It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:58 pm 

well here you go. Two different views of the same race.

Excuse the slow shifts at times....bit of a fuel pressure cut issue on over rev due to the Throttle body hanging for 50ms...have to lift slightly ahead of the clutch...easier said than done....or it hits rev limit and cuts fuel to protect the engine....happened a couple times in this race. something to work on.

turn volume up and hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCHRg3WNFTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbc-tlxD8aU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:32 pm 

Maaaaate! What an awesome race!

Looked a bit hairy at the start with that traffic and looked to be something wrong with that Integras suspension setup, he was loose and looked like it was wallowing in the corners. Caught those MX5s and sliced through them like a hot knife then nailed that Lancer under brakes, all in one go!

Must have felt good getting out there, that was a great race.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:41 pm 

Great looking car and love what you're doing mate! Keep it up.

As a side, don't sweat the driving skills, most of us aren't race drivers or are learning the craft. Keep at it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:42 pm 

Thanks Michael. I think the integra had pretty buggered tyres. I caused him a few smoked up tyres trying to outbrake the mouse. The pass I thought might get me was the white Honda into turn one up the inside heavy under brakes and a quick second gear shift hoping she wouldn’t turn into me.

Had fun.

Now the bad news. Don’t know yet if engine ok. The fuel low and surging issue caused 4 lean laps. Hope it’s ok. [-o< Chris overlaid my last run with the run the day before and said acceleration was exactly the same. I might have got away with it. Also no change in water temp. Solid 84 to 86 degrees all the time. Now I wonder if I cracked my last pistons through fuel surge?

When I get home it’s a comp check and a leak down test. Chris suggested this. Plus I am getting a Borscope one to look in the bores. If all ok then it’s a fuel surge tank and a few tune tweaks.

Last edited by swift12 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:47 pm 

Thanks Tassie. Yup it’s a steep learning curve for sure....just hope the mill is ok.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm 

Loved the incar

You must have surprised a lot of other competitors

Best wishes for a good outcome with your engine checks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:02 pm 

Is the computer doing the downshift blip or is that something you haven't setup?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am 

Thanks Guys.

Yes I’m worried about the motor....lean runs are just never good. Effin gauge....my fault for not calibrating it or doing a surge tank just never thought about it. I cannot afford another engine job and wifey is over it. (The money on re builds)

Sam...yes the computer is doing the down shift blip. Brake on....press clutch =blip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 pm 

Btw Sam...the blip happens most downshifts....except when.

A. We are slow enough and don’t use the brake like on warm up or warm down...then we need to blip the throttle as brake is not used.
B. If the clutch is not let out far enough between changes like a little engine braking between 3 and 2....if the clutch is pushed in again before being released far enough the blip won’t happen. I’m going to activate the clutch switch now closer to the end of travel.

If you look at the exterior vid you can hear on turn one the engine rev on the downshift....that’s not done by the driver. It’s a learning and tweaking process but we have dropped the clunky shifts right down now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:51 am 

So presumably if the switch activates early in the clutch travel then you need a delay programmed in before the blip starts. Sounds like if you can activate the switch later in the travel then it would have to be less error prone.

Have you tried setting up flat shift on up shift? Looking at the video it didn't look like it. In theory it would help with any delay in throttle response. I guess the other observation is that while your gate might make shifts more reliable it's probably also adding to the slow shift time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 am 

Not at all on the gate....the slow shift time is me doing that deliberately....can move it very fast....but it’s a matter of working out the glitches....the fast shift is cause for the over rev.
The gate is seriously better with than without.

Flat shift possible but not with ignition cut or you get backfires. With fuel cut yes....but it needs to know it’s upshifting and without a sequential shifter the chance of a misshift and subsequent massive rev is high so flat shifting is not really a good idea.

Chris has sent the log files to link to see if they can sort it out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:51 am 

swift12 wrote:
Not at all on the gate....the slow shift time is me doing that deliberately....can move it very fast....but it’s a matter of working out the glitches....the fast shift is cause for the over rev.
The gate is seriously better with than without.

Flat shift possible but not with ignition cut or you get backfires. With fuel cut yes....but it needs to know it’s upshifting and without a sequential shifter the chance of a misshift and subsequent massive rev is high so flat shifting is not really a good idea.

