It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: my experience with Waylows 60mm setup
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:24 pm 

I've moved most of this from the Waylow's 60mm TB, MAF and Manifold thread in the For sale section only as its probably inappropriately buried under legitimate For Sale discussion..

Recently, I had received my shipment of the parts and worked on it over the past weekend.

Droo's Report:

Today i installed it. All up, 7 hours, including toilet breaks, lunch breaks - AND heading to autobarn to get a longer single length of coolant hose (which is required). Keep in mind, this is 7 hours of a novice amature with very limited mechanical knowledge. During that 7 hours, i exclaimed the "F" profanity a total of 71 times, mostly due to dropping the socket doobies down behind the manifold into very awkward places. I also incurred a severed finger, minor scruffs on me wrists, 3 bandaids later these also contributed to the profanity score. I also discovered 3 "C-hunt" of a position areas behind and under the manifold where the retrieval of dropped socket bits is 'inconvenient' to retrieve, but that was solely due to my clumsiness.

I initially started the removal with my handy dandy Kmart classic tool kit. Most of the psychologically "difficult" bolts were easy to remove. (ie, the manifold to block bolts etc. The really bitched up bolts were at the rear of the manifold (facing the firewall) - they reinforce the manfold against external forces applied to it by leaning or removal via an engine hoist etc) and i required the tools (and help) of a local mechanic mate to remove the bolts. - 60% of my curses were due to those two bolts. These tools included a heavy duty socket set, and a funky ass spanner. (dont ask me! at the time i didnt care to know what size they were)

I would strongly recommend letting these bolts (and the screws holding the cold air bypass piping) to marinate in WD40 for a good day or two before even bothering to remove them... I would also recommend a bit of a leg and back stretch before starting the work too. The tendons behind me knees and my lower back have felt better days. I would also recommend having someone who is patient to be with you as a tool fetcher as if you drop your tools as often as i did, you'll appreciate their presence..

You will need a water hose of about 40-50cm in length, to bypass the sr20 TB's lack of coolant piping. (you'll understand when you see it).

You will also need some decent spanners and socket set thingies. between 1/2" to 9/16"s and the metric equivalents of them also (varied by 1 to 2 mm for good measure)

Outside of that, it was a no brainer.

The removal of the old manifold, and installation of the new one is mostly straight forward;

Oh yeah, after letting the air inlet piping soak on boiling hot water for 10 min, the installation of this pipe onto the sr20 throttle lip involved 2 min of work. No lube, no mess, no fuss. I didnt even burn my hands holding the piping!

I havent setup the TPS properly (and my eagerness made me overlook that) but after re-installation, but went for a drive and i can already notice a significant difference in drivability. I had to re-think how i reverse out of my drive way. Pressing the Accelerator pedal the way i normally pressed it resulted in a more lively acceleration! I went for a spin around the block and can definately notice a diff. You WILL however need the enlarged MAF, as you can easily tell that that is the last major restriction. Lower revs pull harder for a brief moment, then as the MAF is restrictive, it drives like it did before the manifold swap. After the maf is bored out, i have no doubt that the result would be nothing short of "alot more fun!"

Anyone who wants to know what exactly the difference in 'drivability'is:
(with the restrictive MAF), first gear take offs, are alot more 'torquey.'
You feel a noticeably stronger push against your body when accelerating off. You can 'tell' that the engine wants more air in the second gears.

Hence, i'm getting the MAF bored out ASAP!

UPDATED! sunday 19th dec 04
click the link below to see some boring pics..
http://www.redlinegti.com/index.php?p=p ... oo&gid=339
Sorry I dont have any more, as i didnt have anyone to help me take pics at the time, my hands were filthy and I didnt want to fudge up me camera.

UPDATED! later sunday 19th dec 04
I've just recalibrated the TPS to suit the new throttle body. um, yeah, it definately makes a difference. Smoother ride, and a very noticable increased push in seat..

UPDATED! monday 20th dec 04
I've booked in to get the MAF bored out this arvo, and is not as expensive as i'd imagined, but i think i'm getting it done cheaper as i sortof know the guy doing it.. (sort of).. I went for a drive this morning in the crisp cold air of bendigo and it was um.. noticably more fun than other fresh mornings here! ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:27 pm 

:D nice work Droo!

now get back in the corner and work on more vids......

jokes - glad it made an improvement mate 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:23 pm 

Hmmm.... :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:39 pm 

:-) havent forgotten them. I'm waiting for my new Mac before i can do much else.

also, this thread is to help Waylow in a shameless (yet legitimate) attempt to get him more buyers for his stuff, as its worth it.

