It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: engine angle sensor options
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:22 am 

Hi,

I'm looking at aftermarket ECU as my Adaptronics is getting old and there are many better options in market. I would like to run a crank position sensor but some told me that we can run different way of doing same things.
Ellpee looks like made dizzy to run position sensor.
I have 36-1 wheel on crank pulley which sensed by sensor bolt onto oil pump. But this teeth are very small. Some of you have fitted bigger 36-1 wheel on pulley and 60-2 wheel.
Some runs magnet on cam drive pulley....
Too many choice!

ECU I'm looking at can run "coil on plug" which I would like run also, too.

What ECU everyone is running and what setup?

It is mine field and I would like to see options!

Cheers
Atchi

Post subject: Re: engine angle sensor options
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:32 pm 

Is it only the crank position sensor you wish to add? I'd there anything else you would like the ECU to handle?
I would suggest talking to an Adaptronics expert and seeing what can be done with your current one.

If the sensor is already fitted, iould be as easy and plugging it into a spare Aux input.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:08 am 

My mk1 Gti AWD has mk1 harness as well as mk3 Gti. Andy told me I got those...
For phase 1, I will be running Garndi turbo chip on mk3 ECU. Then I want to go big with my K-series liner engine. For this setup Andy told me that Adaptronics I have won't be good.
I'm very much confused with why I have 2 harnesses in my car.I would like to use mk1 Gti harness as my speedo and so on to keep looking stock. I don't have mk3 instrument panel or dashboard.

So keeping mk1 main harness but creating a new harness to run engine as modern as possible.
As it is a UK car, it doesn't come with a knock sensor. So I want to fit it.
My injectors are 750cc, hoping to run 28psi, MAP, TPS, MAF, O2 sensor(Innovative LC1 I have), fuel pump......

I would like to use ECUMaster Classic or Black.
https://www.ecumaster.com/

I'm trying to learn a lot before I spend money!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:56 pm 

If you're going to run a wire-in motorsport ecu then I can't see the mk3 harness being any use to you. I'm guessing you're mk1 harness is running most of the cars oem electrics apart from the ecu and engine sensors and that those are running through the mk3 loom. If you're changing the ecu for a motorsport ecu then you'll need the loom for the ecu. You could create an adapter but in most cases it's better to create a new loom.

In regards to the trigger sensors you'll no doubt want to run sequential injection. To do this you'll require two triggers, a reference signal and a sync signal. The ref is best run from the crank. This tells the ecu the position of the crankshaft. Your 36-1 on the crank is adequate for the job. You could also run oem parts that provide the ref but will require an oil pump and sump with a hole for the sensor. The sync is run from the cam and can be done with magnets in the cam wheel or with a modified dizzy or CAS. There's no right answer, it depends on how fussy you are with the appearance and how much engineering you're prepared to do.

In regard to ecu's, here in NZ we'd run a Link but that's mainly because we have excellent local support and it's a well regarded product. Look at the features you need and run something that delivers the features, isn't odd ball and is well supported.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:42 am 

Thanks Sam7, I think I would go with ECUmaster either Classic or Black.
I thinkyou can have more than 1 map in both of them so I can run race mode and road mode.

Just need to collect my pennies and buy one when I can!