It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Electric Power steering with load adjustment
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:12 pm 

Good way to setup power steering in a track car.

At time attack today during discussions Zuboo said Mighty Mouse has an electric power steering setup. "If you want to have a look Just mention my name" he said "I know the guy".

I wandered do to Mighty Mouse pit and sure enough as soon as I mentioned "Zuboo" the red carpet was rolled out. i got the royal treatment.

The Mighty Mouse owner shared this info with me. Very generous and a nice guy.

http://www.rallywiz.com/Shop/index.php?_a=product&product_id=11

The electric power steering Unit is out of an 2002 to 2008 ignis.

Mighty Mouse owner said,
" just buy an ignis power steering unit. Cut your steering column and fit the ignis power steering in between." He said "a Queensland fabricator did mine and he's done a few other cars here. You buy a power controller from rally wiz in the uk. The power controller has a dial that allows you to adjust the steering feed back or load electrically, so the steerings not too light or heavy. You can set to suit your driving"

Several time attack cars are using this unit.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 322.46 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 504.46 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 411.34 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 364.72 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Post subject: Re: Electric Power steering with load adjustment
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 pm 

There is a firm that does a speed sensitive controller in the UK as well.

GTP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:36 am 

Rallywiz is not responding . Who know where to buy controller to ignis power steering ?

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:21 am 

I haven't track tested mine yet. I didn't know about the ignis one when I got mine. It's out of a Saturn Vue in the states. Bruno on eBay makes a controller. Hope you can get a controller for it...it's a one finger job to steer in the pits and then dial it down to almost min for the track.

If you hear about the Toyota ones etc that can be used without a controller and go into "failsafe" they will go to a predetermined assist level....I would avoid it....the ability to dial in the assist you need would be critical for on track feel and returnability IMHO. ( from what I have read)

Attachments:
IMG_4751.JPG
IMG_4751.JPG [ 117.06 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]
IMG_4752.JPG
IMG_4752.JPG [ 80.54 KiB | Viewed 105 times ]
IMG_4753.JPG
IMG_4753.JPG [ 108.71 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
IMG_4754.JPG
IMG_4754.JPG [ 118.61 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 am 

I know this is not the right controller but maybe the guy can do one for the ignis box? He does a few others....maybe worth asking.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Che ... Swr7tZfvQP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:49 am 

Any update on this, I'm looking to buy an Ignis EPS column. I have an AEM EMS4 management. I would like to know if the management would have to send a signal to the power steering unit or if I would have to use a controller as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:18 pm 

The guy on eBay was able to do a controller for the ignis column, I have installed and did a test in my yard, so for so good! Decent mod, I needed to make a bracket to support it though and modify the original bracket.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:41 pm 

Great job NG....yes the power steering really helps....some took theirs out of their hondas at our track because they "reduced feel" but I feel thats not what ours does...we only use it on the lowest setting and it feels great...without it...shoulder ache by the end of the day.... 8-[

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:29 pm 

Yep, my hands will get stuff after a 10 lap race, so I can't wait to test on the track, and best part is its electric vs hydraulic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 am 

yeah...hey try it minimum assist first....any more than that and its just too light as its not speed sensitive....we ramp it up on the fly in the pits but on track id really suggest if its light when you drive out the gate it will be far too light on the track....With our one minimum assist lightens the steering effort in half!...its because the motor needs a minimum current to activate.....any lighter it switches off....but you know about it....lol.
for any track work Id absolutely recommend this mod. especially if you have....1, increased castor (we run +5 degrees), increased camber (we run -2.75) and running late model swift uprights...(shorter arms so increased steering effort. Combine all of those its steerable but like an old falcon 500 with no power steering! 8-[

also....the unit uses its own relay to activate....but you need a really good power supply DIRECT from a hefty supply....we run ours directly from a decent earth and the live side of the starter motor through a 50 amp breaker. These things can draw a lot of amps!...remember its basically a small starter motor....I made sure my heavy wires were equal to the size or bigger than the wires that come out of that plug...the size of the wires can carry around 80 plus amps! too small and you will pop the breaker or if no breaker you will let the magic smoke out..... 8-[