It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: New swift. New problems (Running rough)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:05 pm 

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 97 gti off a local. Engine has been race prepped with head work including. Bigger TB, cams (bd10), ignition upgrade ect. He said it has been sitting for a while, 2 years, It was sitting low on fuel on E and I've put about 1/4 tank of fresh fuel in. He states that it was going great before sitting.

I am having various issues, but might be the same issue? Here's a list of issues:

-Takes 5-10 seconds of cranking to start
-Very rough idle, the idle control screw is all the way out and my idle is still under 1000, very lumpy, shakes the entire car and feels like its choking, it doesn't idle at all cold and dies after about 5 seconds with no help from me.
-When driving my throttle cuts out randomly, as in I'm going along and then it seems like my engine just turns off, no rpm or speed increase just silence, then it kicks back on and keeps going after 1-2 seconds. Appears to be at full throttle only, car stalls shortly after.
When not under load at a stand still I can rev it all day long with little hesitation and the cut outs don't seem to happen.

What I've done:
Checked timing
Cleaned connectors with contact cleaner
Checked dizzy
Cleaned and checked spark plugs.
checked for vac leaks
temporarily plugged the csv (no change)
unplugged tps (no change)

I'm very sorry if there's a similar topic and a solution, I've searched for hours and I am just tired and need some help, I've not owned one of these before.

Post subject: Re: New swift. New problems (Running rough)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 pm 

Ignition, compression, carburation.

So assuming the compression is ok....I'd do two things. id check you have enough fuel by removing the return line. Jumping the fuel pump relay so it continually runs...check to make sure fuel is running out the return line.

Then...check your leads and the coil. Breaking down under load sounds electric to me.

Good luck....let us know what you find out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:04 pm 

Good news. I filled the car up with 98 fuel and it drives like a dream. Must of been dodge fuel or something. I am still having the idle issues though. Sometimes it sits at 1500rpm which is where I want it, but often it drops right down to 500-700rpm and sounds like its going to stall, sometimes it does stall when coming to a stop. I have to hold the accelerator pedal a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:12 pm 

Starting point is to check for codes. That will give you something to chase.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:13 pm 

No code, I've replaced the fuel pump and filter, cleaned tank out. Seems like she's right now :).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 pm 

Yup....it's normally one of those two things. I had no fuel out of the return line. It was just enough pressure to run but not enough to run without being a little lean in parts. New pump and filter....got injectors cleaned at same time.....heaps of pressure!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 am 

swift12 wrote:
Yup....it's normally one of those two things. I had no fuel out of the return line. It was just enough pressure to run but not enough to run without being a little lean in parts. New pump and filter....got injectors cleaned at same time.....heaps of pressure!

Exactly the same as me, no fuel out the return line. however it was my fault. The little brown spacer thing that pushes against the o-ring in the cradle as cracked, thought she'd be right, nope. Must of leaked a ton of pressure. I ended up just cutting the funnel off and running a bit of fuel hose from pump to cradle, worked fine :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:10 pm 

Yes my replacement pump was for the tank...
Took a bit of working out....was not a direct replacement fit....tiny bit of modifying and it was all sorted. It was the correct Bosch replacement pump for the tank though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:19 pm 

Apegrip wrote:
The little brown spacer thing that pushes against the o-ring in the cradle as cracked, thought she'd be right, nope. Must of leaked a ton of pressure.

Lesson learned, never leave anything that is cracked on the car. It will never be right :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:26 pm 

Howsie13 wrote:
Apegrip wrote:
The little brown spacer thing that pushes against the o-ring in the cradle as cracked, thought she'd be right, nope. Must of leaked a ton of pressure.

Lesson learned, never leave anything that is cracked on the car. It will never be right :D

Pretty much, I'm still chasing idle issues now. Idling way too low for the cams for it to be stable, I cant seem to get the idle to increase above 1000 and it stalls sometimes. Has anyone got a photo of their stop screw un-adjusted? I have a feeling the previous owners have adjusted it in an attempt to fix the idle but not adjusted the tps.

