It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Strut Brace
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:21 am 

I noticed that are lot of you guys run strut ( tower ) braces . But can anybody actually know if these things work or a more of a visual aid (looks good ) and does nothing but dresses up the engine bay , my point would be that the top strut mounts ( rubber ) would flexs before the cars body shell so would remove any gain to be made . In short, I think It may be a bit of a wank to expect any gain.,but someone could always correct me of this . :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:02 pm 

Don't blame you for being cynical but a good one is not just cosmetic. The brace stops the body flexing rather than the suspension itself. It is the improved body rigidity that makes the improvement to the handling by keeping the alignment of everything right.

I put one on the Ignis and it transformed the way it handled lumps, bumps and potholes - so much tighter feeling. First time I drove it after fitting the strut brace was just a short urban trip and even my other half in the passenger seat remarked on the difference. Much less crashy over bumps etc.. It was well worth it just for that!

So I'm sure it is a lot more rigid. As a result it handles far better on rough surfaces/mid-corner bumps. It's harder to quantify the improvment to handling on a smooth road, but I'm confident there is improvement - must be better for being stiffer.

And if they didn't work why would all competition cars use them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:48 pm 

Most competition cars have there inner guard braced to the fire wall because they run solid ( aluminium ) top strut mounts and generally run on ultra smooth tracks , sure there is plenty of factory cars fitted with bars so there must be something in that . I personally fitted one to my previous two cars ( vt SS commodore, Hyundai accent ) never of them seemed to change the handling feel at all and trust me I pushed their handling abilities . I personally think the struts want to bend back towards the centre of the fire wall so bracing them between the two towers, I still cant see a gain. Anyway they look good so I probably track one down and fit one , I must say the little ice-cream vans ( IS ) do handle ok with the slightest tendency to under steer when pushed that little bit harder fun for sure no doubting that gives those larger cars a run for ther money ,bring on the next round about or twisty bit of road. But i must admit Ive been blown off buy a golf gti in the handling stakes ( sad but true ) :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:15 pm 

I think the Ignis has quite poor body flex so maybe it needs one more to keep the front chasis legs where they should be. Whatever, I certainly feel a difference.

Can still get the Cusco brace new from Mazsport in NZ if you want. They're agents for NZ and Aus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:57 am 

Thanks for the advice Ill see if I can track one down, I even tryed removed the resignator boxs from the intake as many people have surgesterd , to be honest I believe done squat also both thru sound or performance . Id already fitted a K n N filter anyway so thats all you need to do in that area.thoughts, 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:55 am 

K&N sounds good - what do you think of it? I have a suzukisport foam filter element normally with all the trunking in place. Also have a suzukisport pod and cold air scoop but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 am 

northern exposure wrote:
Thanks for the advice Ill see if I can track one down, I even tryed removed the resignator boxs from the intake as many people have surgesterd , to be honest I believe done squat also both thru sound or performance . Id already fitted a K n N filter anyway so thats all you need to do in that area.thoughts, 8)

I'm told that it's there to stabilise the airflow going into the throttle body, so you'd probably get better performance if you just left it there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:22 pm 

I removed my resonator & the induction noise increased considerably
I was also able to create a nice CAI to the front of the car
No detrimental effect on performance I think the filter should smooth the incoming air somewhat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:50 pm 

The K n N works ok as a filter and its ability to be able to be cleaned sure saves you in the long run ,but as for power gain if there was any you dont feel it or hear it ,Its like most things hyped up with no real substance . I even thought about a hyclone but I had one on my v8 no more power but a slight fuel miladge gain about 1 mile to the gallon on average so I guess I might give that another go . thoughts :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:59 pm 

I think the aftermarket filters do work just don't expect a massive power increase

The cotton filters are known to have higher flow rates but the foam filters are better at dust retention

I've got an SS Powerfilter in my car & the major benefit is much smoother throttle response, and the fact you can re-use the filter & save $$$

I've ordered an OMP strut brace for my car, going by Pugman's comments it should be good