It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:14 am 

From memory I think the solution is a two pole isolator with a resistor in the pole for the alternator. This pulls the alternator current down rather than just isolating it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:46 am 

Ok got some info from the guys that crimped my battery cables. Just have to run a decent wire from the return line of the alternator to the live side of the battery switch....then if the switch is turned off....no harm done....also....the engine will still run if the switch turned off if I have the alternator on the engine side! Never thought about that. It's probably electrics 101 but then I'm not an electrician. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:42 am 

I'm not sure that's the recommended approach. If you connect the alternator to the battery side of the isolating switch then yes you will protect the alternator and it can't supply power to the ignition circuit but that circuit will still be live when isolated. That means in the event of an accident it can short and start a fire even when isolated.

As I understand it, the two pole isolating switch with resistors solves that problem by allowing you to isolate the alternator circuit but still protects the alternator by providing resistance if the switch is turned off while the engine is still running.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:33 pm 

I thought the whole idea of the kill switch was to sever all power so that no electrons flowed, reducing the chance of injury and damage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:39 pm 

mmmm...interesting.

today i measured the voltage with the switch on...yup...12.85 volts. turned the kill switch off....to check it killed the power....ummm....it did kinda? It started at 12.5 volts and then slowly counted back to zero volts! Thought it must be something in the alternator even though the motor wasn't going. disconnected the battery....the bloody kill switch still had voltage! still slowly counting down....is that because it has that resister in the kill switch? its got me buggered. :shock:

Sam I guess if the kill switch is turned off the line to the alternator is no more alive than the live line from the the battery to the kill switch. Yes if it shorts the result will be nastiness. I do have another large fuse i can put in the alternator line to the kill switch. that would protect that i guess.

If i put the alternator on the other side then the issue with that is...if the engine is running...and the kill switch is turned off...wont the alternator line keep the ignition alive? or is that the terminals job on the bottom of the kill switch that i cut off. 8-[
Picture does not show alternator line I have put in on the IN side opposite the big bugger cable.

I got the e throttle pedal all wired up. tomorrow the bussmann distribution block. maybe even going live on the ECU and testing sensors! 8-[

Attachments:
IMG_5069.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG [ 266.45 KiB | Viewed 11 times ]
IMG_5068.JPG
IMG_5068.JPG [ 207.56 KiB | Viewed 9 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:42 pm 

If you're connecting the alternator to the battery side of the switch then it will be live when switched off. Yes, the line from the battery to the switch is also live but that will be inside the roll cage and quite well protected. The alternator line on the other hand will be in the engine bay and more likely to be in contact with fuel and subject to damage from any impact.

Here's a diagram for wiring the switch: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document.asp?DocID=TECH00117. It's pretty typical so maybe start by finding the installation instructions for the switch you have and see if it's going to do the job. The short answer is that the switch should have a separate pole for the alternator and the ignition circuit will be on the other pole so therefore it won't keep the engine running.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 pm 

Those flowers are a nice touch.

Yea, we do not want the alternator to keep the engine going so it's feed needs to be isolated from the engine too!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:50 pm 

Where the frig did those flowers come from? Lol.
Hey Sam. That's cool. Maybe I need a new switch. 8-[

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am 

Anyone in NZ recommend a good tuner. Prepared to travel. North Island only.
We have two dynapak guys here. One is fairly open about how he can charge what he wants....and does....says it will be a full day of setup at the cost of $1000. Plus as last time I may have to do all the work attaching it to the dyna pak due to his sore back. Possibly his price is allowing for all of the primary setup to be done...I'm not sure.

The other guy is a month behind and made me feel like a right hindrance when I called in to ask him about an appointment. Obviously not customer orientated. He was about a half day and $500. Obviously depends on how much I have done and wether I have screwed anything up.

I want someone I can talk to....about my setup....no reason to guess how it's all gone together....I know!
I want to know how it will be set up. I'm not after smart arse retarded comments. Basically someone prepared to talk to me....and realise I'm not a stupid person.
I'm not going to tell them how to do their job....that I don't know....but I'm paying...so I'd like someone that I can work with.

So...the car will be presented with every sensor I can test with the ECU working correctly.
I cannot set injector dead times. I do not know where to set peak and hold limits.
I am unsure if the sync in the distributor will be a rising or falling dwell...apparently I need an ossciliscope for that. It needs to be a positive signal first. Apart from that...all software will be set for the first start...I can even set the initial base timing. I have read the link ECU setup about 20 times. I'm sure it won't be that hard...I used to fly radio control helicopters so I know about programming radio control gear. In a lot of ways it does not appear much different. I'll have a good crack at setting up the E throttle...I understand PWM etc....gain...just like tail rotors on a heli. Too sensitive....they jitter...not sensitive enough...they can be slow...to fast...overshoot etc.

