It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: King Springs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm 

Has anyone fitted King Springs to their cars?
I've seen the ads on Ebay, just wondering if anyone has these
They lower the car by 30mm, would I be able to use the std factory shock absorbers or not?

Post subject: Re: King Springs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:12 pm 

Vuka1 wrote:
They lower the car by 30mm, would I be able to use the std factory shock absorbers or not?

Bchzi has been running lowered king with that he bought from me years ago. Just remember to trim the rear bump stops by one ring. Otherwise you back will pay the price.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:38 pm 

Yes you should be able to use stock shocks, like mark said cut the bump stops shorter, I have tein lowered spring and suzukisport lowered bump stops fitted with factory shocks for about 18months also don't forget adjustable panhard rod for the rear.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:46 pm 

For the panhard rod grab a commodore adjustable rod off ebay. Have a 110mm section welded in.

You will need to slightly modify one end to fit in the upper chassis mount.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:59 pm 

i think i bought one from you awhile ago mark? i still have it in the shed cause i also bought cusco panhard rod and fitted it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:13 pm 

Im running kings .... with the standard shocks, and without cutting bumpstops, there's only about 5mm clearance, so they literally bottom out on EVERY BUMP which makes for a stupidly bumpy ride. Initially i cut the bumpstops down too low, which bought a quick demise to the factory rear shocks. I upgraded the rears with heavy duty rear Pedders items (cheap!), and put some Suzuki Sport shortened bumpstops in the rear which offer a far more superior ride the the oem ones, they're a completely different material! I haven't bothered with a rear panhard rod, and it's been like this for about 2y.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:04 pm 

Anyone got the part numbers for Kings springs ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:14 pm 

Front: ksfl-44
Rear: ksrl-45
If my memory is correct I think the rears are the same as some subaru wrx? Would need to check on web site:
Www.kingsprings.com

Cheers rowan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:56 pm 

markymark wrote:
Vuka1 wrote:

Bchzi has been running lowered king with that he bought from me years ago. Just remember to trim the rear bump stops by one ring. Otherwise you back will pay the price.

They have been running on the shelf for about 2 years.. haven't put them in.. keeping the Ignis stock for as long as possible ;)

Sp33dY wrote:
Im running kings .... with the standard shocks, and without cutting bumpstops, there's only about 5mm clearance, so they literally bottom out on EVERY BUMP which makes for a stupidly bumpy ride. Initially i cut the bumpstops down too low, which bought a quick demise to the factory rear shocks. I upgraded the rears with heavy duty rear Pedders items (cheap!), and put some Suzuki Sport shortened bumpstops in the rear which offer a far more superior ride the the oem ones, they're a completely different material! I haven't bothered with a rear panhard rod, and it's been like this for about 2y.

If your bump stops are modifying your ride comfort, you're too low!

I have seen an adjustable panhard rod available on Yahoo auctions, have been considering bringing one in via Import Monster before I lower it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:29 pm 

suzi sports24 wrote:
i think i bought one from you awhile ago mark? i still have it in the shed cause i also bought cusco panhard rod and fitted it.

Is the separator/spreader made of ally? Check out what happened to Keigo when he hit a guard rail. I still believe a high tensile separator/spreader is best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:58 pm 

I've got the Cusco panhard rod on its way from Japan, plus a set of king springs to fit up (and whiteline camber bolts), busy times ahead!

Anyone know whether you can easily pull apart the Ignis front struts, I have a rattle gun, but am wondering if I will need a special strut top tool to undo the tops and release the springs (I already have springs compressors).
We tried pulling apart a ralliart colt's front struts a while and couldn't manage to get the nut undone on the strut tops due to the shaft wanting to spin around, I don't think my compressor/rattle gun combination was powerful enough.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 am 

igsport wrote:
I've got the Cusco panhard rod on its way from Japan, plus a set of king springs to fit up (and whiteline camber bolts), busy times ahead!

Anyone know whether you can easily pull apart the Ignis front struts, I have a rattle gun, but am wondering if I will need a special strut top tool to undo the tops and release the springs (I already have springs compressors).
We tried pulling apart a ralliart colt's front struts a while and couldn't manage to get the nut undone on the strut tops due to the shaft wanting to spin around, I don't think my compressor/rattle gun combination was powerful enough.

You have all the tools you need. My one piece of advice is to crack to top nut when the strut is still fitted to the car.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:53 am 

Igsport, did you end up getting the Cusco panhard rod fitted to your IS?
Did it make much of a difference?
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:10 pm 

Bobby

Get the usual commodore steel panhard rod from enay and has an 100mm section welded into it.

Yes it did tighten up the rear end.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:52 pm 

Thanks Markus, I've just been able to source a 2nd hand cusco lateral rod for my IS.
Getting that & the king springs fitted this week.
Will let you know what I think of the handling...
What car are you driving these days?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 pm 

Yes I did fit the Cusco panhard rod, but not to improve handling but to restore the alignment of the rear axle, as it sits noticibly too far to one side when lowered. Ignis handles great now, but had to cut down the stock bump stops a reasonable distance (bit more than what was recommended by SuzukiSport for their suspension kit). Will probably look to having coilovers soon hopefully, really need better shocks to suit the springs, still the handling is pretty good for what it is. I found front strut bar, rear swaybar, under bracing and a full set of urethane bush kits for front and rear is probably a better investment than buying springs alone. Then you can just filt coilovers once a few dollars have been saved up. Don't forget to check out the UK Ignis Sport website for more info & pics. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:24 am 

Got the King Springs fitted last Friday
Did anyone find out they needed a wheel alignment after having lowered their cars from the std height?
Also, the rears are squeaking like crazy! And it's not just going over bumps in the road. Just getting out of the car is enough to make them squeak! Has anyone else experienced this?
Or has my mechanic missed fitting something?
They have quietened down a bit, is it just a case of the rears bedding in? Fronts are no problem...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:47 pm 

Vuka1 wrote:
Got the King Springs fitted last Friday
Did anyone find out they needed a wheel alignment after having lowered their cars from the std height?
Also, the rears are squeaking like crazy! And it's not just going over bumps in the road. Just getting out of the car is enough to make them squeak! Has anyone else experienced this?
Or has my mechanic missed fitting something?
They have quietened down a bit, is it just a case of the rears bedding in? Fronts are no problem...

I've had mine in for ~3y and they've always squeaked. I've found it's cos they don't sit correctly in the cups/base properly. If you jack up the rear so the springs are less captive, and turn them a little to one direction and drop it down again you'll find the noise will stop .... but start again after some brisk driving down bumpy roads :)

Mine were a LOT quieter after I wrapped the bottom coil in double sided tape a few months ago .... it's about time I did it again as it's probably almost worn away now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 am 

Thanks Sp3dy
Funny thing is, the noise has all but gone...
Fronts & right rear have been no problem, but the left rear was the noisy one
Looks like the bumpy road down to the beach last w/e may have helped settle the spring down properly, there's been no noise after that
Spoke to my mechanic & he suggested it was just the springs settling into the spring base properly, nothing to worry about...
Definitely hasn't affected the handling, my IS handles a treat now, turn in is unbelievable!!
Yes the ride is stiffer & you feel more of the bumps, but I actually think the ride is more controlled, definitely worth the tradeoff
Might give your tips a go if the left rear narks up again
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:26 pm 

Yeah, was always the rear left that squeaked on mine too.