It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Alex's GTi - Starting over: NA Hillclimb build
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:02 pm 

Hillclimb tomorrw!
kind of just updating this to procrastinate the 2000 word essay I'm struggling to do and have no fucking idea how to do it.

Also bought some new tyres Khumo hs51 which are supposedly going to be the successor to the ku31, pretty keen to see how they go.
Hopefully a new pair of wheels are not too far away so I can have a pair with semi slicks whihc I don't need to daily, very excited for them as they're my favourite all time wheel - but unfortunatly a copy as I can't afford legit.

And an Adelaide photographer posted this photo today which has gotten me super excited for tomorrow

Attachments:
1899864_757191507644399_1000224544_o.jpg
1899864_757191507644399_1000224544_o.jpg [ 239.31 KiB | Viewed 66 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:54 pm 

Track day went well today in regards to nothing broke!
However was running on half bald UHP tyres (ku31) and holy s**t did I have no grip ever - I've found a supplier for second hand Rspec tyres so I should be able to get more serious about it now!

Funny moment, on the return path of the track (track is a hillclimb to the top, and then it's a 40km/hr return track) a kangaroo jumped out in front of me! Extremely lucky it didn't choose the other path onto the track!
Have a photo of it but the laptop isn't really working properly so will upload later if I remember too.

Time to swap to sr20 intake and piggy back ecu! Retune and new tyres!
Very excited!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:02 pm 

Another note - I was at my first meeting for my car club tonight which is a very presitgous club with a lot of classic cars. Was hearing from a man about 60 about his close friend who is building a replica of a xj13 jaguar (the le mans car). He said "hell it's a ferocious car though" being and ignorant teenager I just thought "yeah, I'm sure I've been in cars much quicker" (comparing to 350-400rwkw cars I've been in). And his friend added "oh yes! That thing has 740hp"
Incredible! I am so envious!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:25 am 

Well guys, this is it unfortunately.
Around about Easter, one day I just woke up and looked at my car and decided I didn't quite have that spark for it any more. I'm not sure what caused it, I think it was a mix of a lot of things but mainly
-Dailying a car with GrpA cams. Although if anyone has looked at my thread for inspiration I strongly recommend these cams, they're amazing! If you're going to go to the effort of putting cams in, you may as well get the best!
-In the most recent Hillclimb I competed in, I came first in my class. This was amazing but at the same time it left me a little lost for motivation as I no longer had that drive to push myself to beat the next person ahead of me.
-The quest for more power in regards to the bank account - Even though I was always happy with the cars speed especially out of corners, I always wanted more. And Unfortunately I could dump like 3k doing a high comp rebuild, ITBs, standalone etc. but it wouldn't see me much more than 95fwkw (25 increase). I prefer the idea of (my new car) where if I were to drop that sort of coin in it I'd be seeing towards 300rwkw. This goes for engine and general parts, there's not a lot of straight off the shelf parts and (especially in suspension) where you can buy exactly what you want without it being stupidly expensive and custom made.

I intend to own another one in the future, but build it as an all out track weapon similar to Moylee's or Taylor Delony. But this won't be until I'm out of Uni and in a steady career (so probably 7 years or so) which is also a worry to think about in regards to, will petrol still be readily available will there be any swifts that aren't rusted out still around. And then there'd always be the disappointment of not owning 'my swift'.

So I a big thankyou to all that helped along the way and were always up for advice. Especially Chris (Gtaye) who was always happy to answer phone calls being asked the most ridiculous question at the most ridiculous hour, Taylor Delony, Simon Moylee, DMWDave, David (Tassie_mk1), Braedyn (OMG GTi) and anyone else that feels they've helped along the way.

Places in Adelaide I recommend
Simon Podlewski at Morpowa Adelaide for any tuning of any sort - don't even think of going elsewhere
Fred Vella Tyres at Edwardstown, wheel aligner there is an awesome bloke and was more than happy to deal with my front end twin camber bolt set up
Car Torque at Kent Town, for any bushes/camber bolts etc. Amazing service best prices, best place in Adelaide, they'll get gear in next day if they don't have it on shelf
Exhuast Technology on Goodwood Road, dont think of going anywhere else for exhaust work

And lastly a big thankyou to all the people that viewed this thread; pretty flattered to see I racked up 13243 views to date.

Good luck to all the Swifters, never give up no matter how many gearboxes you destroy.

One last thing to add, last night GTP messaged me for a part from my For Sale thread, when I walked outside to see one of the cleanest 'GTis' I've ever seen my heart sank and I felt so much regret. And then when I saw that it was a UK imported AWD model... I just... WOW!

Anyway all, if anyone does have any questions, I'll still be on the forum so feel free to post in here and I'll probably reply.

And to finish off, I swapped my Swift with a friend for a not so tidy s13 silvia (onevia) with cash my way. Running an manual gearbox and SR20DET (red top for those interested) dead stock except for s14 brakes and five stud. Didn't really want it but wanted something that'll be extremely easy to build another entry level racecar out of capable of doing lots of different forms of motorsport, and this is pretty much the best chassis for it.

There's a for sale thread with a few of my parts in it if anyone's keen.

Take care everyone.

Wow now that I've finished writing this I realise how sad I really am about it.

Attachments:
10411954_10152468115269455_4508242849768147654_n.jpg
10411954_10152468115269455_4508242849768147654_n.jpg [ 71.98 KiB | Viewed 65 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11