It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 am 

I'm not sure....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:16 am 

Thanks to Blake! There is a new donor car coming. Yup....saw it....could not keep finger off the buy now.....Christ I paid $400 for a set of cultus cams and $1400 for a donor motor not too far back. Wife is rapt. 8-[

Attachments:
IMG_5672.PNG
IMG_5672.PNG [ 4.04 MiB | Viewed 146 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:56 pm 

I should be laughing but I can't really given I've got one much the same sitting my shed. I bought mine as a cheap run about that beats driving a Landcruiser everywhere. There's not really that much in common with the competition car, the shell, block, crank, head, gear casing, most other things have been re-engineered in some way so mines of limited use as a donor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:48 pm 

Yeah my wife wife gave me a wee bit of stick but she knows me....lol 8-[
It will probably cost me a new outfit and shoes :roll:
Well mines much the same....however. I need a crank for the second engine....I hope she’s a goodie. What I have from the first rebuild is a brand new set of max speeding rods, new Honda pistons, cultus cams ready to grind, a brand new genuine Suzuki oil pump, a ready to run rebuilt head and a new cam belt.

I’ll keep the box for now...it’s not a lot of use so may be on sold however the case is valuable if it’s a goodie. Panels...if they are good are worth having, mouldings and bumpers....big tick.

Ali radiator....same as ours....tick. Extractors..hope they are factory made....tick. Sell radio, dash, and anything else someone may want as genuine gear. Even got a genuine Gti steering wheel with it.

Sell wheels. Has a heavy duty excedy clutch in it. Ebc green pads on front. Hmmmm.....but they won’t fit as I have Suzuki sport calipers.

Considering I dropped $1400 for a motor in bits and $400 for a set of cultus cams I think $1900 was a bargain.

I’m going to drive it till the reg runs out....I’m going to get the boy in it....do lots of gear changes etc....be ideal since he drives our automatic Mazda 6.
I’m excited! :D
Initially though....nick thought we were making another race car.....lol.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:06 am 

I saw that for sale last week and thought someone would snap it up. Well, I did not think I would see it appear here!

I'd love some new headers too but funds are dry. Just gonna have to wait for a bit.

I was just meaning to copy the Hurricane header design exactly (or the SUZUKIRD ones) rather than re-inventing the wheel. Sounds like you have more than enough nouse to work it out :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 pm 

Yup I done snapped it up!
It has headers so interested to see what they are!
Pick it up Monday!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:21 pm 

have the 92 gti at home. motor goes well. box is very very good. no crunches...goes into gear easily....nice and positive...the gearbox is a full GTI ratio box....nice.

The car handles like a POS. many suspension bush issues and stuffed shocks I think. But i don't care. once the lad has driven it around for a bit getting used to the manual gearbox again in training for the race car we will break it up. sell some bits off it we won't use.

The headers are the awful ones. wildcat. no.1 header tube wayyyy longer than no.4. such a bad design.
so won't be using that.
I might still make my own. Its easier to make the four into one especially as I bought this while overseas.....see below. But we will initially dyno it with the stock 4 into 2 into 1. once I know what works best for us...if its the latter....Ill build my own.

Attachments:
IMG_6467.JPG
IMG_6467.JPG [ 189.3 KiB | Viewed 137 times ]
IMG_9388.JPG
IMG_9388.JPG [ 217.12 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:52 am 

Not sure about slip joints, I think I'd use this type of collector:

Attachment:
collector.jpg
collector.jpg [ 134.95 KiB | Viewed 4241 times ]

You can also buy pressed cones, which will be easier than trying to make one. You just need to work out how long it should be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:33 pm 

Well I checked the TDC again today using two different methods. Piston stop and DTI. Got same answer. Then checked no 1 inlet valve centreline. Both cams are definately retarded 1.5 degrees. I get 107.5 degrees centreline. I believe to advance the cam I need to change the centreline to 106 degrees. This is what mike told me to set them at. Getting them right should help torque.

More work though. Have to fit those adjustable cams to do it. 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:33 pm 

Fitting the adjustable cams should not be too hard, just unbolt the solid ones and bolt on the adjustable? Do the cams even need to come out?

(Curious as I have some too but I want to replace my cams soon. I have some BD10s)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:05 pm 

Yup easy to fit but have to twiddle around with the degree wheel again etc.

I rang Chris the tuner.

We have decided to run it on the dyno as is. Be a good comparison to the previous dyno run.

Not going to do headers right now....not changing cams. Chris said that 1.5 degrees from normal will make very little difference. It will if anything increase high end power. This of course means mid range torque reduction. Something not really wanted....but....it will be good to see only what the throttle body and ecu change has done as we can compare that directly to the previous dyno figures.

That's good because I'll have it all ready for the 9th. Only got a few small jobs to do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm 

Where is your tuner?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 am 

Wellington.

I did the leak on the accusump yesterday. Just a small drip. Do I did the filter and oil. God damn it. I see very fine bits of aluminium! I have been so careful with this engine. There was only clean o out of the sump. One tiny sliver of Ali. Everything else was clean. However out of the filter I moved the non return valve and tipped the contents on the table. Fine speckles. So the filter has done its job but does that mean a bearing or a bit of metal made during running in?
It has clean oil and a new filter. I would have thought if it was a bearing AGAIN that there would be speckles in the sump but there wasn’t and I ran plenty of oil through the accusump often during setting up the new ECU. So the bearings have been washed through by oil several times.
The Honda pistons have longer skirts than the Suzuki ones by 10mm and I’m wondering if during piston rock at the bottom the very end of the skirts may be subject to slight wear?
Oil pressure was normal at the last run.
If this motor gives up on me I wouldn’t know what to do. Probably choose a different motor!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:18 pm 

well.....its undecided...is it crap from the rings scraping the bores...is it piston skirt material....or the worst...bearing?

