It is currently Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Low oil pressure from worn lifter housing?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:02 pm 

Hi all,

I have been on a rather expensive quest to tracking down a low oil pressure issue on my gti motor.

I got the motor in unknown condition so as a precaution I rebuilt it with all new oversize bearings etc etc. I took the head into a machine shop to have them check it over, got it back relatively untouched as it was in good condition however it did have one 'collapsed lifter' which they replaced.

Put it all back together, still had low oil pressure when warm at idle probably between the 5-10psi range. Has new oil pump, have plastigauged the cams and main bearings, check the relief valve. When checking the cams the other day I pulled out all the lifters just out of curiosity.. They all looked fine however one of the lifter housings had some score marks in it probably from running the engine with a collapsed lifter.

Could this be the cause of my oil pressure issue? If so what would be the most cost effective option here? New head? Sleeve the housing?

Appreciate the help!

Sam

Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure from worn lifter housing?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:15 pm 

Check the oil pressure relief valve is not sticking open.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:01 pm 

do you have picture of the scrores on the lifter housing??

in the past i have been through that, same expensive quest for same reason (low oil pressure)

one thing i know now is to rebuild with oem suzuki color coded main rod bearing for proper clearance

what was you plastigauge results on the mains??

on my build this is what i looked at in first, it was within the specs but between the "new" spec and "max" allowance
so i entered the path of looking at everithing (oil cooler tried another block tried another head put a brand new suzuki oil pump blablabla)

what you need for oil pressure is proper clearance and a good pump

hope this help

Alexis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:21 am 

how do you know you have low oil pressure?
What Gauge? where is the sender/pickup located?
idle pressures will always be lower then loaded/revved!

GTP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:26 am 

Definitely checked the pressure relief valve, even replaced it to be sure.

I don't have a picture of the scores at the moment but they run all the way round the lifter housing. They are about 5mm long run vertically and pretty much evenly spaced the whole way around the housing.

Can't remember the exact clearances as its been a while since I measured but they were well within the tolerances. I don't believe its related to main bearing clearances, the problem is exactly the same as before the rebuild.

Does clearance from lifter to housing influence oil pressure?

New oil pump after the rebuild, same problem.

Oil sender is located in the factory position, have tried SAAS electric gauge, autometer electric and a mechanical gauge all show plenty of pressure when cold then back to around 5psi at idle with 20ish at 3000rpm.

The motor sounds good though, get a bit of lifter noise for about a minute after startup then it goes away no knocking sounds and can't see any evidence of oil burning.

Cheers for the help so far!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:35 pm 

You do have the oil restrictor in the head oil gallery? If it's not there, should be flooding the head with oil.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:56 am 

Well I don't recall removing anything like that. How much flooding are we talking about? Not getting any oil out of the breather hoses. Where is the restrictor located?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 pm 

your "new" oil pump is that a suzuki oem one? or it is an aftermarket? (aftermarkets for dohc in america are in fact not dohc ones, they look the same but inside is a smaller pump like the sohc or 1.6 sohc)

and the scores are on only 1 lifter bore or all?

also did you take measurement of camshaft and camshaft journals?

Quote:
Can't remember the exact clearances as its been a while since I measured but they were well within the tolerances. I don't believe its related to main bearing clearances, the problem is exactly the same as before the rebuild.

i was thinking exactly the same before, now i know for oil pressure you need a good pump, proper clearance (the "new" spec) and no leaks in the oil passages .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:08 am 

New pump is not an OEM one, so that might be worth looking at. The oil pump was one of the first things I changed, even before the rebuild. There was no difference between the old and the new pump in terms of pressure which makes me think it wasn't the oil pump but its possible even the old pump could not have been the right pump.

Scores are on 1 bore only where the 'collapsed' lifter came out of.

Was thinking that it had to be cam to journal clearance but unfortunately the clearances are well within spec too. I haven't measured the cams themselves, I guess they could be out of spec.

I really cbf plastigauging the mains again but it looks like that's where I'm heading. damn

Thanks for the help Bostssgt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:03 am 

Did you ever find the source of this issue? I'm experiencing similar issues that I can't get to the bottom of.