CSV is gone
idle screw is all the way out
aircon idle lines are blocked (ac gone)
cleaned out idle step valve

Doing my head in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:51 am 

No.1. It won't idle too low with the cams. Mine was 1300 to 1500 rpm. Below 1200 it would gradually run to a low idle....then rev up....and instead sometimes stall. I have fitted a full link G4 ecu system which I believe will help....

The idle screw should not be all the way out. Mine has 222/365 cams....very much like bd 14 cams. (So I'm told) it idles fine albeit high. We stall it out in gear when stopping it. ( hoping the new ecu helps now)

If the idle screw is all the way out it is bypassing a lot of air....so perhaps a very rich mixture at idle which ours has. That is because we have a fuel pressure reg to up the fuel pressure due to lean spots. After a lot of mucking around I came to realise that the standard ecu does not run a modified engine well. Even our ecu was modded with the group A chip it still needed an extra pound of fuel pressure to stop leanness in the midrange. Now with the new ecu we can map a spot on map all the way through. Because if the fuel pressure reg we were rich as buggery at idle....meant we need a high idle to compensate. Any help?

There is a procedure to set the TPS....perhaps try that....then reset the idle screw....see if it helps. You get any codes?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 am 

Somewhat, I don't have an issue with high idle, my issue is I can't attain high idle. No matter what I mess with the idle does not go above 1000, I'd like it to sit around 1200-1500 so I can have a stable idle. The cars a complete track car, so it won't bother me.

I read somewhere that above 3000 rpm the engine stops using TPS readings and uses only AFM, which strangely enough I noticed before reading that the engine driving better above that range (its a little jerky and weird below that). I also read that the engine switches to an idle map when it gets a certain TPS reading. I'm going to reset it today, I'll report back in a few hours :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:12 pm 

Update:

I tried recalibrating it, I'm getting resistance with it out of the TB but once I put it in I get no resistence. I just looked at the price of TPS's and they are rediculous. Kill me...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:32 pm 

Sounds like it could be the problem, as you noted there should be resistance when it's in the TB.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:06 am 

I probably have a working TPS here....if you get really stuck. But put your feelers out over there.....someone's bound to have a spare.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm 

Update #2: The multimeter I bought was faulty but new one still confirmed tps is shot I think. Going to find a working one hopefully. I see that the sr20de ones are almost the same, are adapter harness's a thing for them as the plug is different? Possible to make one?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 am 

Another update which may be of use to anyone in future:

I cheated a little, I aligned the tps without feeler gauges, I have them but I didn't use them to space the butterfly opening, I figured the ecu doesn't care about the space, it cares about receiving the resistance between the required ranges. I got open circuit with the feeler gauge in place, so I just aligned it without it and got the right resistances. My guess is it's warn/dirty where normal resting is. This is my thought process anyway, and it worked, I am idling properly. Side effects are jerky throttle below 3k rpm but it's livable, I understand the tps is slightly out of alignment, supposedly ecu doesn't use tps readings above 3k rpm anyway, so I see this as a good trade off between crap idle. Might be of some use to anyone in the future to get them by.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:02 pm 

Have you tried cleaning the contact so that you get the correct resistance and it opens further? Some empty tape to clean the contacts would be the best bet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:35 pm 

Howsie13 wrote:
Have you tried cleaning the contact so that you get the correct resistance and it opens further? Some empty tape to clean the contacts would be the best bet.

I haven't, they look hard to open without breaking things, have you done it before?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:15 pm 

Apegrip wrote:
Howsie13 wrote:
Have you tried cleaning the contact so that you get the correct resistance and it opens further? Some emry tape to clean the contacts would be the best bet.

I haven't, they look hard to open without breaking things, have you done it before?

No, never had to. Or you could fill it with contact cleaner and move it around a bit, see if that helps. The contact cleaner will evaporate eventually.