It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mk2 Swift GTi Rally Car Rebuild
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:53 pm 

Hi guys, good news.

I have just sold my 1964 MG B roadster, and as a result of that, I now have space and funds to start the rebuild of my Swift GTi rally car. I will be giving it a good birthday, modernizing it and just generally improving upon what's already there. I will try to document and take photo's as I go to post on here.

The car was originally build by Ross Mackenzie here in W.A in 1990, but has since competed in over 60 rallies all around the country with various different owners. A good tidy up and should be good for 60 more ;) ;)

Attachments:
File comment: the car as I bought it
IMG_0551 (2).jpg
IMG_0551 (2).jpg [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 18 times ]
File comment: the car as I bought it
IMG_0545 (2).jpg
IMG_0545 (2).jpg [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 15 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mk2 Swift GTi Rally Car Rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:56 pm 

Looks fairly clean for a rally car. What gearbox is in it and interior pics would be good?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:00 pm 

Hi Mate,

Subscribed.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:54 pm 

Update 2

Over the last few weeks during some free time I started to strip the car back to basically just a rolling shell. Lots of left over mud and dust to clean off (much of it in places that ideally I'd like to try and keep it out of in future). Many bolts undone, lots of rivets drilled out and everything labelled, semi organised and cleaned. Have started to weld up some of the holes in the wheel arches, firewall and cabin in general. It's not a great deal of fun getting covered in dust/mud when inside the car, so time taken now to minimise the points where it can enter the cab is definitely worth effort. Once the majority of the little fabrication jobs I can do at home are done, I'll send the car the to a mates fab shop so we can install some sill stands, and make up some new seat mount brackets (and maybe lower and relocate the seat rails further back). With the seats bolted in, working out fuel/brake line routing, handbrake mount, and just general in cab layout of components will be next.

Also, Gearbox is the standard case, with unknown internals as is the engine. Was all running and working when I bought it, but will have to do further investigation. Engine was idling at about 3000k, but that was an easy fix once I had a good look.

Attachments:
image2 - Copy (2).jpeg
image2 - Copy (2).jpeg [ 897.18 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]
image5 - Copy (3).jpeg
image5 - Copy (3).jpeg [ 638.2 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]
image5 - Copy (2).jpeg
image5 - Copy (2).jpeg [ 724.13 KiB | Viewed 9 times ]
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 497.63 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 pm 

From a maintenance point of view one of the worst things with any fwd rally car is the hammering that the floor pan gets from gravel coming off the front wheels. Plastic shielding in the wheel arches and down both sides of the floor helps a lot with keeping the floor in an ok state.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:32 pm 

Update 3

Have been plodding along with some of the smaller jobs over the last week or so. Making some little brackets to hold the dash in better, as well as using nut inserts to hold in/on some of the parts that are normally held in with little plastic trim clips. Am currently waiting on some parts to arrive (by far the worse part of any build) so I can start mocking up a few bits and measuring clearances between components.

So, while the car sits there idle, I thought now is the perfect time to open up the gearbox and find out what I've got. The gearbox was working fine when I drove it, but as the exhaust system is 99% pipe & 1% muffler, its very difficult to hear any potential problems. In bits on the bench, it was easy to see the diff has been changed to something more suitable rallying, but after counting lots of teeth and looking through the homologation papers, it was clear (and disappointing) to find out that the gears are just standard. A good clean and inspection of everything, some new bearings and re assembled it ready to go back in. I did make the mistake of looking at close ratio gearsets online for a couple of hours until I just decided to put it back together. (maybe later)

So, back to waiting.

As for the inside of wheel arches and floors getting a hiding from gravel, I do have some ideas for coatings as others have tried things over here in small projects, but I am still doing some research. I do have some material on its way to make new inner wheel arch liners as the ones that were on it had about as much coverage as most bikini's down your local beach.

Also, when I try to add photo's I randomly get logged out. Before my laptop flies over the back fence, is there something I can do about this ?? TIA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:39 pm 

photos for the previous post

Attachments:
image12 - Copy.jpeg
image12 - Copy.jpeg [ 630.28 KiB | Viewed 2 times ]
image2 - Copy (4).jpeg
image2 - Copy (4).jpeg [ 619.37 KiB | Viewed 4 times ]
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg [ 504.64 KiB | Viewed 1 time ]