I'm off to Europe to support wifey at an archery competition 6 to 26 August. I get a few days off when home....but then I imagine I'll be hammered at work...so I want to book in somewhere.

Let me know if you know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:41 pm 

These guys have the rep (http://www.wrcdevelopments.com/about ) but obviously I don't have any first hand experience with them. I know someone who uses them so I'll see what I can find out. I suspect they'll be a job well done but not dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:13 pm 

I'm not looking for dirt cheap Sam. Never do. Just after guys I can deal with...I'll call them when I get home. See what they are like. Blake has given me a name to try as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:32 pm 

The feedback on WRC is that they're really good and Graham, who owns the business, is a good bloke to deal with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:59 pm 

Hi Sam...just read I'd have to have road tyres for a rolling road....semi slicks and slicks can stick to the dyno wheel. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:03 pm 

I am pretty sure this is the guy my friend went to when we wired in a new Link g4 into his Supra when the ECU shat itself.

Glen, if you head over this way, give me a bell, would be great to meet up and yarn about cars, planes, coffee etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:50 am 

I just might be doing that Michael. I'm putting the feelers out through all channels to find a person "mildly interested" in my job. I think Sam is right with the fact that I have dared to do all of the work myself and therefore not worthy of a tuners amazing skills.

The infrastructure of wiring, sensors electrical circuits is like the prep before the paint job. I'm sure if it's not right they will let me know and charge accordingly. However I will make sure before anyone ever gets it near a dyno it's mostly ready to rock and roll. I guess it's easy to assume most owners are numpties and the thought of "oh Christ this guy is going to bring in an unfinished badly done ecu change and want a cheap job to tune it into a monster"

Truth is...I've probably spent 5 times longer getting everything "right" and yes I have asked a bunch of questions....most answered freely by other enthusiasts and the link support people. The thought I have "done someone out of some money" doesn't sit well with me.

If I had to pay...it simply would not have been done....I have had guys (broadway electrical) who by the way have been a great source of information as well as crimping up a bunch of cables for me tell me that the full rewire and ecu job would cost thousands without even buying a single part. I believe them! Secondly...I have really enjoyed doing the upgrade. I have learnt heaps and that's part of the whole deal.

What I'm after is a guy to say...."hey well done man....good install....let's see what we can ge out of it" or " welll there are a few things wrong....go fix those and ring when it's ready"

I certainly don't find $500 to $1000 unreasonable to get our setup tuned depending on the time and steps needed to get there.

Unfortunately I don't have road tyres to use on the rolling road dyno.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:23 am 

Just swap the tyres off the wife's car for the day, she'll never notice.

I think the one thing you have to remember with tuners and the costings is that there is a bit of IP involved. For a lot of setups it's money for jam, it's cars they've done heaps of and they just pull up the config for the last one they did and tweak it to suit your setup. Things link evo's and subarus etc.

With the Suzuki chances are they've never done one so they don't have that luxury. I'm pretty sure Link don't have a base map for G13B so they'd probably have to start with a 4AGE map or something similar. It's a bit more work even though it is a relatively simple engine. Really you're just paying for their time.

I can give you the map from my ecu if you think that would be any help? It won't help with the sensor config but it would let you see where the ignition and fuel maps are. You'd need to download the software for it ( free ) to read the map.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:48 am 

The wife has a cx5. The wheels are huge! She might notice! :P

I wouldn't mind having the map Sam? It could be a good start to tweak on. It wouldn't be too dissimilar in the end although you run itb's?
You run different injectors too?

Anyone else with a map they would share? I bet there are a ton of off-roaders with these engines but link doesn't know of any base maps.
Anything that runs stock injectors, a link ecu and a throttle body. 8-[

Yes I guess building a map takes time. If it gets tuned in I imagine there is also some to be done at the track. Specifically the blip etc.

I guess I could get the innovate wideband controller and OXY sensor and use it to tune initially? There appears to be a quick tune option...does that build a map or modify a map?
Of course there has to be a map....because it needs a timing map as well. Duh. :roll: best I let the pros do it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:32 am 

PM me with your email address and I'll reply with the map file and a link for the software.

I wouldn't be too worried about finding a G13B map for a Link. The setup for something like a 4AGE in an AE86 is very similar and I know WRC have done those.

I suspect you're probably better just to complete the wiring and leave it to them to configure. Let the pros do the initial setup and then look at what they've done and understand it. Once you're at that point you can tweak or add any additional stuff yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:15 am 

That all sounds sensible to me Sam. I'll pm you. Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:45 am 

If you head to Napier and the offset and spacing is the same as my GTi, you can use my tyres. The car does not need them at the moment. Send me your tyre details and I'll see if mine match or are close enough.

I have a feeling the guys here are like that, my mate and I wired in the new ECU, checked it, then towed the car to him for them to tune for the day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next