It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Could coil be culprit...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:58 am 

From the measurements I have taken, the rotor and the cap will make gentle unsprung contact. What has caused the problem is when the screw fell out it has got caught somewhere and stopped the rotor turning and shattered the Bakelite or plastic keyway inside the hole in the rotor. The inside of the rotor was stuffed and bits of plastic and a screw had caused the rotor to bash up against the center post in the cap and damage that carbon post.. Once I have a new cap to go with the new rotor, it will be back to factory specs and should be ok. The car is running well but there is a 3mm gap in there that should not be there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:12 am 

Now i have my head around it. Doh! I have been working on my mum’s old seca too much lately. I understand the screw problem now. Washer method will not work on it, the seca it might but not stock gti dizzy. But, my old dizzy has a metal strip running along the top of the rotor and i think a little bit of levering carefully would lift the centre of rotor maybe up enough to contact the cap centre. Rotors are reasonably cheap. Try it on old ones. I also had a look at the g13a dizzy and it would take way too much time to modify but it looks similar to the 90 degree adaptor. Just looking at my old one, what about drilling and tapping dizzy shaft around 90 degress a little higher up on the shaft and move leads around to suit?

Attachments:
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg [ 478.29 KiB | Viewed 24 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:13 pm 

I thought of bending that strip up .. I will try on the old one and see if it bends without breaking. I somehow doubt it. It will be fine with the new cap as that is a stock configuration so it must be ok..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:02 pm 

It might bend up 1mm or so but try to keep it flat or else the cap terminal could run off it. It probably will the more i think about it. The biggest worry with moving the rotor up is it could hit something in the cap, a good set of verniers and compare the mazda cap to the gti one. 3mm sounds a bit much if it was working before. Sometimes you can pull the centre terminal down quite a but as well. The other option is to reduce the lip on the dizzy where the cap sits. Probably a few mm there to be made.