It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cluster problem, fuel gauge maxed out
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:38 am 

First of all I would like to say hello and thanks for this great forum with a lot of great resources, I became a proud owner of a '00 Swift GLS model with everything swapped from a '94 GTI, and it is truly as fun as people say :D

The problem is as follows:

The gauge cluster was doing the normal problem where when driving the temp, fuel and RPM gauge went berserk when moving, but stayed normal when stationary. I stumbled upon the thread where it says you should add a ground from the negative lead and that I did, but it didn't fix all of my issues. The temp gauge and RPM gauge are working great now, no hiccups, work as intended, BUT my fuel gauge is pegged at MAX all the time, never comes down, removed the added ground, still stayed pegged at FULL.

Keep in mind the fuel gauge WORKED when stationary before, showed the correct reading, after adding that ground it just pegged to max, and when removing the ground stayed at max.

At this point I'm clueless where to look next, I already repeated the process like 7-8 times but no luck.

Anyone can point me in the right direction? What should I look for when I take the dash out for the 100th time :roll:

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Cluster problem, fuel gauge maxed out
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:07 pm 

I would be thinking dodgy earth. The main ones i can think of are the negative battery to top if gear box another on the back of manifold to fire wall and i sort of think another one at drivers side inner guard to maybe the manifold. The cluster will probably have one as well, it’s been awhile since i last looked. Working fine when not moving and freaking out on the move tells me it’s just flopping around somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:23 pm 

i concur....when i was rewiring our car i left the earth off and what you describe is what happened...look at your earth. cheers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:07 am 

Does anyone have pictures of above mentioned grounds?

As mentioned before everything works ONLY the fuel gauge is pegged at FULL, and I didn't touch other grounds, I have no clue where to look, and can't read wiring diagrams for the life of me :(

Anyway thanks for the quick input, if someone has pictures that would be GREATLY appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:28 am 

check the continuity between the yellow wire and the black wire going into the tank....you can find this under the floor carpet or under the car on the right hand side coming out of the chassis floor and heading over the top of the tank. Of course you can access these wires on the back of the dash too. The black wires that come out of the dash connectors are grounds....fuel sender is yellow with red stripe (but that's from memory)...There are resistance values in the manual for a full tank to an empty tank....unfortunately I don't have the manual in front of me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm 

You got to love the suzuki workshop manual. It’s got more groundings than i thought. Or this link if the photo gets taken down. https://www.dropbox.com/s/j96p08357h0ea ... s.jpg?dl=0

Attachments:
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 8 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:31 pm 

Similar problems in the past have also come as a result of a burned out copper trace on the plastic circuit stuck to the back of the cluster.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:11 pm 

Does a non-GTI cluster fit instead of a GTI cluster? I could source a non GTI one for cheap but idk if it fits?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:40 am 

I would not know if non gti cluster would work, possibly different wiring. If the dash cluster is grounded i would check to make sure the float/pick-up unit is screwed down properly, that completes the earth on that end. If that unit is showing it’s age sometimes slightly bending the tab that moves up and down the resistance coils from the float can make it work. If you remove rear seat you can access that part.