Hatch attack 2014

For all RedlineGTi and general Suzuki related discussion
southy

Is there going to be another hatch attack?
TEAM RIFF RAFF
Rasputin wrote: Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.
toocruisey

I hope so it was such a fantastic day and would be prepared to help organise
MK3 Bit by bit it's coming together
evilhighway

I got my hand up wanting to go if there is! :D
SOBIL

winton?
"It's not that i lost it, I just run out of room to save it."
toocruisey

Well I guess the easiest way to decide is by asking the question..

Who wants attend Hatch Attack 2014 ?
scotta1966

We are in x 2
pictureshowman

First questions are "Where and who is making a track available for very low money?" Once decided I would travel for that.
If "X" is an Unknown quantity, and a Spurt is a drip under pressure, then an "EXPERT" is an "Unknown Drip Under Pressure".
Why dont they just call it "Womenapause" instead.
toocruisey

Well I would think it would need to be track either in Brisbane or Sydney so travelling people can bunk with others like last time
Secondly I think the cost doesn't need to fall on one person but could be shared and the balance made up with entrance fee
Zuboo could you shed some light on how much money we need ' It would be a shame to not make this happen again simply because of money.
1600GTI

Morgan park Raceway???
Camping is available at the track.
And there is caravan and camping grounds at Warwick which is only 5 minutes away.
1600/1300 TWINCAM BALENO
with GSXR 1000 QUAD TB'S
bzchi

1600GTI wrote:Morgan park Raceway???
Camping is available at the track.
And there is caravan and camping grounds at Warwick which is only 5 minutes away.
1600GTI will cook the sausages. :lol:

Track hire will likely be upward of 2-3k (think Zuboo may have paid more) , so people would need to be chipping in $100+ a head.
1600GTI

bzchi wrote:
1600GTI will cook the sausages. :lol:
For free this time. :-P

But seriously ...wouldn't it be more like hatch attack 2015.
Would be good to have it after the summer heat goes away. Maybe this time next year. Good dry weather, not too hot.
Gather plenty of people.
I am sure he we plan ahead, it will be better than the first and allow everyone a year to get their projects finished.
1600/1300 TWINCAM BALENO
with GSXR 1000 QUAD TB'S
badbaker

From what I've heard, it's a awesome day out and worth the money. I'd be willing to pay up to $200 a head if need be.

Also have a few mates with hatchbacks, though the are civics and Vws, who would be keen for this too
OMG GTi

If its as good as the last hatch attack, I'll drive from Adelaide again.
N/A all the way!

94 mk3 gti. Bd14s, extractors, group A chip, adjustable cam gears, 10.2mm leads. 69.6kw atw - Sold
2010 Suzuki swift sport, hks turbo kit.
94 Gti undergoing resto with M16a.
pictureshowman

Morgan Park is a great circuit and has many different layouts to choose from. There is really nothing bad I can say about it except in winter it would suit the Mexicans better.
If "X" is an Unknown quantity, and a Spurt is a drip under pressure, then an "EXPERT" is an "Unknown Drip Under Pressure".
Why dont they just call it "Womenapause" instead.
dmwdave

To private hire either Lakeside or Queensland raceway you are looking at $8000 for the day or I think $5000 for half day,Dan had a deal last year because the track operator owed him a lot of money /track time for all the fire equipment work Dan and Harry do for them.I am certain Morgan park could be hired for less ,but someone should check what Wakefield park charge for private hire.
racer5

I suggest same location as 2014. Reason is numbers.

After being burned myself by hiring a track and prepaying for people who didn't show up. I suggest a prepay system to see how much money would be available for track hire before someone actually books one. Refund if it falls through.

Seems to me most cars who would attend an event like this are from qld. I just can't see enough numbers in nsw.

So from a numbers point of view, holding it anywhere other than qld would be hard to get enough to pay for the event.

Another thing is if the track is around the corner from you guys in qld, it's a lot easier to organise and run it.

Not trying to get out of it, I've run my fair share of events and know what's required in terms of helpers.

Disappointed I didn't make the effort last year.

I would be prepared to pay $200 entry for the day.
Retired the gti after 12000 track kms of fangin around.
Eastern creek 1.54.10, Wakefield 1.12.60 Bathurst 3.05
psigti01

i would travel back to QLD for it, and hopefully last longer then last time (although epic) 8)

2-$300 not a problem!
SRS Motorsports

JasStv

I spoke to some guys from Sydney at Morgan Park who hired the track for tyre testing They said it was much cheaper than Wakefield Park

I think it would be worth contacting Morgan Park operators if you plan Hatch Attack in 2014

choice of track layouts from 1.2 km to 3 km for K circuit
gtpswift

Having been involved with a car club that organised a 'national' challenge every year generally comprising 2 days of circuit racing and a motorkhana with associated Concourse, social drives for the non competitors and of course the social evenings festivities, lunches, breakfasts etc it is a big job. The targets have always been 70-90 entrants across all of the events with entrants from all across the country. The committees usually number 10 people to pull this off with budgets in the 20-30K range.
Each year the event has moved around the country to one of several club level tracks, Winton, Mallala, amaro, oran park, Ipswich, wakefield etc and run by the local club.
It is a massive undertaking. For a one day event the organiszation isnt that much less and to undertake it would need significant pre-confirmation of attendance before tracks were booked and money was spent.

