It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: FUEL ECONOMY
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:18 am 

Just returned from round trip from Cairns to newcastle and back in my ignis toweing a box trailer full of animals and gear and returned what I think was exceptional fuel economy of just over 30 m/g doing the speed limit . the worst I got was 28.5 m/g and the best was just under 32 m/g considering I useually get around the 40 m/g when not toweing so was very surprised of how efficient the little car was and how easily it towed the trailer. Very impressed to say the least. :)

Post subject: Re: FUEL ECONOMY
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:59 am 

Awesome go the IGGY , What sort of Revs are these cars doing at 100 kph or 120kph

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:21 pm 

at 100kph it's just over 3000rpm

FYI I just completed an economy run with my Iggy Sport
filled the tank to full last week & refilled last night
tank took just over 14l to refill, odo was showing 265km

so that's 5.3 litres per 100km, pretty good I reckon
mix of suburban & hwy driving

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:26 pm 

Hmm. Mine revs at 3500rpm doing 100kph and goes up to 4000rpm doing 110kph. Maybe it's overall wheel size to blame? I'm thinking a custom exhaust is going to be loud revving at 4000rpm on the freeway.

The best economy I've got is 6L/100kms. Average around 7L-7.5L per 100kms still pretty good for the acceleration on offer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:59 pm 

Vuka1 wrote:
at 100kph it's just over 3000rpm

FYI I just completed an economy run with my Iggy Sport
filled the tank to full last week & refilled last night
tank took just over 14l to refill, odo was showing 265km

so that's 5.3 litres per 100km, pretty good I reckon
mix of suburban & hwy driving

that is real amazing mate like i get around 13 KM per litre and by the look of it ur gettin
nearly 19KM per L must be alot of highway stuff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 am 

No, that was a pretty good mix of highway cruising & suburban roads with traffic lights
I'm doing another economy run with my SS foam air filter in place of my K&N cotton filter
I'll let you know how I go

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 pm 

Vuka1 = How did the economy run go ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:53 am 

with the SS foam filter I got 275 km from 17 litres
So that's 6.2 litres per 100km

Bit higher than the K&N, but economy run was during the Melb heatwave a few weeks ago
The K&N gives much smoother throttle response though

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:05 pm 

NO IDEA how you guys are getting such crazy economy! Ive had mine now for 4 weeks and i average around 7.1L/100kms no matter whether it's all freway driving or around town. Majority of my driving is done at 100 or 110 on freeways to and from work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:14 pm 

The best I can get is 6.8 ltrs per 100 ks or just over 43m/g in the old scale,anyone claiming lower figures then that must be traveling well below the speed limits on open roads.The only way you can get a accurate figure on fuel economy is buy fueling the car to the its almost over flowing set your trip meter back to zero , then drive it untill the light comes on , refuel right to the top again,check how many ltrs its used buy how many ks its travelled on your trip meter. Othewise theres to many variables that will give you and inaccurate result.My best fuel economy is always in the winter / night where the temperatures at its lowest.But on average around town is about 7.5 ltrs per 100(35 m/g ) whitch is very good considering no 6 or 8s can ever dream of those figures .So Id say your running just about spot on with its fuel economy.And one of the biggest factors is the quality of fuel you get, some days its good some days not so. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:48 pm 

Yeah Ignus Sport ... that's exactly the way im figuring out economy. Using L's the tank takes to refil & the Kms im doing, and using http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/fu ... iency.html to figure it out.

All im using is 98Ron Shell V-Power.

I had a mate with a Swift Sport try and convince me he was averaging 5.9l/100kms until i sent him the link above. No idea how he was calculating it, but in reality he was only managing 7.9l/100kms.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:28 pm 

YEAH ive had these same kind of people make all sorts of wild claims of fuel economy ,but they never seem to know how to really get and accurate figure .Generally theres this one upsmen attitude comes out.Run my one mostly on caltex vortex 95 doent see any change in drivability or economy then running it on 98 ron. Think the whole 98 ron thing could be a bit of a wank.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 am 

My tyres were inflated to about 34psi & i've got a CAI

My driving style was to get to top gear as soon as possible & driving at or below the speed limit which meant staying below 3500rpm

Minimum use of aircon

I drive through the largest intersection in Victoria each morning & afternoon, there are about 60 traffic lights at the corner of Dandenong & Springvale roads, I'm usually idling for a few minutes before I get past, so during the economy run the car was switched off since I wasn't moving

This isn't the way I usually drive, it was just to see what figure the IS could get down to
But I do agree that there are too many variables that influence the final figure including driving style

Driving normally 7.5l per 100km sounds about right

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:01 am 

Just completed a 6500 k road trip from Cairns to Bathurst and back Toweing same box trailer with animals and the normal car stuffed full of gear.Been nearly to year since my last big road trip and surprise ,surprise the IS got almost identical fuel economy as the trip before and average of 31Mg (9.1 ltrs per hundred).Worst I got was 26.5 mg south of townsville toeing into a severe head wind ,and the best I got was 36 mg on the motor way thru Brisbane. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:57 pm 

Just like to add here. I have monitored my fuel usage quite a bit since I have owned it. Generally get better fuel economy using Shell V-Power. When I first got the car I was getting around 6.4 l/100km. Now I am seeing closer to 7l/100km. When I saw over 7l/100km I pondered why, and the only thing I could think of was fuel as I had been using Caltex 98 for the Woolworths discounts. If I am getting worse fuel economy though, then I may as well just get the Shell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:00 am 

Yeah I must say that I used to swear by BP Ultimate, but with the oil spill fiasco I've started questioning my support. I have found that V-Power offers very good mileage around 7l/100kms sometimes a little better. I was spooked by Shell Optimax years ago and spoke to a few mechanics about the pink build up which can seize an engine, but from what I can tell V-Power is a very different fuel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:23 am 

Ive run all brands of fuel from caltex vortexs to bp ultimate and evey thing inbetween when Ive done my fuel economy checks.I will say I get a little better fuel economy out of bp ultimate but its lost due to the extra cost of buying it. But on average there doesnt seem mutch if any difference between all the others be it 95 ron or 98. :)