Ignition Barrel Recall

Ignis Sport related discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
pHr34kY
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Hi everyone,

It seems that Suzuki have sent some recall notices to Ignis Sport owners in Europe. Apparently the lubricant in the ignition barrel can carbonise and possible catch fire.

Has anyone in Aus heard of such a recall?
Attachments
recall.jpg
User avatar
pHr34kY
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

It's real guys. Suzuki Australia have officially issued a recall:

https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/inde ... Id/1070129 (RG413)
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... Id/1070175 (RG413)
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... Id/1070589 (YG Cruze)
http://behindthewheel.com.au/news/suzuk ... sk-recall/

Suzuki have recalled 2 million cars worldwide:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/ ... V920150422

It's strange they've only listed the RG413 and the YG Cruze. I would have thought the RG415 would have had the exact same ignition barrel.
rattlyswift
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Central Coast
Location: ACT

Thanks for putting this up, just wanted to ask a quick question..

Does RG413 mean 3-door, and RG415 mean 5-door? If so all Ignis Sports would be part of the recall yeah?

And yes, seems very strange there's a different ignition barrel used between models..
charcoal
Posts: 682
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Brisbane Northside
Location: Brisbane Northside

rattlyswift wrote:Thanks for putting this up, just wanted to ask a quick question..

Does RG413 mean 3-door, and RG415 mean 5-door? If so all Ignis Sports would be part of the recall yeah?

And yes, seems very strange there's a different ignition barrel used between models..
The RG413 indicates the number of cylinders and engine size, not the number of doors, followed by the appointment level - GA/GL/GTI (similar to the Swift where SA413.. and SA310.. are Mk1 4 cylinder and 3 cylinder engine vehicles.)
beyondtool
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:19 pm
Location: Tweed Heads
Location: Brisbane

I just received a letter that my Ignis Sport was under the recall. Have to book it in for next week. I figure it's a remote possibility this problem is widespread as it's taken more than a decade to pick it up.
1200det
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Canberra
Location: Canberra

I just got my letter today also [-o<
bzchi
Moderator
Posts: 10842
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: INT

Also got one... running out of space inside the door for recall stickers :lol:
User avatar
IGNIS SPORT
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: 4870

Just got my IS Recall done,apparently mine look like it had been real hot at some stage and had heat marks to show.Id once or twice smelt a very light burning plastic smell and just assumed it was something outside coming thru the vents as it would go away pretty dame fast,turns out it was this ignition part that been recalled.
Jazzy
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Australia

bzchi wrote:Also got one... running out of space inside the door for recall stickers :lol:
Where exactly are the recall stickers? Recently purchased an Ignis Sport and I cannot see any stickers on the doors. How many recall stickers should there be? 8-[

Also, do you only get a letter if you are the original owner?
User avatar
IGNIS SPORT
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: 4870

Should be three on the A pillar near door lock when the ignition recall is done,one for the passenger side air bag,another for cir-clip on passenger side drive shaft.But basically Suzuki records if cars recalls is done so know need to worry about stickers.
rattlyswift
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Central Coast
Location: ACT

Jazzy wrote:Also, do you only get a letter if you are the original owner?
Nope, you should get one as the current registered owner - we're the third owner of an IS and we got a letter last week. That said, if you've just only changed ownership I can easily see a letter going to the previous owner and not you.. I can't see any prob with you chasing it up yourself.

The missus' car got done in Brisbane yesterday, only thing I've heard is they needed it for 6 hours rather than the 3 they originally said.
Jazzy
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Australia

IGNIS SPORT wrote:Should be three on the A pillar near door lock when the ignition recall is done,one for the passenger side air bag,another for cir-clip on passenger side drive shaft.But basically Suzuki records if cars recalls is done so know need to worry about stickers.
Thanks. Nothing there.
Three recalls! Wow. Airbag related to the current mass airbag recall??
Drive shaft coming lose and possible fire from ignition switch. Bit worrying.
Jazzy
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Australia

rattlyswift wrote:
Jazzy wrote:Also, do you only get a letter if you are the original owner?
Nope, you should get one as the current registered owner - we're the third owner of an IS and we got a letter last week. That said, if you've just only changed ownership I can easily see a letter going to the previous owner and not you.. I can't see any prob with you chasing it up yourself.

The missus' car got done in Brisbane yesterday, only thing I've heard is they needed it for 6 hours rather than the 3 they originally said.
Thanks rattlyswift. Will have to book into Suzuki to get it checked.
User avatar
IGNIS SPORT
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: 4870

Jazzy wrote:
Thanks. Nothing there.
Three recalls! Wow. Airbag related to the current mass airbag recall??
Drive shaft coming lose and possible fire from ignition switch. Bit worrying.

Nothing to do with latest Airbag recall,apparently the explanation for the recall,was that the passenger side air bag was folded wrong,and if it was ever deployed in a accident it would force the occupant side ways towards the door.
The cir-clip issue was due to a poor quality item not made to the standard fitted to the passenger side drive shaft (at gearbox) and would let go forcing the drive shaft from box, causing the disengagement of the box and loosing half the gearbox oil in the process so you would effectively loose drive.My one died in my drive way so Im was required to do the recall myself (parts supplied by Suzuki) as there was a pool of oil all under car in the morning.Messy job draining gearbox oil and cleaning up the mess .
As for the ignition it is a real fire issue with age and should be corrected ASAP,as my one had already shown its potential for fire.
Vuka14
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:27 am
Location: Melbourne

Yep, got my notice last week
Booked the car in for Sat
Old-school, weber-inducted, four pot rorty
User avatar
pHr34kY
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Yep. I got my letter too.
valentind73
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:24 pm
Location: Paris

rattlyswift wrote:Thanks for putting this up, just wanted to ask a quick question..

Does RG413 mean 3-door, and RG415 mean 5-door Garde Meubles Paris ? If so all Ignis Sports would be part of the recall yeah?

And yes, seems very strange there's a different ignition barrel used between models..
Indeed, it is a code which normally designates the three doors.
Post Reply