It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:51 pm 

today..mucked about with driveshafts. decided to just repack my with grease and refit the boots. can get a Japanese made CV...from HDK...anyone know of them?

seems like there are widly varying accounts of what breaks and when...just decided we won't break one.... 8-[

the front bumper looks a bit pox but i have not spent a lot of time making it "beautiful" 8-[ because after all its in the frontline.... :x I fitted some lightweight ali mesh into the hole I opened up for the oil cooler and radiator...just to stop track debris hitting the two radiators. I also made a ramp to direct air up towards the oil cooler....water temp is not an issue. then I made the whole thing come off quickly as it needs to to go on the trailer. two of the original nuts hold it on...plus the plastic slider things at the back of the bumper....and two rubber bumper ties....also got two push locks to hold the top bits from flopping around....thats is...seems fairly robust...but we can remove it in 30 seconds....and put it back on in 45. much easier than before!

Attachments:
IMG_6106.JPG
IMG_6106.JPG [ 290.66 KiB | Viewed 10 times ]
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG [ 283.13 KiB | Viewed 7 times ]
IMG_9851.JPG
IMG_9851.JPG [ 194.01 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]
IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1890.JPG [ 295.02 KiB | Viewed 7 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:32 am 

Functionality and performance over looks! Looking good anyway, we would not have noticed :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:10 pm 

Thanks Howsie.

these bumpers are really flimsy....my oil cooler is right behind it....nothing to stop the bumper pushing back into it if there is a small fender bender....but here is now....1.5kg chromoly bar I made....sits right at the front of the inside of the bumper and comes off with the bumper but sits on two mounts right on the end of the chassis rails. Its lightweight....but at least you could take a slightly moderate fender bump without it all crunching up into the fragile bits. now I gotta find another 1.5kg to take out of somewhere else... 8-[

the piece of chromo was for the offroader i was once going to make...man that stuff is strong.

hey on the cv joints...how much play is too much radially on the cv's? they seem pretty sloppy....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:19 pm 

The new CVs i put in were amazing and the manual does not give any tolerances for the joint. I would put new ones in if any are sloppy.

Sorry, I did not take a pic of my shagged one that I replaced, but it was munched.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:29 pm 

I have two coming to part master monday....brand HDK apparently made in japan.... 8-[

I asked to look at an HDK joint....looked ok.

HDK su06. correct dimensions and spline counts.

My NKN ones can move rotationally in the grooves showing reasonable slop...maybe a new joint would be better no matter the brand.

Suzuki don't make them anymore.

Then I guess i could use that credit up at the machinists and get the axles shot peened.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:25 pm 

this chromoly bar is fitted inside the bumper and welded to the bumper steel...then it fits on the posts on the chassis rails....eases fitment of the bumper and gives the oil cooler etc a bit more protection in case of a small bump.

Attachments:
IMG_5365.JPG
IMG_5365.JPG [ 208.27 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG [ 298.12 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]
IMG_7910.JPG
IMG_7910.JPG [ 387.52 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:17 pm 

I just went to BNT and told them what I needed. I am not overly fussed on brands for parts, yet. I don't like buying cheap parts, so ill avoid Trademe sellers as much as possible. However BNT cannot get me a rear engine mount for my Mondeo, but there are plenty on TM! (Already bought one 2 years ago and it has flogged out again.)

Nothing like new parts, you know that!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:27 pm 

it seems like manufacturers stop making parts and we have to have aftermarket parts some of which are not great. hope you find the bits you need Michael.

well I took apart the axles today.....had a bit of a whoopsie....I cut the CV cages out and tried to press the middle off....one went ok but the other would not budge....so i cut the centre through most of the way both sides...split one side then pressed it off....but it exploded....damaging the end of the axle splines a little but they are ok....cleaned them up....just the bits that hold the circlip on. problem was the cheap ass shop press went "PHWANNNNNNG"! and I got clouted with the 12 ton jack on the head...nice big egg on the bonce.... [-X rrrrrgh.

Tomorrow I'm going to get the new CV's shot peened on the end...as well as the axles....then hopefully I'll never have to worry about them crapping out.

I mucked about with the front bumper again today...added a bit of plastic to drop the front of it a bit and started on a splitter arrangement....yes or no?

Attachments:
IMG_9492.JPG
IMG_9492.JPG [ 284.1 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG [ 284.08 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:56 pm 

Owies! Never nice to injure oneself!

Yes to the splitter, I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm 

thanks Michael...yes it was not enjoyable....i wasn't able to even swear which meant it was a bit of a shock.... 8-[ but it didn't knock me senseless luckily...especially with my job....just left a nice egg on the head which has gone down now...

the plastic is 3mm poly which is just screwed into the bumper....the splitter is the foam bit which will be covered in carbon fabric...keep it light but strong...it should really be high density foam but i have no idea where to get it from...this is light to medium density thermal foam from bunnings....i figure if I coat it with west systems and micro balloons then sand it before adding the fabric it will be strong enough.

the whole bumper will come off with the splitter and ill have two clips the rear of the splitter will connect into when fitted...i know it will need to have some strength but its not huge so i think what ill do will suffice. personally I like the swift in general but don't like the look of the front bumper and this is somewhat better to look at I think....practically?....probably won't do a bloody thing......lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:09 pm 

axles almost rebuilt. no pics today sorry.

they have been shot peened as well as the new HDK cv joints. I have painted the cv's and shafts. tomorrow Ill put them together and take some pics. hopefully Ill never break them.

I finished the onboard fire suppression system...pics tomorrow. god I hope that doesn't work unless needed or things will get a bit wet!

I fixed a pesky water leak or at least I hope i have....just one drip every few days from the thermostat housing.

I have ordered the west systems epoxy for the front splitter. That should be fun...(until i have to sand a lot!) :roll:

first track day on the first weekend of december!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 am 

there is a peel away fabric as part of fiberglassing systems which helps smooth the resin/matting down on finished faces not on a mould.
How far does the splitter extend. are you putting venturis or tunnels in it? Dont point them at the wheels if you do...

GTP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:17 pm 

hey GTP....im not getting that tricky...just hopefully improving the "track look" of the car....maybe a useless mod...it only goes back under the car as far as the front guards in front of the wheels.

Just a flat plate...but i will mount it securely as part of the bumper as I do appreciate there will be some load on it at speed. Noted on the holes....couple different angles to view...any comments...smaller or larger...even if negative gratefully accepted....this is just a rough out.

I did do the drive shafts today.

Ran the engine after fixing a pesky water leak....took a video....https://youtu.be/h6YlHVTm7OQ just a rev up showing the response I'm getting. the "click" you hear is my accelerator stop....its metal...and here is one of our rattly lifters and gearbox!!!at least the trigger wheel is straight. https://youtu.be/JNARruFQyt4

Please ignore all other noises....this car is meant for helmets and to be full noise at the track....not idling in the shed!

Attachments:
IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG [ 231.34 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]
IMG_8536.JPG
IMG_8536.JPG [ 262.16 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]
IMG_4861 2.JPG
IMG_4861 2.JPG [ 309.04 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]
IMG_3896.JPG
IMG_3896.JPG [ 292.29 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]
IMG_3679.JPG
IMG_3679.JPG [ 296.22 KiB | Viewed 4 times ]
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG [ 338.1 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG [ 226.45 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:57 am 

Oh if only I had the $$$ to do this sort of stuff!

I subbed to your channel, first at something haha!

Looking awesome Glen and that is some serious response on the throttle. The lightened flywheel would help I suspect, all that balancing and tuning shows.
Lifter sounds exactly like one of mine, tick tick ticking away. Will take them all out and clean when I replace the camshaft. I have tried additives and a thinner oil but no luck so far.

I am looking forward to the next racing video!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:53 pm 

haha...a lot of the ticking is the injectors!

Thanks Michael...working on the splitter today...thats going to be some work for sure.... 8-[

got some redlinegti.com stickers on today.....looks great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:04 pm 

Got the redline GTI stickers on today...look great!

got a coat of epoxy on the splitter...put some 3mm Ali into the areas that will hold the splitter to the car. Also put some 20mm holes in the foam that will be filled with resin...looks like it will be some work

Attachments:
IMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6168.JPG [ 265.32 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]
IMG_8005.JPG
IMG_8005.JPG [ 320.26 KiB | Viewed 4 times ]
IMG_7005.JPG
IMG_7005.JPG [ 248.18 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:23 pm 

guys that watch this build thread....(sometimes I think im talking to about 5 people...! 8-[ lol.

The foam i have for the splitter is not very high density stuff like surfboard composite foam....its not super soft.....I have surfaced it with epoxy resin...put hard points in for the mountings and almost ready to cover it in 5.6 oz carbon.

when we made model aeroplane wings we used ordinary foam and it was super strong when laminated...

have I got the wrong stuff for this job or is it worth a shot? i was going to put two layers on the bottom and 1 on the top...plus another along the top edge where its seen on the front. thats all the carbon i have....its not good to put a layer of fibreglass underneath as that is actually more flexible so the carbon breaks and leaves a weakened structure...I know this piece is probably sacrificial but damn its a lot of work...i guess no matter how strong it is it will break if hit... 8-[ perhaps i have answered my own question...comments?

Attachments:
IMG_8005.JPG
IMG_8005.JPG [ 320.26 KiB | Viewed 3 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:08 pm 

oh my god i didn't think this would happen!...A friend of mine said let the ball come to the bat...and he was right! Thanks Blake....just purchased....set of 15 x 7.....4 x 114.3.....Rays volks TE37 GENUINE....shows the weight on a scale and the genuine rays stickers....resprayed....straight...no curbing....offset 35! $1100!....excited!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 am 

Awesome build. A lot of people don't want to muck up the thread but are reading it never the less. I'm curious how much the 15 x 7 weigh since my TE37 that are 15 x 6.5 weigh 10lbs. Mine are 45 offsets which allowed me to buy a 10 mm spacer that hub centered the wheel. The spacer is less than a 1/3 of a lbs. An ebay company out of Hong Kong. You might be running different spindles, but I thought I would share.

Rear one, but show inside

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:42 am 

Can you get any kevlar? much more scuff resistant than carbon or glass for the under side and front edges. decorate over with carbon
GTP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next