It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:27 pm 

Got a part no?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:06 pm 

Unfortunately, they don't keep stock, but what they did for my friend was make one for him using an old pad for a mold. They would recommend a compound. I'm using R8 presently but with power increase I may have to go up to r10. Shoot them an email and tell them that your interested and they should be able to do the same for you.
The pad is miles better than hawk, EBC and project Mu of similar classing. I have not been able to compare it to anything else really.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:07 pm 

You can also send a new pad, my friend told me the pad shape for the swift sport calipers 2008 model is GP1614.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 am 

I cant find that shape...nothing comes up on google....what brand?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 am 

This is one post off topic but I’m so damn proud of Nick. First solo.... =D>

Attachments:
4437F947-4A28-47D0-8777-9FFC5704C537.jpeg
4437F947-4A28-47D0-8777-9FFC5704C537.jpeg [ 126.23 KiB | Viewed 29 times ]
D1A847D2-74E8-4EA8-8CBC-24FAE3CE0C5E.jpeg
D1A847D2-74E8-4EA8-8CBC-24FAE3CE0C5E.jpeg [ 91.95 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]
4013E8DB-F05F-497B-B313-2DDD95F31A53.jpeg
4013E8DB-F05F-497B-B313-2DDD95F31A53.jpeg [ 242.69 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]
B85B7973-61F2-484D-A6F6-7EAEB32B6E0E.jpeg
B85B7973-61F2-484D-A6F6-7EAEB32B6E0E.jpeg [ 270.99 KiB | Viewed 28 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:09 pm 

Well done Nick! Youtube AirforceProud95 for some giggles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:15 am 

Cheers Michael. Don’t forget to nudge me about that lifter when I get home.

Well back on topic.

So I’m still having trouble finding good intermediate pads for the tokico NZ/AUS made swifts 2005 plus.

I need good initial bite....and I don’t have a booster....if I can’t find something easily maybe it’s time to go to willwood. I’d rather have an off the shelf item as they are sacrificial rather than something that has to be adapted. There is no doubt about it....one of the greatest assets is the ability to hit the brakes with 50 metres to go when everyone else is hitting the brakes way before....our brakes are ok....but not inspiring. Perhaps it was a mistake removing the booster....don’t think it can go back on....maybe? Just wondering if it will clear the electronic throttle. I’d like to try a simple pad change first.

Now....exhaust. I’d like to ceramic coat the header (2 options) I made but it’s expensive even for the cheap option ($240) and only 20% reduction in temps versus the 60% reduction which you need a small mortgage for....as in $700.
Must be made of gold....it’s half of that price overseas.
So I hated the cheap Chinese wrap....left fibreglass crap everywhere. But a friend that’s raced for years just wraps them....using good wrap like DEI. I have bought some of that stuff....it’s lava rock...
I know ceramic is the best....I have heard all the internet hoopla on wrap ruining headers from rust....possibly overheat fatigue....I can hit it with the high temp silicone before wrapping. Really not too worried about all that....
But....comments welcome....not really the “I did this so it’s the only way to go type of advice). I do lots of s**t that’s just wrong....you have seen it all. More the....real world experience comments and wether the wrap lasted, cracked pipes, or wether ceramic actually reduced temps. Rather....wether you have used wrap and or ceramic and the specific reasons why you like a product. I will not be spending $700 for the gold based unobtanium ceramic coat that’s for sure.

Why do I want to do it? I would like under bonnet temps down a bit, the header runs quite close to the oil cooler. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm 

I know it means rework but you may be able to install the booster if you reverse the intake plenum. I am negotiating with DEA Performance exhausts to have a set of Ceramicoat headers made for about $600AU but have yet to get a reply. Will let you know the results but yes I am also trying to reduce the under bonnet temps and improve the engine cooling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:30 am 

Thanks picture. I prefer the feel without the booster. Wilwood pedal boxes get away without boosters...
I’d just like to get more bite earlier on. I really can tell when lockup is about to happen without the booster and the brakes are good.....only once they are hot hot hot.....that’s the trouble I think. The pads are supposed to work between 250 and 700 degrees from memory....I can feel on a max brake effort they really start grabbing when the heat hits.

I could rework the manifold and I was going to....just mainly cutting off the end piece to get rid of the multitude of vac fittings and lengthen the plenum by no 4.....putting a rounded end on it.