So the machinist said...Panic slowly glenn. Not many people cut up their filters after the engine is barely run in...if they did they may be horrified. Two options...pull the sump...pull the caps and main bearings...UUUUUGH! or go to the tuner....I asked what he would do...he said if it was his he would take it to the tuner. He asked on what the oil pressure is...well today...cranking on the battery only...(about 300 rpm) with the plugs out...I got 62 psi. He said I wouldn't get that if a bearing was going through the face metal. I imagine the pressure would be much much more if the motor was actually going...and then the relief valve would just bypass oil. The book figures are 51.2 PSI to 62.5 PSI so i guess that the relief valve is set to somewhere around 62.5 psi. If im getting that at 300 rpm...then hopefully the bearings are ok. The only place I found the crap was on the pressure side of the filter...ie trapped before it heads to the bearings. I guess time will tell.

Latest purchase...2 litre fire suppression system. its called cold fire...speedway auto in the states. Environmentally friendly, non toxic, non corrosive, snuff out all types of fire except lithium...but nothing helps with that anyway. Its both manual and automatic. It weighs 7.2 pounds fitted. Is it needed...nope...unless you are on fire and knocked out...to me...thats the worst case so its well worth while. Yup we have a fire extinguisher in the cabin as per the rules...useless if you are out cold and the nearest help is 1 minute away... 8-[ The 2 litres have two nozzles to wet down the driver with fire extinguishing fluid.

Also today...I calibrated the crank trigger. I estimated the setting to be 90 degrees in the software...lucky eh..90 degrees was exact. Now wether it is on the right cam rotation is a different story...thats for the tuner....if its not he just has to take 360 degrees off to -270 degrees and the engine will fire. (or explode... :roll: )

Attachments:
IMG_4049.JPG
IMG_4049.JPG [ 111.17 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:15 am 

Keep in mind that running in causes wear while everything beds in. Dumping the running in oil isn't going to remove all the contaminants so it would be normal to see some residue on the next oil change. You would expect that so diminish with subsequent changes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm 

Im keeping fingers crossed Sam. Thanks for the positive helpful comment. I guess we will find out soon enough.

I looked at Nicks run in the car when we ran it the only time at manfield since we rebuilt it. It was on the fully synth 10/10ths 10w40 after 30 laps of mineral oil running in. I watched the oil pressure gauge and saw no degradation in pressure over the run. I would imagine if that was happening it would be like the first time it happened and pressure would have been gradually dropping each successive engine run. Thats what happened at Taupo. Maybe 5 psi max but that could be hot oil and the sandwich plate and cooler coming into effect...hard to see the gauge on the vid. That was after at least 40 laps. The first engine did not survive 40 laps. This one has done 60 or 70 laps and still yields 65 PSI cold cranking only on the starter. (I assume the rest is bled off the oil pressure relief)

Im revisiting the cam belt today. Ensuring I do not have it overtight. I adjusted using only the spring exactly as per the book. Spring is removed now of course. I had a slight wobble in the under drive pulley...I wasn't happy with that. I have taken it off to investigate. I put a dummy engine block and crank together and attached a crank cam belt pulley to check the under drive puleyl runout. I get 6 thou...which Im happy with....so Im checking the crank pulley on the motor. I have cleaned the face of it...lightly polished the under drive pulley...now ill wait till the boy is home to spin the motor over and ill take a look. I might have to swap out the crank pulley. it shouldn't be a bent crank because its been polished and balanced and checked. incidentally....i used the crank we killed no1 big end on last time initially and found the crank was bent and the runout on the pulley was horrible!...the end where the crank pulley went was 12 thou out!...i wonder if that was bent before???? causing the last issue but i suspect burning the no1 rod up did it. enter crank no2 which has a buggered keyway but its straight.
Wobbles suck...hope its gone.

i went to the trouble of fitting a knock sensor behind the ex manifold only place i could...what a mission. only to find out the bloody knock sensor needs shielded wire!...rrrrrgh....well thats a right bugger.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:08 pm 

Get a brand new engine, drop the oil after 100kms. Lots of metal shavings! Did this on my motorbike with a hard run-in.

As long as you have oil pressure, all is well.
Yeap, excess pressure is bled off through the over-pressure valve on the oil pump. (Same on the water pumps on coffee machines)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 am 

Here's a quick oil pressure comparison for you. This is cold idle ( about 1300 rpm, as the ecu is programmed to maintain a faster idle while cold ) :
Attachment:
IMG_5005.JPG
IMG_5005.JPG [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 122 times ]

This is hot idle ( about 1200 rpm at 90deg water temp, so not race hot ):
Attachment:
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5007.JPG [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 119 times ]

Oil is 10/10 10w 40.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:15 pm 

yeah after a hot hot run it dropped lower than 56 psi...thats for sure...but then we might have been sitting lower than 1200 rpm...on a rev passed a couple thousand rpm it shoots up over 55.

I hope mine is ok...nothing else I can do.... 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:42 am 

Car at tuners today. I'm nervous.
I had to leave....no one likes to be watched or micromanaged. Pilots are good at that stuff. :lol:
It's either going to go well or ummmmmmm.....
Don't even want to think.... 8-[

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 65  Next