It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: WTB: mk2 transmission
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 pm 

Item Description:
Building a mk2 track car and found supplied trans needs a new 4.1 final drive set. Would be interested in either gear set or whole trans I can use for a spare(preferred). Pick up in Ontario Canada would be great,but shipping gear set is an option.
I'm new to all these Suzuki parts, so any suggestions on gear sets/ratios would be appreciated. I have gears from a gti, but the ratio spreads aren't ideal.
I had Mike who ran 3tech? over to my place, but unfortunately I have lost his contact info.

Price Range:
$0/500 Can

Contact Details:
Darren

Attachments:
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG [ 161.2 KiB | Viewed 28 times ]
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 1.JPG [ 127.05 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 132.06 KiB | Viewed 28 times ]

Post subject: Re: WTB: mk2 transmission
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm 

If Dattman is still looking at redline he is a wealth of info on the boxes. Also lots of info on redline. Look in the "start here first" part of the gti section. Lots of info on the gears.

Recently I bought a low speed synchro and a second gear new from Japan. $195 and 135 plus 15% tax respectively. About the same in Canadian I think. That does not solve your final drive issue. I have two 4.1 final drives here but in all honesty I swapped them out for your more common 1 litre version in 4.389. I am assured it's a better ratio for track. Won't fix the gaps though. That is where you have a problem unless you get the big bucks out. I have a hybrid set in my track car. Close 2/3/4/5. Noisy whine as big chunky gears. And a clutch type LSD.

If this box does not work out I'm going to adapt a 1600 box.

Believe me....it's a friggin minefield.....good luck mate. You need better ratios for the track especially if you have performance cams.

Check your hubs and synchros carefully too....they are weak....especially second gear as it's a big gap on the downchange.

Post subject: Re: WTB: mk2 transmission
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:22 pm 

thank you, will keep reading and learning.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]