I believe Hatch attack 13 was organised as a thanks to the community by Dan? I doubt the very low costs could be achieved again...

GTP
[YLD80Y]

dmwdave wrote:To private hire either Lakeside or Queensland raceway you are looking at $8000 for the day or I think $5000 for half day,Dan had a deal last year because the track operator owed him a lot of money /track time for all the fire equipment work Dan and Harry do for them.I am certain Morgan park could be hired for less ,but someone should check what Wakefield park charge for private hire.
Basic private hire at Wakefield is about $7500 for Sat/Sun, plus additional for ambo, timing, marshal, control tower, etc. Probably somewhere closer to $9k for full hire.

Another track worth considering is Marulan DTC. It is a small track but probably better for the small group we would have.
Suzuki MightyBoy - Three pots and a snail.
Tassie_mk1

you could always come to Tassie? Symonds Plains is about $2000 for the day with ambo's, timing etc extra :)
Back in the game! Now building something mental... Will I ever finish? I hope so! When? No idea.
Budget Racer

pictureshowman wrote:Morgan Park is a great circuit and has many different layouts to choose from. There is really nothing bad I can say about it except in winter it would suit the Mexicans better.
+ 1, excellent venue.
Just spent the weekend there again and loved it, bloody freezing though.
(Well, by Qld standards)
You might have more inches, but I'd rather be blown.
racer5

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Another track worth considering is Marulan DTC. It is a small track but probably better for the small group we would have.
The emphasis is on small. Not much bigger than a go kart track.

Noise is a problem there. they shove a bunch of wire up your exhaust to quieten the car. For na this means greatly reduced power.

Nice bunch of people who run it though.
Retired the gti after 12000 track kms of fangin around.
Eastern creek 1.54.10, Wakefield 1.12.60 Bathurst 3.05
Zuboo

I have been staying out of this to see where it was going to go.

The points to make a great event i feel are.

The Happy laps (Street racing with out a need for helmets keeps it simple) for street cars.
Racing for the people who take it more serious.
Cheap to keep it keen for people who need to travel and people who have spent too much on there swifts
No noise limits as 20% would be over 94db
Need to fly [YLD80Y] for free to film

The stuff you did not know was the insurance issues days before and a 30 page break down of the event and measures taken, safety officer needed to be on site the who day had qualifications, full time fire official, 2 medical officers, driver trainer officer, timing people, plus qr staff to handle the insurance forms and paper work.

Lucky between my self and a few friends we have all the above licenses to run the event with insurance. Problem will be if its held at another track i can not see them allowing the happy laps as no other track in Australia does anything like that. 80% of people who turned up did the happy laps.

Having a look at the dates September the 20th is still free which is the same weekend we did last year and a few days in November. September on average has the lowest rain fall in qld which is why jamboree, powercruise are all in September

Its LOTS of hard work and like last year i will need to call in a few favors to get this underway as there is no way the members would be able to cover the cost and the staff required. Due to the amount of work involved I'm still 50/50 to do it again due to work and the time involve was insane.

That's the bad stuff now for the good.
I made 332hp on the dyno :lol:
My close mates are keen on this to happen again and are pressuring me to no end.
SuziAuto are keen to come on board again and help out with the cost.
The first event was a huge hit with numbers and the overall feel of the event and anyone who was 50/50 last year will put effort to make it this year.
All little issues that came up during the event i now have a better way of preventing them learning from the last event which should make it a little easier.

So after all that i still don't know. But for it to work with the non track racing people and the track racing people i think QR is the only track, lakeside would also work but has a 94db limit which rules some cars out.

Morgan Park could work but i don't know how he will be with the events we would like on the day not just track racing and not being a CAMS club is also an issue for insurance at that track.

Just don't know.
A dyno will tell you anything you want, the 1/4 mile will tell you the truth!!!!
[email protected] ST, 58.98 sprint [email protected], 61.6 Lakeside, 294HP ATW
southy

Would it be possible for this to "expand" to different hatch types or are you trying to keep it Suzuki orientated?
Thought was the more cars the more divided the cost will be but it will obviously be harder to manage everyone!

I started the thread to see where people were at with the idea, its good to see you are at least thinking about hosting another and to see people are willing to pay for it!
TEAM RIFF RAFF
Rasputin wrote: Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.
drumer_z

Zuboo wrote:lakeside would also work but has a 94db limit which rules some cars out
I have been at lakeside on time attack days and I will say that there are cars there that have been well over 100db and time and time again no one bats an eye, they all keep racing. I have never heard a swift that is as loud as some of these. I originally thought we didn't have it at lakeside was the track being notoriously dangerous. No one wants to tow their car home to Vic/new/sa etc
Work, Rest and GTi
Puss-on-Boost

drumer_z wrote:
Zuboo wrote:lakeside would also work but has a 94db limit which rules some cars out
I have been at lakeside on time attack days and I will say that there are cars there that have been well over 100db and time and time again no one bats an eye, they all keep racing. I have never heard a swift that is as loud as some of these. I originally thought we didn't have it at lakeside was the track being notoriously dangerous. No one wants to tow their car home to Vic/new/sa etc

I've been black flagged for noise at lakeside in the past.

