It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:11 pm 

Z34-5speed....thanks so much for the nice words...Thats the idea I like to share all the good stuff and the s**t stuff i have done....hopefully it helps others to determine their course. Im no expert so I just keep trying....

tomorrow it heads off to the tuner...hope it goes well...its locked and loaded......battery charging. sensors tested....lots of error codes but cleared up all of them....just new sensors and changes of wiring....now its up to chris to run it in and tune it...

Attachments:
IMG_5735.JPG
IMG_5735.JPG [ 337.26 KiB | Viewed 12 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:31 pm 

Looking good, hope tune produces better than expected HP results. Can see you didn't go med school with a bandage wrap like that =D>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:40 pm 

haha yeah..its supposed to piss down tomorrow so i have covered all the open bits up

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:55 pm 

Nah, Im talking about the exhaust manifold :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 pm 

Oh right....yeah the pipes were too close together to do individually and I kinda ran short. That DEI stuff is heaps better than the Chinese crap I first used. Not chasing extra hp....just trying to lower under bonnet temps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:35 pm 

Yeah not easy with pipes close together and stubby fingers don't help. I will eventually get mine ceramic coated but for now will get daughter to practice her bandaging skills for nursing. Then she can drive it.
Its Looking good, just giving you wind up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:37 am 

Haha....I’m married....take a lot more to wind me up! :shock:

Dropped car off....now we wait...

Hope it’s all good... 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 pm 

Well done Glen, must be a great feeling to get to this stage (again!) and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Im looking forward to the video of her getting out on the track soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:51 pm 

well guys here is the post you have been waiting for....

firstly a plug for LLAMA ENGINEERING of Petone....Wellington....fantastic service...they helped me to get mighty mouse back to the track without losing my shirt...I know they did a lot of work that I DID NOT PAY FOR...it was a huge discount which I cannot expect all the time...they knew I was gutted at getting only a few laps from the last build done by another engine builder and were interested in helping us get the project back on track. we now have a race motor..not a fast car motor or fast daily driver...an engineered race motor. Marc from LLAMA would really have liked to get rid of my cams and do new billet cams but accepted what I had...the hydraulic lifters are at the max of their ability as the cams are really too small with their base circle reduced and means that the had lifters are at their extremes...but hey it works...the bonus is that the new pistons have deep pockets and there will be no valve touching...the previous pistons and valve combo did not share that feature!!! one comment Marc made and it would be the the most important point here...if he could have got me at the start I might have spent 6 or 7 k for a RACE motor....but I have finally got there for 16-18K now. I have learnt the hard way.

The oil pressure is fantastic running 65 psi hot...the fuel rail was sweet...the fuel pressure is 44 psi...Chris from prestige tuning set up a check engine light and limp mode for a differential fuel pressure...if the fuel pressure is not correct for the vacuum ???? then it gives a CE light and limps the motor...it essentially means the engine will go lean.
while Im on the subject....Chris wall...prestige tuning....Brilliant. he works from the same building at LLAMA in a different business....Id personally look both them up if you have a project...in the end it will cost you more to stuff about trying to save money....and you will get a great motor with the best tune.
Check out Chris's super organised tuning bay.

so you want to know the upshot right???
well losing power was a failure...we dropped compression.....but power went up. pics are right here!
why??...ok....a few things.

1. its built right.
2. Marc fitted my adjustable cam wheels but drilled them for a better fit and made his own marks...he sent the cams to kelford to get the right point to set them at.
3. the valves seats are now race prepped.
4. the Torque plate...yes...most say not needed....but it made a huge diff to straightening up the bores and therefore leak down...we are sure those rings are perfect! If you have a G13B remember LLAMA has a torque plate to hone your bores!!!!
5. run in....I was not allowed to take it down with oil or water in it. Chris ran it in on the dyno. I had to leave....I was nervous. 8-[
6. The 4 into one exhaust...you might be a little surprised here...both Chris and Marc said the headers have made gains and attribute the torque bump at low rpm 3000 to 4000! to the headers..I thought you had to lose one to gain another....we gained both TORQUE AND HP. So the science says certain things but I guess you have to look at the combo you have and maybe I was a bit tinny on the 4 into 1 design...but we can tell you that the headers as made on my blog have certainly made a difference.

It pissed down on the way home and with the road works everything was filthy...now all cleaned up ready to refit the oil cooler and accumulator....BTW I now run MOTUL CHRONOS 10W40.
Splitter, bit more ducting and next week it goes to the track.

two pics are of the tune and also the power knob...which shows the reduction of power based on limiting the throttle opening....literally Chris was closing the throttle butterfly so much just to get the power down to 124hp....I cannot remember but something like 60% or less. I do remember he said The last 6 steps of the 12 point switch is only 4 hp diff between 80 and 100% throttle!

the figures...
146.1 HP at the wheels Previously 139.7HP
106.05 FT LBS torque previously 101.6 Ft LBS

but look at the torque and power curves.....totally awesome. RED = today....green = last tune.
totally stoked.

