It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 94 Gti Manual Transmission
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:36 am 

I recently got a 94 Suzuki Swift Gti and am working on making it into a track car. The transmission though makes a little knock in 3rd gear so I removed it so I can rebuild it but I have found very little information on the transmission. I can find a rebuild kit but not manual or tutorials or help anywhere. If anyone has any help to offer or suggestions that would be great.

Post subject: Re: 94 Gti Manual Transmission
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:23 pm 

There is a pile of information in the technical section, these gearboxes have been pulled apart and documented so many times, unfortunately with the demise of Teamswift, much of that information is taking a long time to resurface.

https://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewto ... f=7&t=6993
Look in the gearbox section :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm 

there was some great step by step pics Michael...was that team swift?

If you can get your hands on an Emanual...not that expensive and print it out or at least the gearbox section you will be able to rebuild easily....its documented well.

I googled it...there are plenty of e manual websites...like this...Im not checking it out as i have one already.
http://blog.shoesonline.co.il/suzuki_sw ... manual.pdf
cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:29 pm 

Yes, Teamswift did have a comprehensive gearbox teardown thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 pm 

Howsie13 wrote:
There is a pile of information in the technical section, these gearboxes have been pulled apart and documented so many times, unfortunately with the demise of Teamswift, much of that information is taking a long time to resurface.

It is coming back as you said it just takes time. http://ssgtirep.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=492

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:42 am 

Ask and ye shall receive! Link saved thanks Macuserman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:03 pm 

macuserman wrote:
Howsie13 wrote:

It is coming back as you said it just takes time. http://ssgtirep.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=492

Thanks Mac, love your work buddy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:31 am 

So I am 17 yrs. old working on this project car with my dad. We got the transmission out and our about to tear it down but I am looking around for rebuild kits and can only find ones on ebay such as this one. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geo-Metro-Suzu ... SwnDZT0zxD)
I am trying to make sure I get on of decent quality and will last, looking for suggestions on rebuild kits or any other information regarding build tips at all on the swift.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:29 am 

When i last rebuilt my gearbox which is still working great i got a lot of parts from http://www.suzisport.com dealing with Sean. He could either sell you a kit or give you the part numbers to track down. I just looked in my suzuki workshop manual hoping the complete part numbers were listed but they don’t appear to be. I also have bought a kit from suzitech whose website is down but probably are in facebook or suzistore whose site shows out of stock. I found the old teamswift site was very usefull for showing how to do it. At the time i found very little information but now have the suzuki workshop manual which fully explains everything. If you can’t find the old teamswift threads i can upload photos of the manual to dropbox when i find some time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 am 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/znq4e74tz34i ... 5RAMa?dl=0
Thats everything in the gearbox section.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:55 pm 

I got bored and found a part number list and added the photos to dropbox. From memory some of the syncros had a different number of teeth depending on vin number which means a different part number making it a guess if you don’t know what the box came out of if it’s not original. I would recommend changing all the syncros, Sean can probably help you out numberwise, worn gears are getting hard to replace but not impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 am 

Suzisport said a bearing kit for the transmission is $535 which seems a bit pricey, I'm still trying to find out if these eBay kits work. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geo-Metro-Suzu ... SwnDZT0zxD). Since it comes with all the syncros does the vin matter or since they are all being replaced will the new ones work fine? and thanks for all the Dropbox images.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:45 pm 

I do recall at least 1 of the bearings is only made by 1 company so it has to be used, a weird size only they make. Using the part numbers and trying to buy them from a bearing supplier could also not be cheap. I will see if i can find my paperwork from when i did mine. Suzisport like using a roller type bearing on the front of the input shaft. I think that one likes failing when hp is upped a bit. A lot of people don’t seem to replace the roller halfs on the gears/shafts. I reused mine and nothing bad has happened yet, they looked pretty good at the time. A few syncros where within specs and got reused to save some money but it’s obvious now between the new and old ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:06 pm 

My invoices from back then got binned. I did find another another complete parts list, probably most match the other list. I think the syncros will probably still work. From what i can remember comparing them the ones with less teeth were just some were taken out of the pattern, still with everything left matching the gear teeth for the selector hubs. Different aged boxes, slightly different syncros but overall probably interchangable, maybe early and latter mk3 boxes. I don’t know for sure. But,.. some have different crown/secondary shaft angle cut, same number of teeth but different angle. They have to be kept as a pair. I think the Suzitech kits came with a stock main front input shaft bearing and optional beefed up and modified housing version. Not worth the effort but a roller stock sized one is easy enough. On the 2 boxes i pulled down the outer races on the main bearings looked like they had been spinning so i used bearing retainer on them. You can’t doodle, or use a heat gun to soften it if it sets too quick, that should stop that problem. Probably a good idea to replace the counter sunk endplate screws with hexhead hardened ones and use thread locker on them. I think they have a habit of undoing themselves if reused, just make sure the replacments don’t bottom out before the counter sunk part torques up. I might check out my parts stash for old packaging, i need to tidy it up anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:58 pm 

I fitted new bearings to two boxes about a year ago. I bought the bearings and seals from my local SKF supplier. They cost me $290 nzd for the two sets. If you've got the box apart then just take the numbers from the old bearings. From memory I think it's the outer mainshaft bearing that's a bit odd ball and there's only one option for it. SKF supplied it but it wasn't a SKF bearing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 am 

So I was trying to put new rear brake pads on today, but the caliper will not got back far enough to fit the new pads. I have tried using c clamps and everything, it wont move back anymore and it still wont fit over the new pads. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:00 pm 

release handbrake...they screw in...you cant push them back

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:53 pm 

swift12 wrote:
there was some great step by step pics Michael...was that team swift?

If you can get your hands on an Emanual...not that expensive and print it out or at least the gearbox section you will be able to rebuild easily....its documented well.

I googled it...there are plenty of e manual websites...like this...Im not checking it out as i have one already.
http://blog.shoesonline.co.il/suzuki_sw ... manual.pdf
cheers

That's a good site for manuals! Thanks