People avoid being black flagged if they are racing amongst a group and can't be accurately identified as they drive past
Education is important, but race cars are importanter
zedd

drumer_z wrote:
The noise limit can be an issue. A few years ago now we had a Redline skidpan day at Lakeside and were closed down early because of noise (mostly tyre noise :twisted: ). We did all get some laps on the main track before we went home as compensation. Depends on the day and neighbours. Might be more relaxed now but the risk is still there if the agreed noise limit isn't met.
[YLD80Y]

The last Canberra cruise included a half day on the skid pan, which has a 92db limit. We had no issues as everyone knew well in advance and made any necessary exhaust mods to keep under the line. Noise shouldn't be a problem if you're aware of the rules.
southy wrote:Would it be possible for this to "expand" to different hatch types or are you trying to keep it Suzuki orientated? Thought was the more cars the more divided the cost will be but it will obviously be harder to manage everyone!
More numbers does equal less cost per person, and I'm pretty sure that the idea of Hatch Attack was to have a bit of inter-badge rivalry with the Starlet guys, but there just wasn't enough interest. No reason this couldn't extend to Honda, but you really need to know the other club and their members well to ensure that it doesn't turn into a big s**t fight when egos hit the track.
Suzuki MightyBoy - Three pots and a snail.
evilhighway

[YLD80Y] wrote:
southy wrote:Would it be possible for this to "expand" to different hatch types or are you trying to keep it Suzuki orientated? Thought was the more cars the more divided the cost will be but it will obviously be harder to manage everyone!
More numbers does equal less cost per person, and I'm pretty sure that the idea of Hatch Attack was to have a bit of inter-badge rivalry with the Starlet guys, but there just wasn't enough interest. No reason this couldn't extend to Honda, but you really need to know the other club and their members well to ensure that it doesn't turn into a big s**t fight when egos hit the track.
I know of a few daihatsu guys that may be interested too. If we want to expanded to other hatches then I can make a decent post about it on daiforum. I think with how dead that forum is we would probably only get the ones that would be genuinely interested. My thinking would be for the interested ones to register interest etc here so there is no stuffing around.

That is if hatch attack goes ahead ofcoarse.
Budget Racer

If I may add a few ideas / opinions of mine.......

I understand the insurance issues around CAMS events and the requirement to be a CAMS affiliated club to have cover.
Since you are looking at opening the event to other makes, is there another "Hatch" club that is affiliated, under which the event could operate?

The "happy Laps" component, and giving non racing drivers of street cars a fun day is of prime importance to the success of the event. My thought is that most of these people see the event as an opportunity to get a taste of track driving (As well as having a good time generally around the other aspects of the event)
If the event were to run like a typical CAMS club level sprint event, the driver would require neck to wrist to ankle non flamible clothing (Jeans and long sleeve cotton T) plus an Aus standard helmet. Would this be too much of a hinderence to the average street driver that wants a go at the track? (Think sharing sweaty helmets as an option!)
When I first started I bought a $5 T shirt and a $100 motorcycle helmet, figuring I could afford to bin them if I didn't like it, and that was the price I paid to find out.
Oh, a CAMS day licence will be required too, $30?

Morgan park especially is my pick of tracks that would provide a safe, fun and interesting facility. (Also there is a drag strip next door at MP......).
A typical sprint at MP has 6 cars at a time on the track, well spaced apart, and in a group with similar speeds, perfect low stress introudction for first timers etc. However no passengers are allowed in sprints.
MP also runs Test and Train days along similar lines where instructors (Passengers?) are allowed, perhaps this may be a route that could work?

I also find I enjoy the events at club run venues much more than those at commercial operations such as QR and Lakeside.

Completely understand the huge amount of work to put something like this together, and apprecaiate Zuboos effort to make it happen last year.
You might have more inches, but I'd rather be blown.
dbennett

Would definetly do it again :) and as stated the "happy laps" is a big part of it ... I'm more than keen to watch the racers in the morning on the pan like last year that was rather enjoyable ... And I'm sure the other happy lappers won't mind a couple of hours of standing around watching the cream if the crop if it means they get to go on a legit race track hahaha
99' Gti

CONVO RACING
Zuboo

The mx5s held a national meet a month ago at lakeside. :shock: :shock: :shock:

A dyno will tell you anything you want, the 1/4 mile will tell you the truth!!!!
[email protected] ST, 58.98 sprint [email protected], 61.6 Lakeside, 294HP ATW
SGTi89

I certainly would be interested in going again & I think up to $200 - $300 would be fine.

No little red low km GTi this time though - Cino/GTi 5 door instead!!