Magazine Article: New Zealand Performance Car (July 2005)

MK1, MK2, MK3 Swift discussion
bzchi

Before I start... BUY THIS ISSUE NOW! when you have purchased it, come back on the forum and thank me!

I was getting sick of the usual patronising crap in the normal magazines I read so I branched out and got this on a whim. I couldn't believe it when there was an AWD Cultus in the issue I just happened to pick up! :D

From pages 48 -> 52 of this magazine they review a heavily modified (NA) 1990 Cultus GTi AWD. Let me say I have seen a massive amount of mods to GTi's over the last few years running the site but this car still manages to blow me away (and it's not even turbo). I think what amazes me most is this guy has gone about things pretty different to anything I have seen before (few new ideas).

I will do a summary here, but by all means go and buy this magazine (I don't currently have access to a scanner to scan it).

The car is basically race prepped with standard MK2 looks on the exterior. Racing seats, rollcage, custom carbon fibre door trims (look sweet) fill out the interior.

For the engine:
g16a Vitara block with the Cultus g13b head, Honda crankshaft/main bearing girdle (tech guys?), Ross pistons, custom cams, modified 4AGE 20v QTB (:shock: look awesome), carbon fibre inlet manifold, Link ECU.

Driveline (straight from specs):
Modena engineering 5-speed dog box, Quartermaster 5.5 inch twin puck clutch, one-piece flywheel, Suzuki Sport mechanical LSDs front and rear.. operated by a forward and back shift (sequential!)

Also has larger brakes and plenty more mods...

Just get the damn magazine! :D

-edit-

Article is also here:
Cultus Article Pages 1 & 2
Cultus Article Page 3
Cultus Article Page 4
Cultus Article Page 5
Last edited by bzchi on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellpee

Hey Sam,
Drag this down for your records. (host this locally if you wish, (I know I would prefer it)

-edit-

article hosted and links moved to first post.
Last edited by ellpee on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HP dictates how fast you hit the wall
And torque is how much you push the wall out of true.
dmwdave

Hi,
I read the article on this car and a lot of good work has gone into it.
However!
I talked with Frank from Modena engineering who had made the gearset for the 4wd box,it is a dog gearset but is not sequential shift,If you look at the interior shots of the car you can clearly see there are two gearshift cables coming out of the 4wd shifter mechanism.
It does look like a very good job has been carried out throughout the whole car.
Anybody in NZ have a contact with the owner atall!!
Dave
bzchi

Those images aren't working for me at all, are they cached in your browser?

If you could save them and send them to my email at [email protected] I can host them :D
Gards

Ah yea I saw that article in the newsagent a few weeks ago and meant to tell you all about it but evidently I forgot. :P Wish the article gave us some actual power figures and a qm time for example would have been nice.
Last edited by Gards on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bzchi

Thanks for that ellpee, up and running locally now :D
blkmgk

hey dave u might get a contact for the owner from the "Blake Thanks" section of the article coz there is a phone number for "Udy Automotive" but i cant read it on my computer.
maybe sam can post it for anyone trying to get a hold of the owner or builders of the car.
92GT

Honda crankshaft & girdle. Anyone know what crank and what must be done? Can someone contact UDY Automotive and find out. It would be hard for me being in the USA. Unless they have a website.
nzswift

Hi Blackmagic
The phone number for Ivan @ Udy Automotive is NZ 07 8890599
d

92GT wrote:Honda crankshaft & girdle. Anyone know what crank and what must be done? Can someone contact UDY Automotive and find out. It would be hard for me being in the USA. Unless they have a website.
Unfortunately this mystery will always be with the Suzuki G series and they will fade away due to people not able to find budget parts to spruce them up with. Imagine the g16a has closed deck top so much stronger and also 30mm taller which could make an awesome long rod engine.
Also the option could exist with the d15 honda engine apart from the d16 90mm stroke crank. THe d15b has a forged 84.5 crank and the d15a has an 86mm crank which is the same stroke as the much hyped SR20de.
Take your pick but which one and which girdle?

84.5mm stroke with 77.5mm bore = 1594cc
86mm stroke with 77.5mm bore = 1623cc
90mm stroke with 77.5 bore = 1698cc

Ideal turbo combinations?

90mm S x 76mm bore = 1633cc

86mm S x 76mm bore = 1561cc

Offset ground 90mm crank to 94mm which will have smaller journals on crankpins and you can use cbr1000RR rods and custom 78mm pistons

94mm S x 78mm B = 1797cc

similar to the b16 stroker engine which uses 95mm stroke for over 230hp atw
GusGTI

sick of talking to yourself on teamswift? :lol:
Bewitched Gti

Ellpee on teamswift is th man to see 8) he is in New Zealand..and it turns out, after all this work on th 4wd cultus th owner then proceeded to total it hillclimbing :roll: th honda d series crank and girdle will fit th G16 block if you line bore it to suit th honda crank bearings..note it has a factory girdle so youre gettin two upgrades in one :idea:
PM me if you want specifics on th engines that parts are suitably sourced from, full credit to Ellpee..anything i know about it, I sourced from him :wink:
Dattman

Since this thread has been dragged back from the dead I'd like to point out that Blake has 2 other 4wd cultus's so I'm sure if he has crashed it he can always build another...I was talking to Rex Colvin a while back who's good mate of Blake and the word is he spent over NZ$70K on that car...
X.L-00-K.X

Here is a link to buy the Mag.... Thanks BZCHI! :D It looks awsome..

http://secure.parkside.co.nz/eshop/secu ... e6c7e2834e

Mat :)
:shock: XL-00-KX :shock:
bigmac_gti: its not how you race your car, but how you stand beside it
d

GusGTI wrote:sick of talking to yourself on teamswift? :lol:
Youre not wrong Gus but Ill take some consolation that at least Im not the only one. :? :lol:

Now to find the right d16 crank there are so many of the buggers with different journal sizes etc. So far the early D16a1 seems to be the direction but will have to spend my next holidays at pick-a-part getting my hands dirty and my reputation on some hondas and Rovers. :oops:
USAGTi

I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but would anyone happen to have these scans still?