UPDATED!
got me maf bored out, and the car SOUNDS great above 4500rpm. very horny/throaty note, and i only have stock cams. I'm keen to try out the top speed now, but arent able to get to me private roads till later this year.

Driving has another noticeable improvement with the larger maf, however not as 'large' as the tb/manifold swap, but still, its definately complimenting the swap.

had to refrain from going high revs through the streets here as i'm being a slight menace to society at this time of the night. I'm looking forward to gunning it again tomorrow morning. :twisted:

My exhaust note, which after 12 months had finally resumed being a comfortable intensity has now increased again to a youthful loudness, did i mention that it sounds really nice at higher revs? :D (and i thought just a pod and extractors made the engine sound nice before!) WOOF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:29 am 

so its all good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:09 pm 

s**t yeah.

to all readers, i'm not blowing hot air up yer arses.. this is a very worthwhile mod to your car and for the price, vs what it does ratio, its very worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:49 pm 

Lets wait and see how Nuggets goes with the turbo setup :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:05 pm 

Quiet Mark :P ....

It was good to come over and have a chat last night while we did the manifold... We ended up cleaning the throttle body, and runners again, so they are really shiney now, like the original item.

The boss became worried that the straight boring out [instead of a venturi] would cause a significant reduction in gas velocity in the bottom end; flat spot on the tourqe curve, but droo's results seem to dispose of that, and its not like a compressor turbine wont cause any restriction or anything...

...lets just see how it goes on the dyno eh?

( o ( o _ 0 ) o )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:07 pm 

how did this go on the dyno?
and also how did the turbo set up go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:47 pm 

Turbo set up isnt done yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:22 pm 

I keep reading this, just imagining it on my car. I can't wait!! Hopefully my old car will be exactly what Kevin Anderson has been looking for, and hence a quick sale...money for me...money for Mark. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:48 pm 

Ok guys installed this setup on my car over the weekend.

I have the 60mm throttle, enlarged MAF, and i also installed a pod filter.

The results astounded me as i did not expect the car to pull so hard lower down. Was expecting a large drop in torque down low, but this was not the case. The revs rise very quickly and pulls hard all the way to the redline.

My engine is no spring chicken either, and the results were fantastic. (200+k's)

The modification is alot of work for the inexperienced, it does take as long as droo says, so i took the opportunity to freshen up the rest of the fuel system as well. Which meant the car was off the road for a small period of time. :roll:

My advice, get the 60ml throttle, bored manifold, and enlarged MAF. Its worth it. But also...

Take the time to get the injectors cleaned and flow tested, and buy new injector seal kits for the injectors. (It makes it easier to take the inlet manifold off if you take the fuel rail and injectors out anyways.) I got the seal kits, for 18 dollars a set (enough O-rings and filters for two injectors per kit) so you'll need two, thats $36.

Take your injectors to a fuel injection place to get them cleaned and flow tested. This was $40 mates rates. If any body in Sydney needs em done pm me for details on where to go.

I also got rid of the the cold start thing on the back of the manifold, and made up a blocking plate to cover the hole in the manifold. This meant that i didn't have to get that extra bit of hose droo talks about as i just ran the water pipe from the thermostat straight around to the water pump inlet pipe. I will post pics and it will become a bit clearer.

Cheers

P.S Do not lose the injector circlips, impossible to find if you drop them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:35 pm 

sorry to bring back the dead

has any done this mod and added a chip to the mix? is it worth it?

or is there better gains to be had from adding a fuel pressure regulator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:37 pm 

I have one on mine, but its not running yet :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:47 pm 

bummer :cry:

it sounds like a bit of extra fueling wouldn't go astray with this setup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:29 am 

So do both.... dont be stingy! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:26 pm 

I also got waylow to do my manifold, tb and MAF and it does make a noticable difference, even though my car is dead stock - certainly worth the money as it seems the most effective and easiest way to get the car breathing better.

I dont even have an exhaust

Pulls up hills much better now, fuel regulator next on the list (or maybe some legal springs.)

Top stuff :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:29 pm 

Another satisified customer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:45 am 

waylow, ill get them from ya soon. lemme get rid of a few debts and fix small stuff with the gti. hope nothing big comes up ;)

top stuff as said!

] x [

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:57 pm 

i'm running Garndi's chip in my ecu also.

there is a slight but noticeable increase in perf. my fuel economy hasnt been adversely affected, other than going to an 8000rpm rev limit more often.. :D i still havent gotten over that fact yet!

also running a fixed rate fuel pressure reg (installed 1 week befor the intake was put in)

the FPR by itself, made no diff to the engine as stock, but i was advised strongly to have it installed as part of the intake mods, so not to allow the engine to lean out at higher rpm.