It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Hoist - 2 post, 4 post?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:36 am 

I'm going to be moving shortly and the new workshop has plenty of room so I'm thinking a hoist would make lots of things easier. I've never looked at them before so I'm trying to understand the pros and cons of the various options.

From what I've read it sounds like most people buy 2 post clear floor models. Does anyone have any views as to what's best? A quick google search and there's a wide variety of prices. They seem to range from about 2.5k up to around 7k. I guess with most you get what you pay for but then again price is no guarantee of quality. I don't need it to be a commercial quality machine, it won't get multiple cars per day like in a commercial workshop, but I do want something reliable and not a complete piece of rubbish.

Post subject: Re: Hoist - 2 post, 4 post?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:03 pm 

Never used one, wish i had one.

2-posters give you better under car access as there are no ramps in the way like the 4-post
2-post you can work on the wheel assemblies without the need for an extra hoist
2 post must be bolted to the ground
4 post if you want to store another vehicle underneath
4 post for longer-term storage
4 post you drive on, 2 post you need to arrange the arms before lifting.
4 post can be portable with a castor kit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:18 pm 

I have a 2PH and it is great but as I get older climbing under to adjust lift arms is a pain. Access when lifted is magic. I had a convo with a racer who has a 4PH and he just drives on then lifts. He can also lift independently with blocks to allow wheel removal access. Seems a little safer but comes with a price. I can drive through under 2PH for additional parking. I can also use the 2PH as an engine lift for installing engine gearbox combos. A little bit harder to use a 4PH to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:52 pm 

2 post also needs a concrete slab with specific strength grade and thickness to prevent the whole thing toppling over.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:28 am 

Thanks for the info, sounds like 2 post is the way to go for what I'll use it for. Anyone know anything about the various makes of hoist?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:19 pm 

Don't forget a single phase hoist will have about 20amps startup current and even then they sometimes trip a 25A breaker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:21 pm 

Yes, that's a good point. I have 3 phase power so might go with a 3 phase hoist. There seem to be a few second hand ones around at reasonable money. I guess used 3 phase hoists don't appeal to DIYers as most will only have single phase connections.

There's a couple of Molnars and Heshbons in workshop clearances at the moment so they might be the go. I don't know anything about either make apart from most of the newer workshops seem to have Heshbon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:29 pm 

sam mine is a MAHA 2 poster...ex BMW workshop. 3 ton. (3 ton maha probably equal to a "5" ton chinese POS) the arms are heavily built...i have seen some 3 ton chinese ones that look like spaghetti.
mine has the synchronous motors...3 phase. Of course you will want the three phase...only way to go....low start up current.

I would not get one with the centre floor "ramp" that covers a cable running from side to side....mine is a clear floor hoist....you will curse that little ramp cover when trying to manoeuvre stuff around under the car like an oil receptacle.

a four poster is a right pain in the butt to service the wheel areas as Michael said and as picture showman says a pain for gearbox jobs etc.

I have 12" of concrete under the hoist anchor points. it only needs 8" but the people laying the floor couldn't use a measuring tape. at least it won't pull out of that! each post has 5 180mm wedge anchors.
I bought a $99 ozito drill from bunnings to install it...went through Re bar on some of the holes...20mm anchors. fully expected to kill the drill...but its still going!

so I would go brand name 3 phase 2 post clear floor if you can.
My wife asked what the heck i was going to do with it when i bought it...said it would never get used much...she was very wrong! you will love having a hoist Sam.
here is a lovely shot of my ...er....clear floor 2 poster.
post pics!

Attachments:
IMG_4956 2.JPG
IMG_4956 2.JPG [ 446.43 KiB | Viewed 30 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:15 pm 

Thanks Glenn, I think 3 phase 2 post clear floor is the ideal.

There's a few for sale in the North Island but after pricing the freight it kind of kills that idea. I've got a couple of months before we get possession of the new place so I'll just keep an eye out for something local.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:29 am 

Glenn I think you have been raising the hoist too high if you need a stepladder to reach. I coated my floor before the hoist went in to save it from disasters. Lawry
PS. Don't forget lockouts as mine has one on each post for safety but others have one next to the motor/pump for ease.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:58 am 

lol....haha....I was doing a balancing act...and in a feat of semi aerial ballet all of the oil out of my wifes car ended up on the floor.... 8-[ new expletives were created...lost my $hit for a few minutes...dented my tool box with the hammer :?

Mine has jack screws so cannot fall....and has catch nuts if the main lifting nut fails on both posts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:32 pm 

The newer hoists seem to be mostly electro-hydraulic rather than electro-mechanical. Is there any benefit either way? I guess hydraulic lasts better but for home use I'm not sure that matters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm 

I would expect the hydraulic ones would be able to lift more, be smoother or faster than the mechanical which would need lubricating etc. Blow a hydraulic hose though...
No rubber thingies to wear out on a mechanical one...

Yes, 3 phase motors are much better if you have 3 phase in the workshop. Smoother operation too.

Glen, you didnt get the oil catch can on a pole thing from the BMW workshop?? :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:27 pm 

Sam7 wrote:
Yes, that's a good point. I have 3 phase power so might go with a 3 phase hoist. There seem to be a few second hand ones around at reasonable money. I guess used 3 phase hoists don't appeal to DIYers as most will only have single phase connections.

That's part of it, but also professional workshops must have their hoists re-certified after 10 years, so they just sell them off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:42 pm 

I think the rules are a bit different in NZ. They seem to have to be inspected annually for commercial use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:09 pm 

my one failed its inspection...I bypassed the issue...lets just say its a one man hoist...lol. safe though.
too much electrickery in the bloody thing.

Hydraulic...mechanical...dont really think it matters...best brand cheapest second hand...yup...thats all you need. Id just stay away from the cable ones...I like the jack screws...no safety locks clicking away and needing to be disengaged before bringing the hoist down...just the emergency catch nut. only issue is with older ones is that the lift nut which is a big steel cylinder with a top and bottom bolted together has a plastic material inside it...they can wear out....and they are BLOODY EXPENSIVE. [-X

Michael ....nope...The floor needed cleaning anyways. 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:46 am 

A quick update on this. Talking to a guy who owns a local workshop he reckoned that hydraulic was the way to go. He had one of each installed and he reckoned replacing the nut on the mechanical hoist had cost as much as the hoist was worth.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:56 am 

Agreed Sam. They last the “life” of the hoist and once the lift nuts are done they sell the hoist off. If you can do it yourself it’s not too bad but if I do it to mine I’m still looking at a grand. That sucks however I nurse mine along and as long as it lasts it’s all good. I’d go the hydraulic next time.