It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Phantom Grip LSDs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:33 pm 

has anyone used or had any experience with https://phantomgrip.com/ at all?!

i noticed on a Honda forum that they had a bit of a bad name, but was wondering if the Suzuki peeps have had anything to do with them!?!

cheers

Post subject: Re: Phantom Grip LSDs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:59 am 

For my daily driver it’s better than not having one. More horsepower probably warrants a proper slippery. From my knowledge of them it’s all about getting the right spring rate which dmwdave has managed to sort out. I am doing at least 4 oil changes a year because of the way they work. Overall you get what you pay for, it’s a cheap option that when i get the chance i will upgrade. Pm Dave to get any info.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:36 pm 

They only really work in a straight line and up to about 150whp. Any more power than that and the plates do nothing. And they really do nothing when going through corners. I've used them in several diffs (in my gti) then went to a welded diff but have just bought a helical diff which I'm yet to install.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 am 

The spring rate in a genuine Phantom grip(from the usa)is nowhere near strong enough to work.The Phantom grip syle plates I make are made to accept a much heavier(almost double) bigger diameter strength spring pack.
For a normally aspirated gti they work to reduce one wheel spinning,for anything above 150hp atw they cannot control wheel spin.
The main reason I use them is to prevent diff failures in the weak gti gearboxes(one of the most common failures is a exploded diff),for this purpose they work very well,limiting one wheel spinning reduces the risk of the main cross pin in the diff friction welding itself to the little planetry gears which in turn breaks a 5mm roll pin and allows the diff pin to escape out the side of the box ,usually destroying the gear case.
I fit these diffs in every gti box that I recondition and the diff failures have become a thing of the past.
If your looking to reduce wheelspin on a na gti then this is a pretty cheap option,if your running a turbo gti with more than 150hp atw you should be looking to upgrade to the m16 /g16 large frame gearbox anyway.