Good luck with the headers....that would equate to just under 1000 here but seems fair if it’s the 60% super ceramic coating

I have just realised how much work I have to do now to get it going again.....the pistons did not arrive..... :cry: so I’ll get them sent down....hope the rebuild does not take to long.

I get 3.7 days off after this London trip and off to Canada..... :roll: so I’m not getting much done. Hope the next roster eases a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:41 am 

Pistons inbound....race engine builder notified....gearing up....hope to be getting it all back together soon. In the meantime....making a fuel rail, finishing the exhaust header, repositioning the oil cooler, fitting a new radiator and getting the ducting for it sorted. Pics soon....not given up....just busy at work 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 am 

You guys really feel an upgrade in fuel rail would help? I never thought it was necessarily even in a heavily modded NA. I know your a fabricator so if U can make a pretty AL one, the why not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 am 

Hi NG. Good question....needed....absolutely not. I do have two reasons....well three really but the I’ll tell you the third one first...I’m a bit stupid with money. 8-[

Reasons one and two are somewhat valid.

1. The standard rail uses the 1989 regulator in the rail for fuel pressure. I needed more pressure than stock as it was a bit lean on the previous ECU so I fitted a Tomei FPR to the return line and boosted the fuel pressure only two psi. It was a bandaid fix. Now I have the link extreme I may not need the Tomei and just adjust the ecu for the ideal fuel map....(tuners job) the Tomei is new....the 1989 regulator is nearly 30 years old....the chance of failure of two items doing the same job is much higher so I’ll leave it to the Tomei (genuine not cheap knock off)

2. With the cultus manifold I cannot get the original fuel rail out of the car for any injector work etc without removing the manifold first. The regulator and fuel pipes get tangled up...then the injectors fall out while trying to hold it all together....this way....nothing to get hooked up on....just two swivel AN6 joints each end....one by the cam sync (old dizzy) to the feed and the other end goes to the tomei....can set 43 lbs and maintain perfectly unlike the stock which changed pressure depending on running condition so my tuner will have to tweak the fuel map....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:08 am 

Just had a compression test in my rebuilt engine. Numbers AVG 285psi per cylinder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:17 am 

wow...great pressure!...what gas do you run that on?

well i had a real nice surprise yesterday....

our club has changed the lap times for our classes and plonked us right in the middle of no mans land.....thanks a ####ing lot. :roll:

We were aiming for 1:23...we are at 1:23.8 with more time to come off with more laps but now need either 1:20 or 1:25. so...3.8 secs?....####! that aint gonna happen...dont say turbo...aint gonna happen.

so now we have to slow the car down or drive down....oh what fun. :cry:

nope...we are just gonna drive it like we stole it...blow out the laps times....have fun....come nowhere...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm 

Oh how wonderful! Just enter into your own class for the next race :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:49 pm 

Running it on 95 octane unfortunately because that's all that's available in my country. Didn't install the motor yet, that was from turning over outside the car.
What may be on benefit for you with respect to times would be, running an even more conservative tune to preserve engine life and adding more weight to get the car to behave even more predictable, then you can be at 1:25 :D.
Only way to shave that 3.8 would probably be 0 TW tyres and race gas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:20 pm 

slicks will shave time....but not enough...a conservative tune....how do you do that?

I asked my tuner....he said removing timing only serves to heat the motor up....its not a good way to "detune" an engine....and AFR is AFR....that cant be tweaked unless you run it rich.

Maximum RPM reduced....well i'm limited to a min of 8200 rpm or we will hit the limiter in 5th gear.

possibly reducing throttle opening? I have the electronic throttle....maybe 80%?

personally it sucks to MAKE A CAR SLOWER 8-[

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:42 pm 

Shave more weight and Ive got spare turbo flanges for your manifold :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 am 

swift12 wrote:
a conservative tune....how do you do that?

I asked my tuner....he said removing timing only serves to heat the motor up....its not a good way to "detune" an engine....and AFR is AFR....that cant be tweaked unless you run it rich

Pretty common to add a little extra fuel. One important point to remember is the afr is a combination of your 4 cylinders. Chances are there is variation. If that is the case and you are at "optimal" afr you are probably running at least one cylinder a bit lean.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:48 am 

Down here in the scenic isle there is a company called NPD (Nelson Petrol Distributers) who have a number of stations in and around Chrischurch. At most of their stations 100 octane is available.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 65  Next