It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lexs MK1 rebuild - the green machine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:46 pm 

So the guys at MRC dyno were back on the job from xmas break yesterday. Over the break they had the Motec sent off to check it was all functioning A.O.K and it was confirmed it was fully functional. We were also able to check what version of software the computer was running for compatibility issues.

By process of elimination this meant the problem was within the communication cable linking the ECU to the tuners laptop

After a couple of minutes with a multimeter Mark was able to identify the faulty wires and rectifythe issue. After this the ECU was able to communicate perfectly with the laptop and shortly after the car was started for the first time in over 3 years and he was able to drive it out of the workshop.

Mark contacted me this morning with the good news which was a great relief as there was always the overhanging stress that there would be a wiring/sensor issue that would needed ironing out but it looks like the custom wiring loom is 100% functional.

Now waiting on some dyno time to give it the run in tune.

Nearly out of the woods. Hope to have it back, and rego-ed by late this week (fingers crossed)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:40 pm 

Great news! Do you he any pic of the loom. Im about to redo mine and would love some ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:48 pm 

Just got the call ive been waiting for, for nearly 2.5 years.

Car is finally ready to pick up.

Initial run in tune made 80kw (~110hp) at the wheels with apparently plenty more legs to gain some more ground after ive done 1000km on the new engine giving the engine/pistons/rings a good run in and change the oil/oil filter and after we can do power/redline runs/tune

Tow truck picking up tomorrow morning to transport back to mine for the final 'touch ups' to get her ready for NSW Blue Slip

Couldn't be happier

Photos and video to come when car is in my possession

Cheers all

Alexei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:58 pm 

That's awesome mate! Nice work! =D> Well done on those power figures too, that will be great fun once run in and fully tuned! I'd love to see it hit 90kw :) That would make for a seriously quick NA Mk1 :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:32 am 

Finally!!!

Congrats dude go have some fun!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm 

So spent the last couple of days sorting small issues out ready for blue slip and getting the odd cheeky illegal drive up and down my street only to discover yesterday that my beloved Enkei comp8s experience sever guard rub at the rear.

I couldn't work out why given that the wheel size and offset was perfect...or so i thought.

When i bought these off Strider, he informed me they were 13 x 6JJ with Offset of 38.

Turns out when i measured them today the offset was actually +25, which means there is buckleys chance of them fitting at the rear (front is not such a problem with a bit of camber but they do protrude a little too much for my and most police officers liking).

Wish i had known that before buying them and shipping them half way across the world.

Ive sent Strider a message and want to give him a chance to explain...its not the spending of the money that grinds my gears the most (as im sure i can sell them pretty easily at a slight loss) its the fact that i really loved those wheels and had my heart set on them.

Back to the drawing board and hunt for some more wheels with an ole school feel.

If anyone knows of anyone that wants to buy a set of great condition, silver Enkei Comp8, 13 x 6JJ Offset 25,with centre caps wrapped in brand new Dunlop sport 180/60/13 tyres i know a poor sucker that's selling some.

On a lighter note, the car runs terrific. The exhaust work done by Windsor Exhaust is an work of art and the 2.5 inch stainless steel (one hot dog + one muffler) makes the car sounds awesome. Next week when i get back from work and take it to get blue slipped when its up on the hoist ill snap some pics. It a little loud me thinks, maybe even too loud to pass blue slip will have to wait and see haha

Cheers

Last edited by Alexei on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:34 pm 

"a little bit loud"

The poor li'l car - when I bought it, one of the first things that I did was to take it to my favourite exhaust shop (Rob Bliss - Mac's Muffler Mart, Geebung - highly recommend) and asked them to make it quieter!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 pm 

Haha

Too loud indeed...but ill let you be the judge(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaO-qiu0 ... e=youtu.be

First start up after we got it back from the tuners. A little touchy on the clutch combined with low idle meant that she wasnt very forgiving on slow manoeuvre. A little playing with the idle screw fix that problem...no more stalling issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VX4LxnS ... e=youtu.be

Like i said...a little bit too loud. Haha

Last edited by Alexei on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm 

Alexei wrote:
my beloved Enkei comp8s experience sever guard rub at the rear.

I couldn't work out why given that the wheel size and offset was perfect...or so i thought.

When i bought these off Strider, he informed me they were 13 x 6JJ with Offset of 38.

