It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:40 pm 

Yep I'll double strap it...maybe a lighter Ali one over the top. Cheers Sam.

From work lol.....I think I've been to the hangar once...lol. Or do you mean just pinch a bit from the aeroplane I'm flying home from YVR tonight? Lol.
I bought tefzel wire from the USA from prowire....damn it's nice stuff...bit pricey...for the e throttle and loom "B" to make up.....never thought of the other wires needed....I kinda assumed they were in the loom but of course they are not....just did not give that much thought really.

Super cheap stuff is well....super cheap....thick heavy stuff. I could order from prowire but not back there for a while and I want to do it this weekend. Guess I'll have to talk to nz efi. Was told about $8 a metre....yikes. 8-[

I'm just trying to ensure I size wire to avoid problems without going overboard. It's hard to be too heavy but easy to be too light.... :shock:

Hey so you think I might have the geared starter already? It certainly did not seem heavy...and turns the motor over well. Part number....31100-82011

I removed the thermo switch and turned the plug off on the lathe....then filled the hole with a nice alloy plug I made before I left for this flight. So the hole in the thermostat housing is now blanked off. I also blanked off the stock water temp sender hole in the head.
I have one temp sender adapted into the thermostat housing (because it's NPT and not BSP) for the temp gauge and NZEFI supplied the Bosch WTS fitted in the stock position. The ECU will now control the radiator fan though a relay.

This Friday I hit the electrics totally until Monday. Better call Chris or Dave I guess before I leave here to try get some wire sent up. I need 8 metres for the coils pos and neg plus 4 metres for the pos on the injectors and around 6 metres of 20 gauge for the 5 volt feeds....three go to the e throttle set up, one to the map, one to the CAS and I'm buggered if I know about the sync in the dizzy....better look at the wiring diagram and the old ECU pin outs for those wires...see what it takes. 18 metres at $8 plus a metre....mmmm.....$165 plus shipping and of course gst on the shipping too....about $100 from pro wire direct from the states and it will be tefzel. But two weeks. Guess it's only ten coffees lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:50 am 

"My gut says it would make no difference with an extra 10cm of wiring but I guess it adds up after the 4th injector"

I'm going to run all wires separate from the main relay using a splice close to the relay rather than join power wires to each other to run from injector to injector. Is that what you meant?
Adam from link said to do that with all wires for fault finding etc....not that I Think I'll need to do that....after all it's a machine of precision and power! Lol. 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:45 am 

Ok I was seriously out on the quote of the efi wire. It's only $2 a metre. The cross linked stuff. Dunno where I got that other price from. That's from NZEFI. The proper stuff link uses in their looms. Be there in the morning to pick up from the couriers I think

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:16 pm 

swift12 wrote:

swift12 wrote:
due to deadtime and the injectors needing the same voltage I would need to ensure all wires are the exact same length? Yes?

"My gut says it would make no difference with an extra 10cm of wiring but I guess it adds up after the 4th injector"

I'm going to run all wires separate from the main relay using a splice close to the relay rather than join power wires to each other to run from injector to injector. Is that what you meant?
Adam from link said to do that with all wires for fault finding etc....not that I Think I'll need to do that....after all it's a machine of precision and power! Lol. 8-[

I was meaning if you ran separate wires from your source (Relay), then you would have all the same lengths, rather than cut the closest injector wire to length and so on, giving you different length runs of wire. Would this affect the "deadtime" etc as you mentioned, I think not. and 10cm will not produce a voltage drop.
You will just have 30cm of extra wire to hide somewhere.

swift12 wrote:
Guess it's only ten coffees lol

But its 10 coffees! (I am in the coffee trade, I roast, make, fix, train, anything to do with coffee. )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:06 am 

Thanks Michael...I'm massively overthinking it again aren't I? 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:43 am 

I'm sure NZEFI would tell you what they'd do running the injector wires. So buying wiring from the us is - how many coffees? Just goes to show that not everything is better/cheaper from overseas. I guess being a precision machine of speed and aerodynamics it'll look something like this:
Attachment:
Suzuki.jpg
Suzuki.jpg [ 62.2 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:50 pm 

Lol....Sam...
Not even close....more like nanas shopping trolley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:22 pm 

"I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics." - Tow Mater

Attachments:
Mater3.jpg
Mater3.jpg [ 260.83 KiB | Viewed 26 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:19 pm 

yeah thats closer!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:13 pm 

thats the wiring done...whaddayah think?

