It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: PHPBB3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:50 am 

I suggest you upgrade the forums to phpbb3.

Not only is it more stable but there is about triple the amount of features and contains a large majority of what people are wanting in this section.

Post subject: Re: PHPBB3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:03 am 

Corey wrote:
I suggest you upgrade the forums to phpbb3.

Not only is it more stable but there is about triple the amount of features and contains a large majority of what people are wanting in this section.

More stable? it's a release candidate, i've been watching it from the beta's. How can you claim it is 'more stable' when phpBB 2 has been in the wild for ~5 years? and phpBB still label phpBB 3 their 'Unstable' release?

There is also far more administration overhead in the conversion than just installing it, there is currently a fairly large amount of integration.

I am waiting to see what they come up with when the first stable version is released, until then I am not touching it (and there would have to be a genuine _need_ to go to it before I waste a weekend).

Last edited by bzchi on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:10 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:05 am 

Your comments are interesting considering that phpbb itself lists release 3 as "unstable". :lol:

I'm sure the upgrade will happen eventually, but as the saying goes, if it ain't broke...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:46 am 

apart from web standards phpbb3 has a s**t load more features that these guys would love to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 am 

Corey wrote:
apart from web standards phpbb3 has a s**t load more features that these guys would love to use.

This is going nowhere... I suggest reading the previous posts in a thread before writing a reply.

Best to write me off as naive because I am not jumping at the latest shiny thing before a stable release. Although I would love risking database corruption, potential remote exploits and general instability I don't think it is warranted for a few extra features at the moment. Are you going to migrate the several hundred mod_rewrite rules for me?

If people want something and there is a general (justified) need for it on the forum it will get done. If you find information contrary to this let me know.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]