Attachments:
IMG_5742.JPG
IMG_5742.JPG [ 220.66 KiB | Viewed 24 times ]
IMG_5741.JPG
IMG_5741.JPG [ 239.55 KiB | Viewed 19 times ]
File comment: home and cleaned!
IMG_5740.JPG
IMG_5740.JPG [ 351.37 KiB | Viewed 17 times ]
File comment: totally organised and professional tuning bay.
IMG_5739.JPG
IMG_5739.JPG [ 227.5 KiB | Viewed 17 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:47 pm 

Beautiful! I follow Prestige Motorsport on Bookface and have seen some of the work they have done, amazing!

Very pleasing results from all your hard work. Finish line is in sight, almost time to enjoy all the hard work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:56 pm 

yes Michael I believe Prestige tuning would be one of the top tuners in the country. Super easy to deal with....technical to the max....good tuners are busy so book early...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:02 am 

Impressive TQ increase in the 3-4.5k range.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:11 am 

yes picture...i was astounded...that will help pull the higher first gear in the dog box which was a bit slow off the line..i think that will make it come alive at the right time without spinning the wheels.

The 4 into one must have done most of it but also the guys did set the cams up to the best position now they are adjustable...that may have had an effect..also Marc set the valve seats correctly.
Also notice the longer and higher torque at the higher end...the acceleration will be quicker as we drop into 5800 rpm on the change and sit in torque until 6600...previously the torque peaked at 5800 and immediately dropped off.

I can supply my lengths of primaries if you want...ill have to measure them best I can. I can tell you I went to huge pains to get them all the same length within 5mm...harder than it sounds. It appeared to be the most important factor reading all about it. Although you can use different lengths as long as the pulses don't fight each other. I utilised a setup that allowed the firing order to send gasses into the merge collector in an anticlockwise direction in sequence. This may cause a swirl effect in the merge to help speed gas flow as it slows when entering the larger tube??? The tube is 1.5"
The collector is a merge...the outlet is 2.25" into a 2.5" resonator....the exhaust is 2.5" non mandrel bent to the rear resonator at 2.5". the tube fits inside the exhaust resonators so effectively the smallest I have in the system is 2.25" apart from the primary tubes.
Now this all sounds very scientific but to be honest I plagiarised one off the internet that looked easy to make...tweaked it for my build...made it fit where it fit best....and might have been a tin arse.
Both Marc and Chris stated the torque bump in the 3 to 4.5 k range is headers even though 4 into 1 can kill low end torque...chris said he has seen it plenty of times before where the opposite effect happens. Its also probably just way better than the stock cast manifold. All my reading to date says the stock manifold is quite good and only small gains could be made by headers....probably true on a stock engine....but not mighty mouse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:42 pm 

swift12 wrote:
yes Michael I believe Prestige tuning would be one of the top tuners in the country. Super easy to deal with....technical to the max....good tuners are busy so book early...

Yeap im all booked in for 2023, should be ready by then :p :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:13 pm 

Step it up Michael....might make it by 2022!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:42 pm 

Just reading about weight reduction.
I’m going to add some weight.....side intrusion bar on drivers side. Anyone got good ideas?

I’ll also go weigh car....I have a source where I can weigh it at a dump station for free. I’d love to know it’s weight.

I’m in Canada. When I get home Sunday.....splitter, radiator ducting...intercom...get ready for the weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:11 am 

Went to the dyno a few days ago. Came in at 130whp/94tq. I was a bit disappointed after comparing to your original build since they were similar, I guess it may be due to fuel (me being at 95octane) and prob differences in dynos.
Here is the graph.
Your new build has made an impressive improvement though, glad to see you got better results and a more reliable build, hope the temps are managed as U need, good luck this weekend.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20190329-155508.jpg
Screenshot_20190329-155508.jpg [ 216.23 KiB | Viewed 14 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:43 am 

It’s not bad...plus different Dynos and fuel etc. what was your Dyno? Rolling road or dynapak? Dynapak is very accurate but I have heard there can be differences between them...plus there are correction factors to consider.

Also I run a dog box so there might be differences there. Different gearing.

The big gains this time was due to exhaust headers and probably cam timing.

Also I run a link extreme....do you run a distributor type of spark system? If so...I’d change that.
Coil on plug, cam sync, crank angle sensor....reduce timing scatter and add more timing in....that’s what this engine wants...Chris could add another 8 degrees advance before knock occurred...the hp would go over 150 ATW....but we don’t wanna be there. (That was guessed at...last engine build got another 3 hp with another 6 degrees before knock occurred and backed it off away from the knock threshold) he said this motor was very knock resistant and had to add 8 degrees before it would knock at low rpm high gear with full throttle. That was to tune in my knock sensor....we run the engine well away from knock threshold.
The link extreme mod with the change to how the spark got to the plugs yielded large gains in power last time....dynapak to dynapak....15hp. But also the box was different...so I’m guessing a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:05 pm 

Rolling dyno, already in coil on plug with hall sensors on cam and crank. We have max timing of 25 degrees at about 6k rpm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:17 pm 

I tried to find your build...but couldn’t. What cams? Adjustable? Compression? Header?
Lighter flywheel? Underdrive pulley? I believe my timing is around that sort of area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next