It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Upgraded tie rod and rack ends?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 am 

I have a 95 gti with a bit extra castor and the heavier slow speed turning is wearing out stock tie rods and rack ends a bit too fast for my liking. Normally the cheapish stuff i have been using i get a few years/30000k’s before i feel the slop creeping in. The tie rods usually are non greasable and the rubber boots always seem to split starting the wear cycle. Anybody ever tried upgraded/race quality tie and rack ends with more angle movement? Seems to be a lot more options online these days.

Post subject: Re: Upgraded tie rod and rack ends?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:35 pm 

I'd be keen on this too...running 6 degrees castor and 2 neg. have electric power steer fitted now to help. Plus shorter steering arms from the late model suzukiswift spindles.

I think I might need to upgrade the little u joint prior to the rack as well.

Do you know if these racks are strong enough for all this extra load on them?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 am 

I have found running slightly longer tie rod ends helps me get more thread in and makes it safer.There is two types of later model Swift ones and a Hyundai one that accomplish this. I don't remember which ones ATM but will research this today. Mine are attached to new Swift Sport Steering Knuckles which have a shorter steering arm giving heavier steering. No electric PAS yet.

Last edited by pictureshowman on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:28 am 

Thanks picture showman. Hey I think I had to run the swift tie rod ends for the new swift knuckles but I can't remember....do you know if they were needed or do we retain the mark 2/3 te rod ends? Whatever I used they fit the taper and the original tie rod but because our steering is heavy just like saczel I'd like to ensure longitivity and safety.

I have a knock in my steering but I believe some of that comes from a tiny bit of play in three areas. The removeable steering wheel, the lower u joint and the rack. I need to see if the rack is adjustable....I had to reuse the lower u joint as it fits directly to the rack....any other u joints use the mark 2/3 rack spline?

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread saczel but hopefully all the info is useful to all of us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 pm 

It’ all good. I have not found out much info regarding tie rod ends except a discription of gti specs, not sure if it’s official or even correct.
Gti tie rod specs
Part# 48810-60B00

Fitting Position 
Left 
Fitting Position 
Right 
Cone Pitch 
1/8 
Length 
Thread Size 
FM12X1.25R 
Cone Size 
Thread Measurement 1 
MM12x1.25

Megan racing do make some stuff for nissans and hyundi’s and a few others and so far nothing matches. They call them “roll centre tie rod ends” and they are not too keen to tell me much because there is no listing for gti’s, i guess they are just covering themselves from liability. Does anybody actually know the model of the hyundi tie rods that fit? The spherical bearing ends are fairly common in all sorts of threads and quality levels but the tapered post seems like a mission to track down. From various forum discussions i have run into the rack ends are normally up to the task but the outters cop heaps more abuse.