It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: Back in the game! Project "Monster"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:05 pm 

I got excited that Tassie had done an update! Nevermind.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:10 pm 

Thanks for sorting the Spam Swift12, I was going to when I saw it but have been too busy this weekend with kids birthdays, a V8 ute and plenty of other things lol.

unfortunately Howsie there is nothing to report on the build front, though I am compiling a mental list of jobs that need finishing off or tidying but not parts (aka $ to spend) and may have something for the die hards still watching, I know you are all there! I meet more people who love the car each week... unfortunately no rich old ladies who will donate to the build lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:14 pm 

I am much the same at the moment, just trying to get it on the road so I can take it for a drive. Last part (hopefully) for that is a radiator. Then a tune and tweak and should be all good.

Keep it up, you will get there. Plenty of V8 utes, not enough turbo swifts!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:43 pm 

Cheers man, the V8 ute is a promo car for one of the TCM Teams here so the opportunity to play around with it I won't pass up.

As for the build I'll stick with it, just frustrating not having the $ to do anything.

Keen to see yours up and running too, can't beat a mk1 back on the road anywhere :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm 

Well I said I'd have some more posts and here is one for you all...

It's nothing major but it is a job, well, half done...

While my car has been sitting my 3yo has enjoyed being able to pop out one of my side repeaters, unfortunately a while back the repeater was removed and left in the driveway and then run over by our family bus without anyone knowing #-o

When I found it out I went hunting for a replacement and came up with using Swift Sport ones... Here is the comparison...

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]

As you can see the ones I had were clear ones but, as I couldn't find anything that matched these, the Sport ones are a good option, while not as nice in my book.

As I only had 30 minutes I only got one side sorted as the Sport ones do require some massaging to fit...

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 18 times ]

The highlighted tab needs to me removed and smoothed down, as well as the small grey lip on the leading edge of the underside to help it sit flush with the body work. The great thing with this is that it now has to be unclipped from the inner guard to be removed (easy when you are old enough to know how - aka not a 3yo who hasn't seen it done!) and the wiring needs to be switched over as the GTi light bulb fitting doesn't match the Sport one.... A simple swap as it's just 2 wires on both.

The end result looks pretty good, but the rear of the light will need to be stuck onto the body to sit flush as there is a slight lip in the middle of the bulb that stops it sitting flush in the stock hole. I will most likely use double sided tape or a little stikaflex for the job once I've got the other side fitted up.

Attachment:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]

What to people think?

I'm going to be doing jobs like this one as I can, between now and June when work snows me in once again to inch the car closer to completion without spending $. :P

Oh I also gave the car a good wash and have put it under a car cover to (hopefully) avoid it getting any more love from the little ones. [-o<

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 pm 

Ah, all these little painful jobs that take 2hrs to do when you think "I'll just quickly do this..."

Nice mate, keep at it.
I have not touched mine in a few weeks, got some things brewing, but work has been busy and it is waiting on a radiator so I can fire her up again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:02 am 

It wasn't too bad a job, took maybe 45 minutes including find all the tools I needed and sorting out a power source to check the light (as my battery died long ago).

I'll get the other side sorted this week and then look at a few other jobs I've been wanting to get done after that. Nothing huge but better doing something than doing nothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29