It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Excessive oil coming from breather
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:21 pm 

We had an unfortunate event take out our rescently completed Mark 2 which not only wrote of the body but snapped the rear engine mount from the new engine and transmission making them both unusable except for the inside. Not sure about the new head as we haven't taken it off yet but we do know the intake manifold has snapped off so no longer connected to the head... So we bought another running Mark 3 with lots of goodies and in very nice condition inside and out. Turns out the oil leak mentioned in the add was oil coming out of the breather, flooding into the intake pipe and running down and out the drain hole in the air filter box. I rerouted the hose from the breather to a 2 liter milk bottle and in 120klm it collected 250ml ....Probably a bit excessive I should think. The engine starts easy, runs and idles smoothly, has no knocks or rattles hot or cold and goes hard... Any thoughts...could it just be the worst blow by ever recorded or is the maybe a drain under the rocker cover that is blocked... Such a shame as apart from this the car is awesome...The air filters cleanable foam outer had rotted away from oil and has probably been sucked into the engine. There was a 50x50mm section missing.. Someone has done a lot of performance and handling and braking mods and we are happy with the car. Just wondering how it is possible for it to be breathing 250ml of oil out in 120ks...

Post subject: Re: Excessive oil coming from breather
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:28 pm 

This mystery continues. The amount of oil now being caught in the new 1.5lt Coke Catch bottle is determined by how the car is driven. Drive like Miss Daisy and it will only overflow 30-50ml in a couple of days driving to and from work, friends etc . Take it for a spirited drive up into the mountains at night and it can use 1lt+ in an hour...The first thing to come to mind is blow by but.. a compression test has shown all 4 cyl at 195lb... This only adds to the mystery. Next step is to pull the rocker cover off and have a look inside the breather baffles. Car is quiet, smooth goes hard and blows an acceptable ammount of smoke when you get up it.
The dead black one has been pushed off into a new clearing in the bush to be kept as spares box. We got the new head off it and despite the intake manifold being snapped off the head in the accident, it seems to be still good as new. It is going onto one of our suzuki sierras that runs a GTi engine that currently has a blown head gasket.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:30 pm 

Still hunting for answers re the oil pouring out of the rocker cover breather..

Question 1... When previous person did a rebuild, could they have used a normal SOHC G13b head gasket meaning the oil wont be escaping from the head fast enough because the oil drain holes in the gasket may be wrong. (when you drive like old lady hardly any oil escapes)

Question 2... Can someone please confirm that the valve cover baffle plate has the big slot and the many drilled holes directly below the breather hose outlet.. Because the baffle can go on either way.. holes below breather or holes up the other end 250mm away from breather. Photo of rocker cover with baffle in correct position would be good..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:43 pm 

I tried to check my pcv valve a few months back and the hose was old and stiff and i ended up breaking the end of it off and the rest fell inside. After much swearing i had to take the cover off and noticed directly under it was the flat plate part, holes up the other end. Mine had some sort of dried up crumbly sealer/ bonding agent that had failed and most of the screws were finger tight and probably would have worked loose over time. When putting it back together with thread locker i noticed it could go either way like you mentioned. I checked my manual and it does not show that bit. The trusty nearly worn out motor still soldiers on and only looses about a capfull of oil every 6 months but i normally drive it like a nana and only looses slightly more with some road rage. I also have a catch can running from the other hose but it has yet to fill any marks on it’s little dip stick. Looks the part at least.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:08 pm 

Thanks for your input mate. My son also has a gti engine in his Sierras and he replaced the head on it over the weekend and while we had the valve cover off we checked the orientation of the baffle plate and it seems the one on the gti is on the correct way.. we also discovered that if you stick you little finger in the oil intake hole you can feel if the baffle is on the correct way or not. We took it of the gti anyway incase there was something in there that may have been causing oil to build up in there.. It was VERRRY tight to get off but I guess the last thing you want is small screws dropping onto the cam followers etc.. Lucky yours didn't fall off. I used an impact driver to make sure it went on tightly again. We noticed when installing the new head gasket that one side had several long drainage holes for oil return but only 2 holes on the other side. One of those holes was big enough to stick your finger in but the other hole was just the size of a 6mm drill..So one corner at the back of the engine (nth sth in a sierra) oly has a 6 mm drain for oil return.. The old gasket was the same but it looked like someone had drilled a 2nd 6mm hole in the head gasket.