It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Event co ordinators
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:49 am 

I was thinking with all the chaos involved in organising cruise events per state and region maybe we could have assigned event co ordinators that would handle cruise ideas, planing and co ordination.

Event co ordinators could be assigned to record all ideas for cruise destinations from members via PM for example, consider the most viable and then place a date on it and organise numbers ect ect.

Further more to make life easier I think there should be state registries for cruise events.
What I mean is if a cruise location is decided upon it could be posted on the cruise notice board for that region/state, those members interested in that cruise can register their interest by clicking a ''confirm subscription'' button or something of the sorts thus general ideas for numbers can quickly be established that list will be under the control of the cruise co ordinator who can instantly message all subscribed members vital and up to date info and at the same time the subscribed members can message back or to each other within that list.

We've kind of tried to do something as close to this as possible in the up coming Melbourne cruise topic. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38978

If worst comes to worst there can be more then one co ordinator per state for example one for the southern regions of the state one for the northern ect or as applicable.

And hey a little credit for the job title in the avatar bar can't hurt ether :wink:

ps. Sorry for getting your name wrong (several times) Bzchi #-o

Post subject: Re: Event co ordinators
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 am 

Because it is a bit of a mission to organise everone for a cruise alicating just one person to sort it out is a bit impractical.
If a member thinks of a good idea for a cruise in their area and posts up the idea whats to say a deligated co-ordinator could organise a better route or stop points for example?
If your organising a cruise and want to get confirmation on whos a definate get everyone to RSVP you by PM, make a list of the confirmed people in the first post announcing the cruise?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9855

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:08 am 

From the point of view of someone who it was expected to just organise a cruise in the past, I don't think a single event organiser is a good idea. It was because of the expectation I stopped organising cruises, especially after a time when my car wasn't up to scratch yet still expected to arrange something I wasn't going to be able to enjoy to its full extent. I work full time and don't end up with a lot of my own spare time as it is to be organising cruises, not to mention the outlay of my money and resources, when at the end of the day there's nothing really to personally get back from it.

The progress on the upcoming cruise seems to be going well and if everyone chips in and helps out as mentioned by Frankgos, it doesn't take much to put together. You start by putting out a rough idea of a cruise route and everyone can help build on that with their thoughts and ideas.

In short, I think it is everyone's responsibility to help out if they want to attend a cruise and unfair to expect one person to arrange everything for the benefit of everyone else. In saying that, when a thread is started, you can always put a call out for assistance with specific aspects and ask someone to take charge of that. Just a thought, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:07 pm 

My advice is to have one person coordinating the whole thing, and several _reliable_ people contributing. This formula worked well for the Canberra cruises, and importantly it ensures that there is one person keeping everyone informed about the details so there is no confusion.

I also think people should want to volunteer for the coordinator role for each cruise, not have it "assigned" to them permanently. As long as one person puts their hand up and makes it clear that they are taking the lead, then it usually works out. That person just needs to be fully committed to the job, and not flake out or give up. Yes it is hard work, but can also be very rewarding.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:03 pm 

Yes that's more of what I meant I understand having one person doing everything is impossible I simply meant having one person over seeing things of coarse everyone needs to contribute many hands make light work.