It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: A Couple Of Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 am 

I was looking at the forum on fordlaser.com and I was wondering if it's possible to have the options such as home, search, forums ect in the same style bar up top?...Imo it looks neater and easier to navigate.

Second thing I think should be on here is a useful feature that allows you to mouse over the title/subject of a topic and it previews the 1st page to save you time opening the link...would something like that be possible on here? (Example of this can be seen on the fordlaser.com forums as well)

Also would it be possible to have a thumbnail preview of peoples personal photo galleries? It makes for a much more interesting photo browsing :)

And finally any chance of some customisable page themes such as a light or a dark coloured page?

That's all I can think of for now...great work on the site so far =D> before I joined this forum I was split between this and the suzuki-forums.com site...let's just say after seeing it the choice was easy :lol:

p.s. There is never enough Baleno love :cry:

Post subject: Re: A Couple Of Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:23 am 

Hmm seems there are a few ideas there.

I think the navigation is a personal preference. The links at the top on this forum are kept the same across multiple pages (not just forum), that is why search/home etc is not in the top bar (FordLaser have a side navigation bar this site doesn't). Search/Board Index (same as home) are both available throughout the forum, it's just their location is different here.

I have actually used FordLaser.com a lot and don't think the post preview pop-up feature is that compelling. I thought it was a neat idea at the start but I find it obstructs the thread names when browsing, and you end up going into the thread to read the entire post (well I find I do). Additionally, it is only good for the initial post, if there are follow ups you need to go into the thread anyway.. to see them.

You need a tabbed browser, something like Firefox, click the links you are interested in with the middle button.. then let them load in a tab in the background. Then you can skim them ;)

As for the images in the Personal Gallery.. I think it is a good idea on the initial page.. but I really want people to be using the attachment feature in the forum, it is much cleaner. I have considered even making a forum structure for a gallery and using the attachment system in the forum for that.. so it is all in one place. I think this idea has merit.. and I may get around to it ;) :lol:

Glad to here you prefer here to the other forum ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 am 

Also just wondering an chance of making the size of the avatar pics slightly bigger at least?...maybe around 100*100 pixels makes putting something mildly interesting in there possible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:44 pm 

I don't think we'll be increasing the avatar size. The signature area is more than enough space to express your creativity and individuality.

Besides, if we make the avatar size 100x100, then people complain that it should be 200x200, or unlimited... then you end up with something that looks like boostcruising or fast fours forum where there is 90% graphical bullshit and 10% actual content - and that makes me want to reach through the screen and slap people... moreso than usual.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:53 pm 

Good point...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:52 am 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
I don't think we'll be increasing the avatar size. The signature area is more than enough space to express your creativity and individuality.

Besides, if we make the avatar size 100x100, then people complain that it should be 200x200, or unlimited... then you end up with something that looks like boostcruising or fast fours forum where there is 90% graphical bullshit and 10% actual content - and that makes me want to reach through the screen and slap people... moreso than usual.

YLD80Y - you have a great turn of phrase!!!! :lol:

Actually - I was wondering why you guys do not do advertising on this site? :?:
How do you pay for it all?? Is it just a passion thing?
It seems a waste - you have a lot of traffic so should be able to pay for itself to a decent extent don't you think??
There are probably 30 suppliers who would be interested specifically in advertising, as well as the google mildly annoying adverts!!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 am 

All things considered I would have no problems with addsif there was no other option as long as the adds were not in my face pissing me off and as long as they were of things that actually mattered ie car related...frankly we don't need adds about creams for increasing our cock sizes...we already drive penis extensions :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:45 am 

It's bzchi's baby and he has an aversion to advertising...

As to costs, a few of us kicked in some dollars a while ago to help cover hosting costs. I dont think that would cover it all. I am sure the big real cost is the admin/mods time on maintenance and keeping some of you guys under control...a full time job... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:06 am 

=D> And we love you guys for it every day =D>

However if it came down to it and the site needed some funds I'm sure we could chip in some $$$

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:27 am 

Yeah, advertising is something I always want to avoid as I have always intended this to be a community site not a money making scheme.

For a long while I funded it, but of late a large amount of members donated a substantial total which has been paying for hosting costs for the last 2 years.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27178

The moderators donation of time is also a substantial contribution that makes the site run smoothly.

The only thing close to advertising I have considered for this site is potentially having a suppliers section in the For Sale so (only) Suzuki specific suppliers can have a forum section for their business to sell their products... to hopefully fix the problem of suppliers and posting/targeting users (because we have run into multiple problems), and users not being able to benefit from potential discounts etc. or being aware of which business offer parts/services for their Suzukis.

I haven't yet put this past a vote (or even mentioned it), so why not use this thread to gauge some interest.

ozHonda currently run a similar system and it and it appears to work well. If it were to be considered there would be a strict set of guidelines on which businesses could have threads created (ie. strictly Suzuki related).could even go as far as to put the addition of each business to a vote if that is what people wanted. In return we could ask for a small monthly donation for the site.. but we may find that suppliers offer discounts that more than make up for this if given the opportunity?

Like always this isn't required to raise funds to keep the site afloat, more an idea to potentially follow up if people think it will benefit members. It could potentially turn the site into a central location to find Suzuki parts, rather than people having to scour external sites.. but that is a pretty grand plan I guess :D

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 pm 

bzchi wrote:
Thoughts?

=D> :twisted: I believe a quote from lol cats is in order!

''I likes this...It's relevant to my interests''

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:17 pm 

Good on you bzchi!

I was just wondering, so now I know!! =D>

I'll kick in some to PayPal too - this is such a valuable forum to a firsttime Swiftie like myself!!!

I think the idea of a suppliers section in the For Sale is a good one too..