It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cheap inverter welders- brands to avoid
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:55 am 

I have a few small welding jobs coming up and instead of hiring a unit i might buy a cheap setup. Ebay and Amazon have plenty of cheap ones and i am after a little feedback on which brands to avoid from people who have had bad experiences with them. Pretty sure i only have 10 amp circuits here but i will check so that probably means no tig/mig but it would be nice and a basic inverter stick would be ok for now. If i can talk a sparky mate into a 15 amp circuit i could go tig/mig and future proof it a bit as well or use a genny. I used to weld resonably often years ago but am pretty rusty now. I could never get the hang of tig then so need plenty of practice with that. Are any of these things reliable? Any thoughts welcome.

Post subject: Re: Cheap inverter welders- brands to avoid
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:47 pm 

Anything cheap is usually made with really cheap components, for obvious reasons. Also, what's cheap for you?? ~$500-1000 is a cheap welder...

I could only suggest finding someone on the Youtube who has done a teardown of one to have a look inside, as some "budget" welders are surprisingly well made.

A 15A outlet is an easy upgrade of an exisiting 10A outlet, its just the faceplate and circuit breaker usually. No new wiring required (usually).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:53 pm 

Yeah standard wiring will take a 15 amp faceplate....just remember the earth pin is a lot larger on a 15 amp welder plug if fitted so you will need a 15 amp face plate.

Most welder parts are made in China....in pretty much three factories. The only one that is not is feronius but you won’t want one of those.....$$$$$

The rest of it is about quality control. If you buy an “American made” Lincoln you buy a machine put together in the states from pretty good Chinese parts. Same for most of the other good brands.

I had a rilon which is riland.....it was ok. Same insides as a lot of other rebranded welders.
Read boc weldmate. There are some really crap welders out there....ask around in Brisbane...avoid them....don’t get much more than 175 amps....your 15amp plate won’t take any more.

Sorry but you do get what you pay for in regards to welders.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 am 

I figured most where made from chinese parts and didn’t want one made from the worst factory. I could borrow a mig from work but getting it home and returning it without breaking it makes it not worth the effort. My boss can really nag for years over small stuff so a busted welder would keep him busy for awhile. I am leaning towards a simple 10a 200w’ish Rossi just for stick work. They don’t seem to have a bad rep online that i can find. Mainly for simple patching panel rust on a few cars if i can turn it down low enough, also it appears that ali can be done with stick as well, i have a manifold i am making for weber onto g13a thats half built that a mate tig’ed for me even if i only tack things in place for him to finish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am 

Last year I bought a BOSS from Bunnings and it seems good so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:02 pm 

I am checking out Hare and Forbes tomorrow. Buy from the store in case i need the warranty. They have ones that are also tigs if you buy the optional extras. Unimig branded as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:31 pm 

Hi All,
Howsie13 wrote:
A 15A outlet is an easy upgrade of an exisiting 10A outlet, its just the faceplate and circuit breaker usually. No new wiring required (usually).
swift12 wrote:
Yeah standard wiring will take a 15 amp faceplate....just remember the earth pin is a lot larger on a 15 amp welder plug if fitted so you will need a 15 amp face plate.
You may want to consult an electrician first and/or consult AS/NZ 3000 Wiring Rules. Although 'Standard' 2.5mm wiring will handle it, the general rule is only 1 x 15A outlet per dedicated circuit breaker allowed.

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:15 pm 

Drew....that’s a good point....I remember that from when we built our shed....I have many 15 amp faceplates but I have about three per circuit.....however we up spec’d the wire for those circuits. Yes for one 15 amp I’d have its own circuit on 2.5 wire.

Recently I had to chuck a single phase motor on my mill as i needed it for a job and the starter gear had fried on the three phase....(second hand old stuff) then it would relentlessly pop the rcd on turning on/off the mill. Single phase SUCKS amps....and therefore just sucks.
I run the mill, compressor and hoist on three phase....love it. The mig is not much good above 175 amps and my sparky mate said don’t bother getting a bigger machine on single phase unless you run a dedicated line and higher amp plug and switching etc. it just doesn’t move the amps otherwise.

Btw....15 amp faceplates are damn near three or four times the price of 10 amp. Ask me how I know!..... 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:27 am 

The wiring and this house in general are home made so to speak. My house mates uncle made this house out of whatever he could get cheap when he got back from the war fighting japs. I hate to think how old some of the wiring is, my sparky mate has never seen stuff this old so i am trying to keep things on the small side. I ended up buying a Unimig Razor 140 which is the baby of the Razor line and uses a 10a plug. Just stick and tig but comes with no extras so i need to get some more gear before i try it out.