It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Excessive oil in catch tank in competition car
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:29 pm 

I'm running a modified G13B in a Suzuki Cappuccino for hill climbs, track days etc and have experienced excessive oil pumping through cam box breathers to the oil catch tank.
The engine has 12.5 comp and operates mostly between 6-9000 rpm.
It's not cylinder blow-by as it's a fresh bore set up. I have suspected inadequate top end oil drainage and last I had the head off I noticed the multi layer metal head gasket I'm using had a restricted drainage hole on the front end.

Has anyone had this issue or have any suggestions ?
I'm going to open out the gasket hole for a starter.

Attachments:
File comment: Breather set up
DSC03469a.jpg
DSC03469a.jpg [ 204.98 KiB | Viewed 811 times ]
File comment: Breather set using std ports
IMG_3556.jpg
IMG_3556.jpg [ 138.87 KiB | Viewed 809 times ]
File comment: Head gasket with restricted oil drain hole
IMG_3555.jpg
IMG_3555.jpg [ 155.6 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]

Post subject: Re: Excessive oil in catch tank in competition car
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:32 am 

The elongated holes on the exhaust side are the oil return or drain holes which normally sit lower when head is on an east west oriented GTi installation, hence, draining isn't a problem. Oil feed is sent through the small hole top left of cyl 1 as your gasket sits in pic. A lot more oil will sit on top of the head in your installation but will still drain towards cyl 4. Is the sump bulge in the front or rear of the engine? Have you run in the engine? What oil did you use for that? What oil are you using now? Catch can is a little small for capacity so I guess the car is not log booked and is street registered. Food for thought.

Last edited by pictureshowman on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:55 am 

Another few tips,
The breather system you are running is not a very good set up(hose is way too small and any oil that does get in there runs downhill into the bottle),try running dash ten breathers from the top of the cam cover,positioned approx where it says suzuki 1300,weld dash ten fittings on the cover then use 90degree areoquip for the breather lines and move the breather bottle up to the bulkhead so that its higher than the cam cover,that should be enough to minimize the amount of oil going to catch can.It is pretty common on a fresh built engine to have a lot of blow by until the engine is run in properly (especially if running gapless type rings without proper set up.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:37 pm 

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
My motor is still canted slightly to the exhaust side but not as much as in the swift.
Being longitudinally mounted I would have thought cornering G's would have more influence which side the oil drained so that may be an issue when doing a transplant from an east west car.
The motor was run in using Penrite mineral for the purpose, now runs on Synthetic.
The catch can is deceptive but is 2 L and the car is log booked.
Looking at the breather port fittings again, they are tiny (5mm ID?) not sure what I was thinking...
I believe a decent sized top mount port is a good idea but the catch can is still slightly down hill.
There's no room on the bulkhead as suggested but i could raise it somewhat where currently mounted.
I'll keep experimenting.