It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 1.3 Swapped U.S Spec MK1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am 

A little about myself first.

I have been into Suzuki's for about 5 years now. Mostly the Samurai model. Even worked 3 years for a Suzuki aftermarket parts manufacturer as a sales tech. In that time I built my 3rd Suzuki truck which had a Turbo G13B on Microsquirt.

It was fun but ended up being more than I needed. So I sold it.

For a while I had been talking about getting a Swift. More common here as a MK2/3 body style Geo Metro with a 1.0. Very rare to find a GTi. The MK1 body style is also rare to come by here. It is badged as a Chevy Sprint. It came with the 1.0 in both N/A and turbo. The turbo got GTi styling. The MK1 GTi is pretty much impossible to find in the U.S.

So with a generous budget after selling the Samurai, I started looking. Though I wanted an MK1 I was willing to settle on MK2/3. Many are rusted out and not well cared for. I had a few interests here and there. But after 2 months of looking I finally found the perfect one.

A clean nearly rust free 1987 Chevy Sprint non Turbo. What makes it so perfect? It was already 1.3 swapped. A G13BB to be exact. A SOHC 1.3 was my exact plan for a fun daily driver. Problem is that it wasn't for sale.

I found the photo of it first. Found the owner and was extremely excited to find out he was only 4 hours away. We talked a lot about it since it was what I intended to do to whatever one I ended up buying. After a while I think I gained his trust. He threw me a number, which is certainly on the high side for one of these cars. I think he was very surprised when I told him I had the cash. To me it was worth it for something that already had the hard work done. No backing out now.

We met at the halfway point a few days later and I brought my new Suzuki home.

Never before have I been so happy after a car purchase. The drive home was filled with laughter as I experienced a fun balance of power and weight.

Just because this car has the engine swap I wanted doesn't mean that its done. You may first be asking yourself "If you're going to go through the hassle of 1.3 Swapping an MK1 why not just go right for a DOHC?". Well, as I mentioned before, they are hard to find here. It was a fluke that I found the one for my Samurai. Second, I've done it already in a Samurai and I want to try something different.

Once again, you may be asking yourself "How different is a 1.3 SOHC?" The answer comes in 2 parts again. First, This one is already unique enough with MSD ignition and a Mazda 323 ECU. That would already be a good start for adding low boost to have heaps of fun with. But more importantly, I have a billet quad carb adapter for the 8v G series head. I think that is what will make this a fun and unique daily driver.

Some may see it is a step backwards to lose the 16V head and EFI. And really it is. But again this not about making huge power. This is about having a unique and fun to drive car. Whats more fun than the engine sounds you get from quad carbs? Whats more fan than the confused faces you get when you open the hood?

In the meantime while I work on sourcing the rest of the parts for the quad carbs I will be working on cosmetics. Making the car my own.

Purchased a set of Datsun 280zx wheels. Still deciding if I like them. I also have to finish upgrading the rear studs to 12mm before I fit them. The front already has GTi brakes thankfully.

And also installed some Acura RSX-S seats as they have a very similar look to the MK2 GTi seats.

I also have some turbo skirts on the way and a grant steering wheel.

That's it for now.

Post subject: Re: 1.3 Swapped U.S Spec MK1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:13 am 

Welcome to the forum :!:
Always good to see a Mk1 with a future =D>
It looks like you have some interesting ideas plus the ability to execute them properly.
Look forward to seeing some progress pics as you transform your new baby...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:21 pm 

charcoal wrote:
Welcome to the forum :!:
Always good to see a Mk1 with a future =D>
It looks like you have some interesting ideas plus the ability to execute them properly.
Look forward to seeing some progress pics as you transform your new baby...

Thanks. I definitely used a lot of info from here during the turbo G13B build.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:31 pm 

Here is the Grant steering wheel and MOMO shift knob. Just waiting on a Grant 4510 adapter.

Another thing I did over the weekend was remove the rest of the A/C box under the dash.

And I lowered the driver seat another inch or so by cutting the seat frame down and welding on new tabs. I will only do this for the driver side. The passenger side height is fine for sitting but just did not work well for the driver side with the steering wheel and pedal placement. It is much better now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 pm 

Finished painting the wheels.

Which means that it is time to upgrade the rear studs to 12mm

The drum material is much softer than I expected. A stepper bit ate right through it with no problem. The knurl is 13.05 which means you should technically use a 13mm drill bit. but I dont have one and they are expensive. I used a 1/2" bit which is 12.7mm. I was originally just going to dremmel the hole a little bigger but after seeing how soft the material was I figured the stud would have no problem being pressed in.

Ordered some new stub shaft stake nuts. All the parts catalogs said m18x1.5 for the rear but mine were actually m16x1.5. I put them on with some Loctite for added security and torqued to 75 ft lbs.

I have some before and after shots of the wheel offset difference. The wheels are 14x6 et10. Which is kind of a lot. Scouring the forums I found very few people running this much offset so I was a bit concerned. Especially with the GTi hubs making the front wider it was already rubbing with the wheels that were on it. They were 14x5.5 et40. I think the main reason it was rubbing was because the tires were 175/65R14. I went with a 185/60R14 on these new wheels to cut down on the radius a bit. I also switched to a more summer oriented tire for better traction since right now I can light up the tires way too easy. They are Falken Ziex ZE612 copys under Falkens Ohtsu brand name. The ZE612s were a highly regarded tire before the design was discontinued.

Anyway, here are the differences.

Definitely going to need some flares and definitely going to need rolled fenders after I lower it. But I think it looks good and currently they do not rub. Unless of course I am flying over a nice little dip in the road. The tires feel great. Much more grip even in the cold weather we have here. Cornering is heaps better with the stiffer sidewalls. The left inner tie rod is shot so I ordered a set of inners and outers for both sides. I'll work on getting new poly bushings for everything else soon but those can be done without changing the alignment.

All 4 wheels and tires on the car.

Shift knob and steering wheel fitted.

The Suzuki Samurai Grant 4510 adapter fits these cars just fine. That will allow you to fit any of the 3 bolt steering wheels. If you want a 5 bolt you will have to get an adapter. Which is fine because my steering wheel needed spaced another good inch away from the cluster to be comfortable.

Doing some research on suspension. I think I have that all figured out and will be ordering stuff soon for that.