It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cultus GTi 4wd Transmission vs Swift/Justy 4wd Transmission
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:13 am 

So, can someone explain if there is any actual difference in the transmissions between the two cars? I read somewhere that the Cultus GTi 4WD transmission is of higher spec; built tougher, than the Justy/Swift 4WD transmission. Or are they the same?

I'm looking for a fun small affordable car to import and work on and I love the Swift/Cultus GTi in 4wd form, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Sorry if this is a noob topic/question.

Post subject: Re: Cultus GTi 4wd Transmission vs Swift/Justy 4wd Transmission
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:06 am 

In short the Cultus AWD setup is far better (though not amazing) than the Justy one.

Check out these 2 builds for a good idea...

GTP's AWD Justy converted to GTi...

https://redlinegti.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=46244

One of the Cultus builds

https://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewto ... cultus+AWD

Generally the drive lines for the Cultus spec cars are used (when they can be found) as major upgrades for people running decent power turbo engines. (I have one in my turbo GTi and a spare)

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
In short the Cultus AWD setup is far better (though not amazing) than the Justy one.

Generally the drive lines for the Cultus spec cars are used (when they can be found) as major upgrades for people running decent power turbo engines. (I have one in my turbo GTi and a spare)

Hope that helps

Im yet to find someone who can demonstrate the gearbox is any different between the JAP spec AWD and the Justy Gearbox in 1.3 AWD configuration other than Ratios and thats dubious. the final diff ratio is different between Justy and AWD GTI but not necesarily the cultus AWD. these are interchangeable I believe as the casing and architecture are identical.
then Justy uses the same output shafts as the 1.6 AWD and 1.3 AWD but smaller outboard hubs (like a cino not GTI)
I have not found any difference in the rear end between the AWD cars.
Neither are true AWD configurations in that a viscous coupling 'senses' front wheel slip and sends some torque rearwards, noticeable on snow but that's about it. about 80 Kg's over a 2WD variant and a much shallower boot space.

GTP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:27 pm 

They are the same.

Just different between a 1600 and 1300 models.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:50 pm 

So basically same transmission and 4wd system just mated to different engines. Cool. I will continue my search.
gtpswift wrote:
Tassie_mk1 wrote:

Hope that helps

Im yet to find someone who can demonstrate the gearbox is any different between the JAP spec AWD and the Justy Gearbox in 1.3 AWD configuration other than Ratios and thats dubious. the final diff ratio is different between Justy and AWD GTI but not necesarily the cultus AWD. these are interchangeable I believe as the casing and architecture are identical.
then Justy uses the same output shafts as the 1.6 AWD and 1.3 AWD but smaller outboard hubs (like a cino not GTI)
I have not found any difference in the rear end between the AWD cars.
Neither are true AWD configurations in that a viscous coupling 'senses' front wheel slip and sends some torque rearwards, noticeable on snow but that's about it. about 80 Kg's over a 2WD variant and a much shallower boot space.

GTP

I don't mind a weight penalty. I like having the added traction. Even though they are slow to react, and don't offer 'real' awd I like viscous setups better than fwd. There is always at least a little power going to the rear, for preload tension. And I'll take that :lol: