It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:15 pm 

Thanks Sam. I'll measure up when I get home. Cheers G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 pm 

So do you think we will break driveshafts? I'm trying to work out if it's the non gti cv's that break....or is it shafts....are the gti one side ok? The stittles broke driveshafts and or cv's at 140 hp. They were on 225/50/15 tyres. Now we have 140 hp atw....I wonder if the drive chain will last.
Is it rallying? Or track work ? Who has broken them and where do they break? Was it a cino joint and shaft or a gti? I understand the gti ones are stronger.

I have asked DMWDAVE if he still makes upgraded ones but maybe doesn't frequent here much perhaps with his Ford race car. I read you could use Magna cv?
Cheers g

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:55 am 

I have broken 1600 driveshaft on passenger side next to CV on a large frame gearbox on bitumen with 5.11 FD and tall 1st gear 2.5:1 on burnout, but not the gearbox thankfully. Dan Harding had some sets of the aforementioned Magna shafts for sale, but not sure if he still does. I bought one set. I think the shafts are Magna but the CVs are still GTi.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:01 am 

Thanks Lawry. Was yours the gti cv that broke?

I have gti cv's and shafts....a 4.389 FD and the dog box. We don't do burnouts just track race.

I'll pm zuboo to find out. Thanks for the info.
Hey so you snapped the shaft....and a 1600! Oh dear....
Cheers G

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:10 pm 

Very good numbers, I was last at 114 to the wheels on stock compression, going with some Honda pistons, will report my gains after rebuild

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:04 pm 

hi ng357...if they are Mike coves ones they work well...on his 222/365 (9.125mm lift) grind you can expect around 60 thou valve clearance on the inlets. That was with the block surfaced by 4 thou and the head was around 6 thou. The honda pistons were machined as the crowns would give no clearance otherwise. i guess you know that already..what are they? be nice to know your numbers...hey good luck with the build..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:09 pm 

Fitted a terratrip intercom today....just so we can talk to each other while testing and tweaking. Plus if we take a passenger for a ride.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:01 pm 

I'm using terraphone as well. I have a V1 in my Suzuki and it works pretty well but can be a little noisy at times. I have a V2 in my ae86 and that's definitely better. There's probably better intercoms but we use them because we already have the headsets and the touring sets and they're worth more than the amps. Not sure I'd buy Terraphone if I was starting from scratch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:26 am 

It was cheap Sam and to be honest for track unless your doing an enduro changing drivers and the such isn't really needed. I guess a lot of noise you have rallying is gravel noise too.
The stilo ones are expensive. I only want it for a bit of driver training and passengers. Take it out when not needed. I'll give it a whirl and see what it's like. The stilo dealer did say they were not that good. But then he was tying to sell me a stilo helmet! 8-[

Just checked....
Yup my one was bought a long time ago so is the v1 #-o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 am 

swift12 wrote:
hi ng357...if they are Mike coves ones they work well...on his 222/365 (9.125mm lift) grind you can expect around 60 thou valve clearance on the inlets. That was with the block surfaced by 4 thou and the head was around 6 thou. The honda pistons were machined as the crowns would give no clearance otherwise. i guess you know that already..what are they? be nice to know your numbers...hey good luck with the build..

Yep, used the 222/365. My mechanic is building the engine so he will have to the checks for clearances, thanks for this info though it's very useful.
I have an AEM EMS4 so our build is similar but I'm limited to 95 RON. Will report about clearance issues if any arise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:48 am 

I've never had any driveshaft issues but that'll be because the previous owner had a set of high tensile shafts made. No idea what they'd have cost but here's the uk firm that made them:
Attachment:
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG [ 808.51 KiB | Viewed 7 times ]

http://www.brandmechanicalengineering.co.uk/products.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:51 pm 

ng357.

the 222/365 are great cams mate....Im sure you will like them. did you use mikes pistons too? or is your mechanic machining them down? I do have the measurements somewhere as I got a second set of honda pistons measured. I can tell you I have no hitting of valves on pistons at the stock cam settings...the cams are both retarded about 1.2 degrees...unfortunately hurting torque a little...this is due to 1. inaccuracies in the stock cam gears and nil adjustability and 2. the surfacing of the head and block. My tuner said reasonably decent changes are required to make effective gains...and that 1.5 degrees would make very little difference...possibly increasing torque at the expense of top end...(not a bad thing!) but more often than not changes of 4 to 6 degrees would be needed for appreciable gains that could be felt on the track. advancing the inlets will reduce valve clearance so being ever so slightly retarded only increases the piston to valve clearance there. perhaps fitting the adjustable cams can be something done later but he thinks i'd really be paying good money to seek tiny gains and more track time would get better results.... 8-[ (lol) plus if I want two seconds its $1200 and a set of slicks away!

also we have only 25 degrees of advance max before getting close to the knock threshold (dependant on the base timing accuracy)...we can run 31 degrees on 98 fuel but its only two horsepower and bugger all more torque...just not worth it. so the 139.6 hp and 101.6 FT ILB os at 25 degrees advance according to him. stick avgas in it and we could run quite a bit more I guess....another rainy day thing maybe.

