 am 

Cheers for that. I’ll try lower the car about 15mm. It means a rear spring mod. The fronts are easy...I have adjustable shocks. The rears adjust up but just to take up the slack when the spring is shortened. What I need to do is ensure there is sufficient travel left in the shock to avoid bottoming it. No worries in the front as it’s just the lower shock half decreasing in length by moving the insert down.

Interesting on the k20 mod. How much work to get the caliper fitting the spindle? . Be nice to have a good range of pads to try.
I’ll go have a gander in the wreckers today. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:59 am 

Yes, standard guards. The road car has the same setup as Steve, so Koni sport in oem struts.

The rally car has custom Koni double adjustable coil overs all round. Minimum front height would be around 280. I haven't tried running it that low but it might work now that we're running new swift uprights.

I see Datman has his car for sale in an as is state. I believe it has the same custom Koni coil overs built by Stocks Koni workshop. Might be worth seeing whether he's ready to part out. The body changes to the rear would be the easy/cheap part of the conversion.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:47 am 

For the hub & splines it gets interesting

The GTi hub can be used by changing the bearings in the hub which I have found the current inner & outer diam to suit.

The only issue is the length of the GTi hub section that goes int the upright is shorter than the sport hub.

The final decision I have to make is which outer CV I will run. Eeither original Honda outer CV or Magna CV that fits GTi hub

The Suzuki Sport Hub has the same 25 spline as Honda outer CV but the original hub cannot be redrilled to 4 x 114.3 due to the reliefs in back face of stud mounting flange. I think there is an after market Suzuki Sport hub that has a suitable stud mounting flange with out reliefs on the back face

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next