It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Thinking of buying an Ignis, tips?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:37 pm 

At the moment I am seriously looking for an Ignis sport to replace the wife's totalled Vitara. I'm looking to spend around $10,000 so I figure it's the most amount of fun with good economy I could get in that price range (any other suggestions appreciated though). I love my 98 cino extreme, but it's getting long in the tooth so whatever I get will be my last car before I "hopefully" start the family. I've got my heart set on blue, but I would sway to black or possibly silver. Anyone thinking about selling their car feel free to pm me.

Any advice on what to look for buying one would be most appreciated. Cheers. :D

Post subject: Re: Thinking of buying an Ignis, tips?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:16 am 

yeah the ignis sports is a good choice any colour looks good, good with fuel and fun to drive. wont loose your licence to quickly!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:55 pm 

This from the UK Ignis Sport site may help
http://www.sisoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3857

I'm not aware of any faults specific to the Ignis Sport, so think it is just a case of looking for the usual used car things. There have been a couple of recalls (main one was a driveshaft circlip) so you could check these have been done ... but even if not Suzuki should do them for free.

Really being as objective as I can I think they are a great car and very under-rated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:24 pm 

Pugman wrote:
I think they are a great car and very under-rated.

Would have to agree, my tip would be to buy one, you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:45 pm 

The only thing I can think of to check would be to make sure that it has the pink sticker affixed from the recall.

I'll make a prediction and say that because they were so underrated and sold poorly, the humble Ignis Sport will become a niche collectible in years to come.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:45 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
I'll make a prediction and say that because they were so underrated and sold poorly, the humble Ignis Sport will become a niche collectible in years to come.

I'm thinking the same thing. I can't believe that they sold so few.

I can't think of any 'wear and tear' items to look for, or any common problems for that matter. All I've had to do with mine is replace the oil and tyres on the odd occasion.

I'm about to start a family with the IS as my only car. From what I can tell, it can actually fit everything in there, but I'm yet to determine the difficulty of dealing with two doors, and I suspect the solid ride in the back seat may be a problem. But I'm running my tyres 38PSI, and the council recently littered my street with speed humps.

Actually, you'll need to check the tyres. The factory ones are $700-$800 for a set. You may find bald/cheap tyres on a second hand one and then discover how much it costs to restore it to its former glory.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:52 pm 

I think there's one still going for $8000 on carsales, I was so tempted to buy that car again and do all suspension mods on it. I still love this car as much as I did before!

The stock Yokohamas are really good tyres, even when they're bald! One thing I really regret NOT doing to my car was changing rims so it's not 5 inches wide, the only fault to such a magnificent car.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:24 pm 

Went for a test drive today, loved the car can't believe how fully featured it is. I'm still looking for sub $10,000 one in good nick.

Has anyone had any dramas with parts for the Ignis. That's probably my only concern cost and availability of parts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:08 pm 

beyondtool wrote:
Went for a test drive today, loved the car can't believe how fully featured it is. I'm still looking for sub $10,000 one in good nick.

Has anyone had any dramas with parts for the Ignis. That's probably my only concern cost and availability of parts.

Depends what you're worried about.. I was always concerned the motor/engine parts would become an issue later down the road.. but now with the swift having the M15A also it shouldn't be a drama.

As for body parts etc. may be a bit harder to find over time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:55 pm 

That's good to know I'm not going to be left out in the cold if I have mechanical issues. Bodywork can always be beaten, or use the wreckers I guess. I'm sold on the ignis, the wife is 50/50 and my sister said we should be getting a small 4 door car, but I cringe at the options in our price range (jazz, getz or god forbid colt). :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm 

If you need a small four door then look at a Pulsar N16 ST sedan. Plenty of grunt in the 1.8 litre, parts are no problem because there are millions of them on the road, they have a massive boot and the best part is they can be picked up cheaply because there are so many in the market.

I would suggest a Baleno GTX sedan as well, only the back end looks like a bag of smashed crabs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:13 pm 

beyondtool wrote:
That's good to know I'm not going to be left out in the cold if I have mechanical issues. Bodywork can always be beaten, or use the wreckers I guess. I'm sold on the ignis, the wife is 50/50 and my sister said we should be getting a small 4 door car, but I cringe at the options in our price range (jazz, getz or god forbid colt). :oops:

Glad you liked it. I haven't had any parts problems. They're still only 4 to 5 years old so I don't think it will be an issue for years yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:22 pm 

I'm looking at spending $10,000 on a car that is fun to drive, 8L per 100kms, must have around 50,000kms, less than 5years old and reliable. I don't think either the Subaru Impreza or a Pulsar fall into that category (I'm not really a huge fan either, but the wife is). I did see a 2007 Fiesta with an XR4 bodykit, looked good for $12,000 but it's not going to be a patch on an Ignis sport. I'm going to try a another dealer in Brissie this weekend.

We actually saw a tidy Polo Gti today and the wife said, what about that car. I said sure love, if you don't mind paying $20,000. Unfortunately she said definitely no.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:02 pm 

beyondtool wrote:
We actually saw a tidy Polo Gti today and the wife said, what about that car. I said sure love, if you don't mind paying $20,000. Unfortunately she said definitely no.

I looked through the Carsales.com.au the other day and was surprised at how many 2nd hand 06-07 Polo GTIs are currently being listed for sale.
I have seen a white one asking $16,000. Which i think represents a good buy if there are nothing wrong with the car.

Perhaps they don't perform as well as buyers' expectation? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:20 pm 

just buy 1 there awsome

and u will look forward 2 getting in it every day :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:43 pm 

[quote="o-man"]just buy 1 there awsome

and u will look forward 2 getting in it every day :mrgreen:[/quote]

extremely agree =D>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 pm 

Yeah, yeah wife seems cool and I'm totally sold. Wife's not 100% but she will be once we get one (I think I'm wearing her down, tip for you married blokes "pick your battles"). Going up to Brissie this weekend to test drive another one see if the dealer will shift on price. Otherwise I will fly down to Melbourne and pick up one of the cheaper offerings and drive it back. Could be a fun long weekend...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:20 pm 

Thanks for the help guys, we finally tracked down the "one" today. It's a stock Black Ignis with 47XXX on the clock in great condition with a full service history. The salesman called it a "blank canvas" and we had a good chat about Ignis mods and the swift sport. Didn't have too many dramas talking the dealer down, he was keen to move the car.

Everything was done including the driveshaft circlip, ironically none of the other cars we looked at had the recall checked..bit of a worry how many are out there with this fault. Now I just need to figure out how to be patient until Saturday when we pick it up. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:46 pm 

Might also want to check for the second recall too (passenger side airbag bracket)

If it's not done, it will be free from a Suzuki dealer.