It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 1989 Swift GTi Engine Problems
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 am 

I’ll try to make this long story short:
I started her up, let it idle for about five minutes, as usual, then started pulling out of the driveway. RPMs dropped from from around 2k to 0, but the engine was still running. Thought maybe I wasn’t giving it enough gas so I pressed the throttle...nothing. Stalled out. Wouldn’t start back up. Gave a few minutes, started back up. Driving less than 5 miles to the grocery store and the RPMs kept dropping to 0 pretty frequently. Only way I kept it running was by pushing the clutch in and giving it gas until the engine responded again and RPMs returned to normal. I hit a huge puddle and shortly thereafter she died completely, couldn’t start it back up. Had to push it out of the road into the closest driveway which was a little uphill. After wrestling with it for a while, I decided to try and start it up again. For some reason, I put it in first, turned the key, and while the car was lurching forward I gave it gas. It started up, I pushed the clutch in and drove forward a few feet before it died again.

Sorry for the long explanation but I’m trying to get all the details in. If anybody has any idea what my problem could be, it’d be a great help :D

Post subject: Re: 1989 Swift GTi Engine Problems
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm 

Is it running hot and lacking radiator coolant?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 pm 

Hi,

Please install spare fuse into diagnostic port on fuse box and check for the error code flashes from your check engine light on instrument cluster.

Search on this forum for error code meaning and procedure if I haven't made myself clear enough.

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 am 

pictureshowman wrote:
Is it running hot and lacking radiator coolant?

As far as I know, no. But I’ll be sure to check that out. Thanks!

DrelvisGTi wrote:
Hi,

Please install spare fuse into diagnostic port on fuse box and check for the error code flashes from your check engine light on instrument cluster.

Search on this forum for error code meaning and procedure if I haven't made myself clear enough.

Cheers,

Drew

Do you mean the fuse box in the engine bay or is there one underneath the dash? Either way I’ll look around and get to that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:39 pm 

Hi Mate,

Fusebox under the dash is where you need to look.

Procedure here: https://www.redlinegti.com/forum/vth.20895.error.htm

(The stickies at the top of Swift Technical have almost every answer to almost every problem we've ever encountered!)

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:02 pm 

My brother had a similar issue with my nephews mk2 some time ago. His turned out to be exhaust related but I’ll chat with him to confirm exactly what he found and if you get that diagnostic code like drew explained one of us here can interpret it for you. I’d have been with pictureshowman on the coolant but if that’s all fine then the hunt will continue. Have you made any recent modifications to it?
Cheers
David