It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Wife wouldn't let me get an SX4...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:51 pm 

Well, today I was car shopping today. The wife insists that a two-door 935kg hatch isn't suitable for lugging around an infant, although I'd beg to differ.

We were tossing up between an SX4 and a Mazda 3. If you compare the spec sheets, you'll find the differences are 1cc of capacity, 1kw of power, 1nm or torque and 1kg of mass.

However the SX4 was about $2000 more (as a swapover for the Ignis). Naturally, I put a deposit down on the SX4.

...but the wife had a whinge, and now I've had to cancel that and get the Mazda. Apparently it's prettier or something. Well, that and the SX4 seemed to be worth half as much a year later, while the Mazda actually held its value.

Anyway, as of Thursday I won't have a Suzuki... but I'lll probably grab another one as soon as finance permits. While supporting a mortgage, a wife, a child and (now) a car loan off a single income, that'll probably be a while off.

...but I'll still hang around. If anyone needs a navigator for a cruise, let me know :)

Post subject: Re: Wife wouldn't let me get an SX4...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:23 am 

Hang in there - you're not about to lose contact with your Redline mates just because you're not actually driving a 'Zuki. I went through a patch where I didn't own one (and even organised a cruise at the time) due to a lack of funds/employment. Your idea of being a navigator definitely sounds like the way to go for the moment. I'm sure the Victorian guys will manage to find you a seat somehow.

I can see where your other half is coming from with the resale situation on the Mazda vs the SX4 - I guess the Iggy didn't do as well as it should have at trade-in time. From the pictures you have posted it sounds like someone will be getting a good car. While the Mazda is probably a good car overall, the "looks" are pretty much a subjective thing. Best of luck with it :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:39 am 

I have two kids (7 N 4 ) WE all fit in to the ignis just fine, brought very compact stollers when the kids where smaller and found just buy packing smart every thing fits in quiet fine.Shame you had to give up your ignis ,Maybe you should of tryed an seen how it went first . :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:35 am 

IGNIS SPORT wrote:
Maybe you should of tryed an seen how it went first . :)

I did. He's 2 months old now. Personally, I was quite impressed how the pram folded and fit into the boot, and how the passenger seat slides so far forward that you can step into the car to buckle the child in. And yes, if you packed the shopping wherever it would fit, you could easily get it all in. I also liked the fact that it only consumed 2/3 of a parking space, so there's always room to get the pram out. Even the passenger seat could get within two notches of fully back with the baby capsule in.

At the end of the day, the wife just thought it was slightly awkward (even though it was possible). Although that's what I like about the Ignis. It may have difficulty with some tasks, but everything always possible to some extent. If it was me, I would have just put up with the Ignis. It wouldn't be an issue in 8 months time when the baby outgrows the capsule.

...and now I owe thousands of dollars to some 'Gatto' character.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:43 pm 

I'm surprised your other half couldn't be swayed by the SX4 sedan. The boot space is the equivalent of a Commodore - no joke!

Can't argue with resale though, especially if you only plan on having the car a few years. you'll always do your arse on a Suzuki in the short term.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:30 pm 

Sorry to hear you've lost the Iggy Russ
It would have been good to do one more cruise together with the two silver Iggys our front leading the pack!!
I've just been flat out building our new home, I've had no time to organise/attend anything
Cheers
Vuka1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:18 pm 

Vuka1 wrote:
I've just been flat out building our new home

Yeah, same here (well, renovations, and now the baby). Petrol's cheap again and the weather is warming up. Cruising would be nice. I get the feeling it might briefly become popular after the fourth instalment of F&F is released, but I don't wanna be around for that.

Oh, and speaking of resale - I checked the Mazda website today and they knocked $1000 off the RRP of the car on the same day that we purchased the car. Seeing that we bargained them down a lot more than that, the final price would've been the same, but the whole time the 'discount' we thought we were getting was actually $1000 less... grrr! car damn dealers and their 'spin'.

Oh well, the Ignis Sport dropped by a LOT more than that (I think about $3K) about 2 months after I bought it. You'd think I'd see that coming by now...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:31 pm 

Theres one way around not selling a car you like because the MRS want you to ,Get her interested in cars performance ,handerling . I did now my MRS is are bigger rev head then me , Know more basic shopping trolleys for me the MRS wouldnt have it , now all I have to do is get her intrested in an upgrade mmmm maybe a golf gti. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:36 pm 

Getting the other half interested in performance is a huge mistake - you end up with twice the cost and twice the amount of work! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:21 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Getting the other half interested in performance is a huge mistake - you end up with twice the cost and twice the amount of work! :lol:

That's quite true. Particularly when we had two cars. For every dollar I spent on mine, she wanted something for hers.

..but with one car, you can probably get away with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 pm 

NA she only allowed to lern the driving side of performance ,The mecanical sides all mine , that way you stay in control. You see someone got to do the cooking cleaning and all those other domestic duties, whilst one tinkers with the ignis .You must get your Priorities right. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:57 pm 

Damn, and here I am doing the bloody dishes!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:59 am 

The Mazda should be good, they're supposed to drive well. I'd choose a 3 over an SX4 myself (though I'd have the Ignis over either!). I don't think it pays to be to loyal to a brand either ... make them earn it! ... and and a bit of variety in life is a good thing.
What model of 3 is it?

