It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cultus Intake Manifold Questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 pm 

I found a cultus intake manifold to buy in the states and I better ask some questions before I spends some money on it. Are the throttle bodies directly compatible between the cultus intake and the North American intake throttle bodies? Any other mounting issues that might be a concern between the two?

Post subject: Re: Cultus Intake Manifold Questions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:15 am 

bracing is different if you can have mouting brace under the trottle body with it if not not a big concern but dont pull off the engine by the intake :lol:
the throttle body is bolt on and hole in the intake is larger then 45 i think they are 50mm, so they are ready for trottle upgrade, pipe for vaccuum and evap system are also different but you can work your way with americans ones, may or may not have EGR ports depend on year of production

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:27 am 

bostssgt wrote:
bracing is different if you can have mouting brace under the trottle body with it if not not a big concern but dont pull off the engine by the intake :lol:
the throttle body is bolt on and hole in the intake is larger then 45 i think they are 50mm, so they are ready for trottle upgrade, pipe for vaccuum and evap system are also different but you can work your way with americans ones, may or may not have EGR ports depend on year of production

Thank you for the information. The one I found has been painted (paint needs to be removed) and is a little hard to see, but looks to be intact. I guess I need to make up my mind if it is worth the price. Any change in the rpm power band range? I'm assuming it is a decent flow increase from the north american intake manifold, but does any one have any substantiated info on flow characteristics?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:54 pm 

The Cultus power was a combination of several upgrades rolled into a package so it is hard to isolate one item to determine individual benefits. Cams, Intake Plenum, Throttle Body, Pistons, Exhaust Pipes and ECU changes added to about 15HP. Apart from aesthetics and questionable power increase the intake is about half the weight until the extras are added. Food for thought.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:11 pm 

pictureshowman wrote:
The Cultus power was a combination of several upgrades rolled into a package so it is hard to isolate one item to determine individual benefits. Cams, Intake Plenum, Throttle Body, Pistons, Exhaust Pipes and ECU changes added to about 15HP. Apart from aesthetics and questionable power increase the intake is about half the weight until the extras are added. Food for thought.

I saw the hp & torque curve shown on one of the threads showing the difference between standard gt(i) manifold and Cultus manifold. Some differences, but I'm unsure if that was just talking about only the manifold or the difference between a standard gt(i) and a Cultus as a whole. Nothing will be stock after I'm completely done, and it will be turbo charged. The reduced weight and the different look might be enough. It does come with the throttle body, but I don't really know if it is the one that originally came with the Cultus manifold. Good information; thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 pm 

throttle body on the jdm swap a bought long time ago was 45mm , only the intake had the 50mm hole, i think it worth it for the old school look and the HP gained with it, but these day with computers and fabrication skills everywhere, it may be not so much more money involved, to custom build a better intake

i have 3 of them (tubular) now looking for a 1987.5 reverse cast cultus manifold :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:55 am 

In a galaxy far far away.

We opened the Cultus throttle bore on the intake up to 60mm. Then used a Nissan throttle body. We even took a Ford MAF housing and did some machining to it. For the OE sensor to fit.

We found good gains. The MAF was a bit tricky.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 am 

92GT wrote:

We opened the Cultus throttle bore on the intake up to 60mm. Then used a Nissan throttle body. We even took a Ford MAF housing and did some machining to it. For the OE sensor to fit.

Tricky to fit the OE sensor to the Ford MAF housing? Or tricky as in the car behaves strangely?

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley,Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi.
2001-Altezza AS200.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:54 am 

instantshine wrote:
92GT wrote:

Tricky to fit the OE sensor to the Ford MAF housing? Or tricky as in the car behaves strangely?

You need to do a little milling to get the sensor to sit correctly. Let me know if you want a bit better idea. I think I have some old pictures around that we used to show people. Also you must separate the rear half of the housing. This is because you will need to open the air passage exit a bit. Till it runs correctly. Voltages etc... If you have a wide band, data logger, or dyno time. You can fine tune the air fuel a bit better.

We did this stuff a very long time ago to the Swifts and worked well. Just a bit time consuming.