Chris has sent the log files to link to see if they can sort it out.

Yes I found that out the hard way with the dogbox. Went from 4th to 1st, but it only revved hard until it broke the flywheels bolts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:01 am 

That’s why I put the ARP flywheel bolts on.
Our only real issue currently is 2nd to 1st and 2nd to 5th. One is crap for lap times and one is crap for everything. 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:32 am 

If you did setup flat shift you shouldn't have any risk of over rev provided you configure it to end based on the clutch switch rather than using the timed option. You can also cut fuel as well as retarding the ignition.

I would agree that fixing the throttle response delay and getting your clutch switch setup to activate at the point the clutch starts to disengage should be the first jobs.

I had a similar experience to picture with a Toyota 4k rally engine. I made the mistake of lightening the flywheel more than I should have and not using 4AGE bolts to attach it. It lasted 2 stages before I went to upshift and when the throttle went back on it rev'd for the sky. It was very brief, one blip and pulled over, game over, but the engine was completely stuffed. Timing chained so stretched the links didn't pivot. TRD circlips sitting in the sump from two pins and the bore marked from where one thought about exiting. The only positive was that it told me why my previous engine had failed. It threw a rod after a yump where it over revved to about 9k. For the next engine I replaced the TRD circlips with spiroloc and all was good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 pm 

ok looks like we may be ok???

Compression tests all came out at 260 psi dry and cold. literally all exactly the same.
Pictures show (not here yet) carbon on outsides of pistons and shiny in middle...no melting I can see...cannot see walls very well.

I bought a leak down tester...I understand the type I have can be rather inaccurate but i guess comparison is where its at.

So I got readings of...cyl 1....10%...cyl 2...12%....Cyl 3.....8% and cylinder 4.... 9.5%

Does anyone know if thats reasonable? Thats 4% between cyl 2 and 3....but the gauge may not be accurate....leak downs when the engine was produced was in the order of 3 to 4 %.

from these readings and chris checking the power to be identical between runs 2 and 4 with 3 being the leanish run. so the last run was as powerful as the 2nd run. I do not believe the 12% on cyl 3 is enough to push oil into the catch can. indeed the gauge may be showing incorrectly....but I guess there is a difference between the cylinders in terms of leak down....i bet it would be less if it was warm and had oil around them too....all in all....i think we are OK. 8-[

Attachments:
IMG_5798.JPG
IMG_5798.JPG [ 295.7 KiB | Viewed 16 times ]
IMG_5795.JPG
IMG_5795.JPG [ 226.97 KiB | Viewed 19 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:01 am 

We started the car last night...it runs fine but tap tap tap....bloody lifter tap. One of them. Didn’t go away with warming it up.....can’t hear when you rev it the engine is quite loud.

I’m running motul 10/40 chronos.

I can’t just stick hyd lifters in it....the cams are hyd profile.
Comments?
I reckon just taking everything out and trying to find the dicky one and replacing it might help however......when will the next one s**t itself with the punishment it gets.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:11 am 

I've changed mine sometime ago and still get the occasional Tapping especially when I let the car sit without driving for long. I use 5w40 Liquimoly oil.
My advice is to leave it as is, pay attention after some hard runs if it still taps. Mine stops completely once it gets running aggressively. Enough heat and oil pressure does the trick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 am 

Sometimes you can identify a suspect one by placing feeler gauges under each cam lobe one at a time to find which one quietens down. The downside of this method is the oil splash whilst doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:29 am 

The way i was told by my dad to find dodgy lifters was to place a large flat blade screw driver above where each lifter sits with the tappet cover on and rest your ear over the handle and use it like a stethoscope. If the rest are quiet you should be able to track it down. Nowdays you can even buy a proper tool to do the same. With older lifters run some oil flush or a actual lifter de-glazer can do wonders, temporarily at least. I have had some come good on their own which must be from sludge stuck inside working it’s way out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 am 

Thanks Guys...

The reason Im asking is I had them serviced and completey cleaned out...none had given issues until now...they are not new of course.
Wondered if i raced it like that will there be damage done????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 65  Next