Turns out when i measured them today the offset was actually +25

What is stamped inside the rim? normally they have a +25 or +32, doesn't take much for a lowered mk1 to rub, had you checked one side against the other or made the panhard rod adjustable to centre the rear beam?

Nice build btw, makes me nostalgic when I see a nice mk1 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:50 pm 

Strider asked me to do the very same thing which i will do when im next in sydney.

The only issue is, i measured the offset myself which isn't that hard and it was +25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 pm 

FYI. I don't know how you measure it, but this is the picture taken from that set sent to you

Attachments:
IMG_7243325155283.jpeg
IMG_7243325155283.jpeg [ 88.5 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:10 am 

I think it sounds good :D

Looks like it is going to be petty zippy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:41 am 

And for all those who want to manually measure offset as Alexei did.... https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

And torque is how much you push the wall out of true.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:48 am 

strider wrote:
FYI. I don't know how you measure it, but this is the picture taken from that set sent to you

I personally haven't ever seen those numbers referring to offset, those are usually batch or manufacturing numbers, offset usually has a + symbol before the number.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:03 am 

Dattman wrote:
strider wrote:

I personally haven't ever seen those numbers referring to offset, those are usually batch or manufacturing numbers, offset usually has a + symbol before the number.

Correct dattman

How i measured it....

a) from the back of the rim to the front of the rim using straight edge (rim width)

b) divide by two (centre point of rim)

c) measure from the back of the mounting point (where it sits on the hub) to the back of the rim (back offset)

d) minus b from c

e) thats the offset....if b is larger than c then its positive offset...vice versa its negative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:41 am 

Alexei,
the edges of the rim can be assymetrical. The link I provided shows the centrepoint is determined by measuring between the two lips inside the hub. just sayin.... no matter what, the measurement should be pretty close either way.

I encountered the same issue selling a set of mags. Those numbers do not necessarily indicate offset. And I was duly informed....

And torque is how much you push the wall out of true.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:39 am 

I agree, the width of the rim is measured from the inside lip of the rims where the bead of the tyre sits against the wall of the rim. The centre point should be the same whether using the actual width or the outer width, however if you are then measuring to the hub face and using the outer edge for the measurement and subtracting, then the difference will be out by the width of the wall of the rim.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 pm 

Just wanted to say the car sounds awesome on those clips! My 2c on the rims, roll the guards to suit and go with them they look great :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:35 pm 

Interesting ellpee and pictureshowman. In this case the the offset of the wheels woud be +15 (taking 10mm into account for width of the wall of the rim) which is also consistent with a number 15 that is shown on front of the rims that I couldnt account for before.

This is also consistent with other examples of these enkie compe8 rims that ive been looking at (see link below)

(http://thisoldhonda.org/ads_detail.php?ID=2615)

Which are said to be +38 offset and have the number 38 stamped in the same location on the front of the rim (notice how much more the mounting location is closer to the outwards facing edge of the rim).

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50212

Thanks for clarifying that guys...would have hated to had sold them to someone under the false pretenses of the offset being +25 when in fact its +15 then have them end up in the same predicament as me.

Tassie...I wish it was that simple. All the guard rolling in the world couldnt make them fit unfortunately...id have to get out the grinder and get flares to get them to fit and im not sure that im that keen...esp considering mk1s came with stock offset rims of +40...im looking for something closer to +33 to +35ish

Cheers guys

Alexei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 pm 

+15 is a classic rwd offset and makes much more sense than +25 which is neither fwd or rwd.
13x5.5 with a 38mm offset is much easier to find than a 13x6 with a suitable fwd offset(30-32).

This might not be up your alley but it's an option... Revolution wheels make 4 spoke blanks in 13x6 which you can machine out to get a 32mm offset/120mm backspace, not sure if there is anywhere in Australia but Palmside supply them here, they supplied me 13x7 blanks, they organised to get them drilled with steel inserts, hub machined down to give me 119mm backspace for less than NZ$250 per wheel including machining and inserts.

UK site showing options.
http://tyresave.co.uk/revoroad.html#4SPOKE

Palmside are the NZ & AUS agents for Quaife so send a lot of stuff over the ditch.
http://www.palmside.co.nz/product_pcid_15614.html

Rims are made in China and shipped directly to NZ instead of being routed through the Revolution headquarters in the UK, saves time and cost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next