It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 94 swift gt struts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:14 am 

So I'm 17 working on building this car up to autocross it with my dad. I just recently put on H&R lowering springs but left the stock struts on the car. If the front strut is all the way extended there is play in the shaft. And a mechanic that's a friend of my uncle's said "oh your going to ruin these struts with these new springs". Should I worry about this or is it ok to leave it as it is? Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: 94 swift gt struts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:25 am 

And a second question to verify. Where do the to negative ground wires connect from battery, I have ome that was on the chassis but I dont know where the other goes for sure? Any help would be great I cant find it in any diagrams in my manual eathier.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:06 pm 

Changing anything in the suspension can be complicated as you have not just lowered the car, you have now changed the roll center, ball joint angle, lessened the amount of travel available for the suspension to soak up, the list goes on.

There is a LOT of information on this site about everything you need to know. Search first, then ask. Some people on here are willing to help, just help yourself first.

Setting suspension up for Autocross needs to be done correctly otherwise you will lose time, it is amazing what suspension tweaks will gain you in lap times. Just "lowering the car" is not always the best thing, you need to approach any modifications with the big picture in mind.

What surface will you be racing on, tarmac or gravel?
While you were in there replacing the springs, one should have really done the shocks too.
What spring rate are the springs? Are they progressive or fixed?

Negative wires from the battery go the chassis and the engine block. Make sure the surfaces are clean and there is no paint in the way. Good solid connections are the best.

Happy modifying. I would suggest to start an "In The Build" thread so people can follow if interested and you can keep track of all your questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 am 

Thanks for the help I will start a thread for my entire build soon, and keep my questions within there.