It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rebuilding 93 GT - Introduction & Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 am 

Howdy. This is my first post here so I figured I would give a little prelude to my question. I've been lurking here after the demise of Team Swift and find myself in need of consult!

I bought '93 Suzuki Swift GT back in 2015. It was a random purchase after my daily was totaled parked on the side of the road. I absolutely fell in love with the Swift. I used to modify 1g AWD DSMs back in high school so my love for 90's hatchbacks is strong. Here are my cars from 2001 - Now : ALBUM

I bought the Swift with 130k miles and put about 50k on it. The transmission case blew apart on the highway (from me being an idiot) and I had to quickly replace it before a move from MA to VA. It made it down, but I needed a commuting car so I picked up a Saab to daily. The Swift went up on jack stands for a rebuild. Engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, strip & paint, turbo+. I aim for a quick (130-150hp) reliable car that looks sharp. It will go back to its factory blue. The initial saga can be seen here: ALBUM

I am currently at the engine rebuilding part, and this is honestly the first time I have ever had the engine apart to this degree. The last images of the album above are where I stand at the moment. The head is completely stripped and mostly clean, and the pistons are out of the block. I just ordered new oil pump, seals, bearings, and rings from Megazip and SuzukiRD.

I plan on taking the block and head to a machine shop to:
blast & clean
hone the cylinders
deck surfaces
check valve seats, guides
replace freeze plugs
install bearings

I have been looking at the manuals here and resources on here for most of my questions but I have a few for my next steps. Those questions are in the next post!

PS - I made a video for front wheel bearing replacement a while ago if people are interested : VIDEO

Last edited by laxdudeee on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding 93 GT - Introduction & Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:37 am 

1) Should I have the machine shop do more while it is in their hands?

2) Valvetrain : I need to replace some of the oil squirters since they are seized, but what else? The valves look rough even after taking a brass brush to them, should I replace them? PICS. It has 185k miles, should the valve springs be replaced or just checked by the shop?