Last edited by Pugman on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:42 am 

I hear the Mazda 3 has a good diesel engine
Stiffened & braced body & suspension tune from the SP23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:47 pm 

emm, why did you call me, i could do a sway with my SX4 AWD (fully optioned) you now, i will love to get back into the the ignis sport.......... :( , and how much r u trading your IS for, and also i have a friend that is 2IC at a mazda dealership tooo.... damn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:47 pm 

Keigo wrote:
emm, why did you call me, i could do a sway with my SX4 AWD (fully optioned) you now, i will love to get back into the the ignis sport.......... :( , and how much r u trading your IS for, and also i have a friend that is 2IC at a mazda dealership tooo.... damn

Actually, there's some good news. My dad purchased the Ignis off me because he thought the dealer wasn't giving me what it was worth (redbook agrees). He's not all that willing to part with his Toyota Echo (although it admits it's far too slow), but the Ignis may end up for private sale. It basically all comes down to whether my sister can afford his Echo or not.. except she's doing a lap of Australia at the moment, so I won't know until she gets back.

If he decides to get rid of it privately, I'll post it up here. Well, I'll probably call Keigo first.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:07 pm 

Me thinks (as a mazda service and parts advisor) you have done yourself a good deal with a 3. theyve proven to be really reliable for us. But i also think the 3 and the SP23 have different suspension, different camber rates etc as it simply has a 6 engine in it; and the face that SP23 tyres dont last long at all. Make sure your dealers dont jack up the prices on you though; expect to pay 180ish dollars for a 10-30-70-90km service (oil and filter); 220-240 for a 20-60-100km service; 50km services are around the same due to auto fluid/air filter recommended changes and 40-80-120 etc (multiples of 40) will be 430-450 due to brake fluid/pollen filter/coolant if necessary etc. Just a heads up from a mazda worker to a fellow suzuki fan.
I can assure you; i think the biggest problem we have had with 3's are water pump gaskets, we have done 3 in series 1 high k's cars. yep. pretty bulletproof.
They chew through the wiper blades though. Genuine ones are like 30 bucks. go for non gen.
Tata. feedback and questions MORE than welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:33 pm 

Just an update.

My Dad decided he couldn't use the car, so it ended up going to my brother-in-law (for the same price I was offered as a trade-in). What's good is that he really likes it, and he's really eager to cruise with you guys. On the next cruise, the old Iggy will definitely be there, and I'll be riding up-front as a navigator.

So far the Mazda 3 is pretty good. There's only two things that seem to annoy me:

• Tyres: It came with the same Yokohama Aspecs that my wife's old mirage came with. Those tyres were responsible for the car aquaplaning into another vehicle not once, but twice. Those rubbish tyres lasted all of two days on the Mazda before I was rolling on a set of ContiPremiumContact2 treads. I've got a friend who owns a tyre shop, so I traded up pretty cheap. The car feels heaps better on them. Words cannot explain the difference a decent set of tyres can make.
  • Fly-by-wire: This just irritates me to no end. I'm used to a car where my right foot is directly connected to the butterfly valve, giving me full control over the throttle. The Mazda has a computer inbetween which seems to either ignore or exaggerate every movement I make with the accelerator. If I change gears, it takes too long to drop the revs (making it impossible to shift at anything quicker than what my grandmother would). This also makes it impossible to get lift-off oversteer (lifting off is sometimes the only way through a corner - particularly when the car doesn't have ESP). When I do a heel-toe downshift, it seems impossible to get it to rev up to exactly where I want it to. With the Ignis this was second nature, and I could nail it on every gearshift. I'm told that this drive-by-wire exists solely for people who have no control over their own bodily functions. I don't like driving a car that ignores me like I'm some kind of retard. I might speak to the dealer and see if there's any way of getting some throttle response out of it.

I intend on doing my own oil changes. Looks a bit trickier than the Ignis, mainly because of that stupid plastic undercarriage that's in the way of the oil filter.

Aside from that, there's nothing too wrong with it. The wife seems to love it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:42 pm 

Thanks for the update

pHr34kY wrote:
[*]Fly-by-wire: ... When I do a heel-toe downshift, it seems impossible to get it to rev up to exactly where I want it to. With the Ignis this was second nature, and I could nail it on every gearshift. I'm told that this drive-by-wire exists solely for people who have no control over their own bodily functions. I don't like driving a car that ignores me like I'm some kind of retard. ...[/list]

Totally agree with that. Same experience with the Astra hire car we had in England in November. I'm sure people like Porsche can engineer a fly-by-wire throttle to have the right feel but they don't bother on bread and butter cars.

By warned though that cable throttles are almost extinct. Perhaps the only decent new car for sale that still has one is the Swift (non-sport), and that won't be for long, the Hungaran built ones went fly-by-wire with the 08 facelift. Effing depressing. I'm going to be driving old cars for the rest of my days.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:06 am 

Sounds good Russell, glad to hear your silver Iggy is still around
I'll definitely be posting a thread in the NY regarding the Black Spur cruise in Feb09