Sam...ah...I thought about getting shafts made...Ill email them and see if they have the build numbers still?
in the meantime I have it on good authority shot peening the shafts could help....$100 plus GST and the local shop has a $95 credit note for me....cant hurt!!!! so I'm taking the shafts out tonight...

Thanks for the info. hey I imagine rallying is harder on the shafts? jumping etc?.... :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:07 pm 

Yes and no, my car was built for tarmac rally so it's not like a gravel event. It's more about variable and uneven surfaces.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm 

I actually got 3-5 more whp from adjusting the cam gears on the dyno, but that was on stock pistons where I didn't have to worry about valves hitting the piston. I will get the info from my builder for you.
He is not skimming the piston because Mike said it's a direct from in. I purchased the pistons from Mike, attached is a pic of mine compared with a stock piston. I do have a friend who installed his pistons and the valve surface was protruding above the deck, he attributed this to probably the block had been skimmed a few times

Attachments:
IMG-20181110-WA0077.jpg
IMG-20181110-WA0077.jpg [ 55.7 KiB | Viewed 7 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:56 pm 

ah yep...if they are from mike then they are done and ready to install.....

yes I agree cams are very important...but remember if you gain HP you may lose a bit of torque...what you gain on one hand you can lose on the other...I guess its all about getting the cams in the perfect position for them....I am not going to bother as Im pretty stoked to get the numbers I'm getting. I guess the bum dyno will tell soon if the figures mean anything! Id be keen to know hows yours go as it seems our builds will be pretty similar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 pm 

Agreed what you get one end you loose somewhere else. I would say I probably lost mine below 3500 rpm. Also remember that HP is an equation of rpm and TQ, so I gained peak HP and continued gaining TQ, my mid range did not change. I also have a dog box so I didn't mind loosing some low end.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:15 pm 

jeez we have much the same setup so will be awesome to compare mate. Is it the kalmar dog box from Chekislovakia (yup cant spell that!) same as SQS? or the one from argentina?

Are you using adjustable cam gears? I made a piston stop and set TDC which was slightly different to factory ...not by much but I guess these are mass produced ay? I have max speeding rods which worked out well...they are well balanced from the factory...I could have stuck with the factory rods but balancing them and changing the little end bushes was pretty much the same cost as the new max speeding rods!

I used genuine main bearings due to a lack of oil pressure on the last engine and sticking reasonably closely to the factory specs however .0008 is just too tight!...mine are around .0016 and the big ends are king racing bearings at .002. We massaged the clearances on cam caps to closer to .002 and they were originally .004...max book figures. I used a genuine japanese made ASIAN oil pump for the g13B.
Im pretty sure "race" clearances are ok on journals three times the size but these are skinny bearings! subsequently the tuner advises my very accurate honeywell oil pressure sensor reports 68 psi at 8000 rpm on its last hot run.

I asked for .0002 piston to bore clearance. I have a knife edged balanced crank ( I bought it like that as a replacement after killing the last crank) I have a lightened flywheel and under drive pulley. The tuner says it responds extremely quickly to TB changes....(possibly too light in the rotational mass which may not be good for torque?) as rather than 25% throttle for the "blip" he only set 15%.

Im running hydraulic lifters still. I got the genuine ones cleaned out...they are better than the mizuno ones found on eBay.

I use swirl polished standard size valves. The head was lightly ported and polished. We opened up the return ports in the head on one side for oil return. Apart from the cultus manifold thats about it. you pretty much know the whole build...are you going to run on a dyno?

Cheers G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:23 am 

Very similar build, I'm not doing as much balancing because machine work here is not very accurate. I stuck with stock rods, used all main bearing OEM, same as stock colour codes. Reused the oil pump because I was unsure which to buy and the OEM new was 70 USD upward, builder reports my original is in good condition.
I will dyno after rebuild, send pics and report on max timing figures

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:25 am 

SQS box, 4.6 FD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:59 am 

no genuine OEM oil pump is $70 usd.....mine was made in Japan....genuine ASIAN pump....the ones from USA no matter what they say are NON GENUINE!...I believe that's what killed my first engine....so you are wise to reuse your oil pump if its in good condition. My pump cost $500 NZD! and was ordered from Suzuki in japan...it has ASIAN on it and is exactly like my original G13B pump.

Nice on the SQS box.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next