Attachments:
IMG_5049.JPG
IMG_5049.JPG [ 584.64 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:24 pm 

Looking at the aluminum radiator, what was the main reason for choosing alum over copper?

Was it weight?
As it is Alum, did you fit a cooler thermostat to allow for the poorer heat dissipation?

Just curious as I need to replace mine, wondering about getting the copper one repaired or a new Alum one.... weight vs performance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 pm 

Honestly it runs far too cool and it needs a piece of plastic cable tied to one side of the radiator to keep it hotter. Only in the pits does it heat up when the engine idle is low and the underdrive pulley means low water flow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:31 pm 

Weight saving it is, thanks Glen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:01 am 

And lower cost.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:35 pm 

Well mostly done under the bonnet. Oh my god it's a big job. 8-[ some of the plugs are fiddly but now I'm getting used to EVERY plug being different. Every crimp is different. Fitting injector wires takes forever. Everything is in the wrong place. No mater how much you strive to make it tidy....some parts just look s**t. Like behind the motor.

The ECU guys say to split off heavy currents from the main loom. To avoid electrical noise.
So you see a few different runs that could have been run together...but the e throttle can draw 5 to 6 amps....plus the injector wires and the coil wires run into the car separately from the loom. They do run parallel for a wee distance...but I have done my best to limit running noisy bits next to the main loom.

Sorry if it's not perfect....that's it and that's what I have done....I'm not an auto electrician.
Start the inside tomorrow.

Attachments:
IMG_5364.JPG
IMG_5364.JPG [ 675.96 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]
IMG_5363.JPG
IMG_5363.JPG [ 688.19 KiB | Viewed 20 times ]
IMG_5362.JPG
IMG_5362.JPG [ 672.18 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG [ 685.27 KiB | Viewed 22 times ]
IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5360.JPG [ 662.4 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:01 pm 

She looks lovely, I cannot wait to see this on the track!

Short runs of high current lines and signal lines are ok, obviously to be avoided where possible, but in an engine bay, needs must. Intersecting is fine.

Good work!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:23 pm 

Thanks Michael. Got the earth leads in the engine bay done today...also tidied up the loom a little more.
Starting building the power distribution block. And putting the battery cables in. Wiring inside now.

Attachments:
IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5373.JPG [ 689.04 KiB | Viewed 17 times ]
IMG_5375.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG [ 692.09 KiB | Viewed 20 times ]
IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_5374.JPG [ 679.23 KiB | Viewed 24 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:58 am 

Engine bay looks good. Where's the fuse/distribution box going to go?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:09 pm 

inside the car Sam. Just on top of the tunnel. It keeps it out of the engine bay and therefore no more cables having to be run through the firewall...

Now i have an issue for you sparky types out there.

The starter cable runs out of the isolation switch to the starter direct. The isolation switch can take 500 amps for 5 seconds. At the same terminal of the isolation switch i have an 8 awg lead up to the distribution box through a fuse. all this is on top of the tunnel in front of the gear stick.

The starter cable runs up the right side on top of the tunnel. I have two more cables needing a connection to the battery....I don't know where to put them.

1. the EPAS power. The electric power steering can draw 30 amps. It can have a direct connection because it does not liven until the ignition is on through its own relay.
2. The return line from the alternator. I know this will run everything while the engine is running.

The battery is in the boot. Running cables back to the battery won't happen. Can i use the starter solenoid as a power lug? That is...run the EPAS high current feed off it and have the alternator return to the same point. The alternator would then run through the battery cable after starting to the isolation switch...charging the battery and running services. The EPAS would have a hot feed from either the starter cable or the alternator return...will this be ok?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:50 pm 

bugger...just read that the load from the alternator should never be interrupted while at speed as it can surge 100 volts through the system. if i have it through the isolation switch...and its accidentally turned off it could cause that problem....Ill have to put the alternator return to the "in" line from the battery on the isolation switch. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 44  Next