TEST REVIEW: 2018 Suzuki Swift Sport Turbo

For all RedlineGTi and general Suzuki related discussion
zedd

Full story here ROAD TEST REVIEW: 2018 Suzuki Swift Sport Turbo

Pitched as "very warm” on the popular hot hatch scale, the Sport arrives packing a whole lot more grunt than its predecessor adorned with active wear to set it apart from the Swift family.

Featuring go-fast plastics with a carbon fibre look, prices start from $24,990 plus on roads - the automatic versions attract a $2000 premium. That undercuts Euro competitors like the Renault Clio RS, Volkswagen Polo GTI and the Peugeot 208 GTi.

"We're not packing a 250kW engine into a 50-something thousand dollar road-going Exocet missile designed expressly for homologation into the World Rally Series,” Suzuki Queensland general manager Stephen Craig said.

"Instead, we are in the very warm, very manageable, very desirable, very affordable, very impressive sector of the hot hatch market.”

Suzuki Swift Sport Turbo

PRICE $24,990 plus on-roads (manual, good buying)

WARRANTY AND SERVICING 3yr 100,000km (short) servicing $1814 over four years (mid-range)

ENGINE 1.4-litre turbo 4-cyl 103kW/230Nm FWD (pretty quick).

SAFETY 5-star, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, high beam assist, emergency autonomous braking (excellent)

THIRST 6.1 litres/100km (par for the course)

SPARE None, repair kit (becoming common)

BOOT 265 litres (small)
Attachments
2108 Swift Sport Turbo
2108 Swift Sport Turbo
Swift Sport Turbo.jpg (28.43 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
druiddave

I had planned to write a review of this little gem over the weekend but plans went awry so that didn't happen.
I've done about 2100k's in mine and to be honest I can't find anything I don't like about it. It's fun, sexy and damn quick. It has all kinds of entertaining little features to play with. The carbon fibre kit is the genuine deal, not some plastic with a wrap on it, you understand how they managed to pull the weight down and it shows when you give it a burst of acceleration and feel the turbo kick in. Damn!
It's not given the GTi badge, but this is the modern incarnation of the GTi. It's slick and sassy and likes to run. The turbo and close ratio box with lower redline means I've hit the limiter a few too many times trying to wind it out like I do in the GTi, but once you get the feel for it the new configuration is very satisfying in its own unique way. Cruising at 110 and someone in a delapidated road rat ( something that looks like my GTi :lol: ) moves to pass belching smoke and barely able to get over the speed limit inspires a quick hit to the go pedal and as they disappear behind you, a glance at the speedo, you're doing almost 170kph and hoping there's no police or speed camera waiting around the bend.
Then some time later we come to the Tweed Valley Way. Nice tight curves and hills, darkness and trees along the road edge, the LED lights on high beam slice through the darkness like a set of spots the old GTi was begging me for for months. Hit the accelerator in the downhill from the end of the overtaking lane, 140k's and approaching the tight left curve that runs back uphill, shift to fifth and give it some gas. It grips, growls and eats the hill, still at 120 as you take the right that follows and your running back downhill again, careful of the guardrail!
I can't wait to see what this car could do with some mods, I think it would make a great hill climb car or track racer. The potential of this package feels almost limitless. It wants to run, and it wants to do it fast.
Try it, just once. I'd love to know what you think.
Eat, sleep Suzuki. 8)
Let your freak flag fly.
instantshine

Awesome! That sounds great man.
I would so love to test drive one. No sport here yet. Last time the distributer here brought 2 sport, they barely sold. it's to expensive for the general public and a lot of competition in the small car segment.
1996-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley,Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1991-GTi:
1989-GTi. Turbo.
2003-EVO7 GT-A
[YLD80Y]

druiddave wrote: Try it, just once. I'd love to know what you think.
I'd like to see one put up against a Vitara Turbo, mostly to see the trade-off between performance and practicality!
Suzuki MightyBoy - Three pots and a snail.
druiddave

[YLD80Y] wrote:
druiddave wrote: Try it, just once. I'd love to know what you think.
I'd like to see one put up against a Vitara Turbo, mostly to see the trade-off between performance and practicality!

I'd like to see that too. Pity I'm not allowed to race mine due to my novated lease agreement. :cry:

Instantshine keep an eye out if you get the chance to drive one take it. 8)
Let your freak flag fly.
[YLD80Y]

I don't mean putting them against each other on the track, but a more practical test of daily driving duties combined with some weekend windy road action.
Suzuki MightyBoy - Three pots and a snail.
bzchi

I really like the shape of the turbo Swift.. I even started really liking the front grille.. but the wheels.. I can't handle the wheels! :(

I hope there are updated wheel options in future.. something more like the FZ sport would be awesome :D.

I haven't seen a turbo Swift in the wild yet.. but plenty of new model Ignis and Vitaras out there!