It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: '86 Mk1 GTI AA33S rebuild in NZ
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:58 pm 

It's been a while and the to do list keeps growing. I managed to tow the car to my current residence so it is much easier to get the work done. 300kms later and it now resides in Wellington. As I do not have a garage here for storage, I am working in the same conditions that many fellow Aussies do, outside on the driveway :D

After sorting out the leaking front seal, finding a broken engine mount, finding multiple other small leaks, replacing the rocker cover gasket and putting it all back together again, it might be running in another few weeks.

Just waiting on the engine mount from Craig at SPR. (1600GTI)

Still need to do a coolant flush but it has new oil in engine and gearbox.

Noticed one of the cam seals had walked out from its mounting due to it being so hard. Will have to replace it when new cams arrive.

The car had an issue a long time ago with it missing and at the time we found water in the spark plugs. My Dad put some of that stop leak gunk in the water system and it has been fine ever since, suspected crack in the head. While replacing the rocker cover gasket, I noticed the frost plugs had lots of corrosion around them and one bolt had rusted out and snapped in the head :cry: so new frost plugs will need to be installed.

Keep seeing a really small oil seep (not as big as a leak, but more than a weep), possibly from the dizzy and there is continually oil running down the gearbox and dripping off the bottom of the bell-housing. Many years of road grime to clean off to track down properly.

My thanks to Tassie_Mk1 for the imminent arrival of some trim that has been missing for a while.

Attachments:
File comment: Gearbox sump grub screw. Some nice person used vice grips at some stage, plus metal shavings in the thread! Oh dear.
IMAG1960.jpg
IMAG1960.jpg [ 440.21 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
File comment: Rust inspection and realigning the driver door.
IMAG1831.jpg
IMAG1831.jpg [ 559.21 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]
File comment: Broken drivers side engine mount.
IMAG1891.jpg
IMAG1891.jpg [ 835.63 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
File comment: Stopped for a break at the halfway mark.
IMAG1887.jpg
IMAG1887.jpg [ 565.45 KiB | Viewed 158 times ]
File comment: The car dolly.
IMAG1881.jpg
IMAG1881.jpg [ 844.15 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:51 pm 

So it has been a long time since an update and in that time the following has happened:

Moved 300km back "home" again
Fixed engine mount
Sourced some spare sparts
Fixed all oil leaks

As it has been sitting for some time I decided to take it around the block a few times to stop the tyres going square and to keel things ticking over.
All was going well, pulled into the service station to check tyre pressures, noticed it was leaking water (it was only a matter of time....).

Was checking out where the leak was coming from when the engine started hunting, before I could reach over to open the throttle it stalled, leaving me stranded as the battery was flat (had jumpstarted it to go for a drive).

Walked around to turn the key off and smoke was pouring out of the steering column. After further inspection I noticed that the high beam circuit was on and the relay clicked rapidly when turned on again.
Joy, more problems to fix. I was going to replace the radiator anyway as it is original and badly corroded.

In the meantime, I have spotted another red Mk1 around here in excellent condition, one elderly lady driver :)
Project is slow at the moment while I get the trusty Hiace back on the road, plus business plans etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:40 pm 

It's an ongoing love affair I guess...wish I knew why I was pouring truckloads into this suzuki...but I guess in the end it's because it's not easy....honduh=easy....suzuki=satisfaction.

Keep going mate. Come down some time and meet up
Cheers G

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:20 pm 

Had some spare time today seeing as it is Easter and I wanted to locate the source of the previous electrical smell.

Pulled the steering column apart and checked the ignition switch, bingo! Smells right toasty. Even managed to source a new one, what joy!

More parts on the way....

Attachments:
File comment: Someone's nice soldering job when they added a switched power supply...
IMAG2343.jpg
IMAG2343.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 98 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:52 pm 

8-[ looks like someone has been in there before ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:27 pm 

Yeap, for sure. A long time ago, not sure how long. Many years I expect as the guy who owned it previously was a chef and had no mechanical/electrical inclination what so ever.

Ah well, new parts ordered and should be fine for another 30 years!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 pm 

Small update - I managed to find some time on a sunny Sunday afternoon and I managed to fit and test the new ignition switch. A quick cross-reference with the old one to make sure the wires were around the right way (as it was from a Jimny and good thing I did!) and it went in sweet as.

Also managed to discover another GTi being wrecked down south and secured the knackered rear wing and the side mirrors that I was missing, swapped over the mirror unit into my housing and its functional again!

New CV joints purchased so it now awaiting some more free time so I can lift the front end and replace those. Might be back on the road soon...

Does anyone have any tips for foam spoiler repair? I was just going to glue it closed enough to get the shape and have someone make a mold to make a fiberglass version, rather than the heavier foam. Would there be interest in the original spoiler design?

Attachments:
File comment: New ignition switch
IMAG2511.jpg
IMAG2511.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 51 times ]
File comment: New glass
IMAG2510.jpg
IMAG2510.jpg [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 36 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 pm 

Just a little update, fitted a new clutch cable. Whoop! Super smooth now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:17 pm 

Yes made a big dif here too Michael!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 pm 

So it has been a productive week or 3. It all started with an "I think I'll just do this...." and it turned into some rather late nights.

Installed new outer CV Joints. While removing passenger side (gearbox) also found the inner boot split, so it was a quick run to Supercheap for a boot kit before they closed.
Some fun and messy stuff later, she has new knuckles.

That lead on to get new brake pads. When you get the last pair of brake pads at BNT that have been on the shelf for a few years.... they are cheap :D

Moving onto installing poly bushes in the front suspension. I can see that it will make a difference in how she handles, although for some reason I do not have the sway bar mounts I thought I did. Just got the lower control arms in, they are a tight fit!

It is getting closer to getting on the road, now I have the rear drums to do. (I have recently done the drums on the mighty Hiace, so not really looking forward to it)

The more I work on this old girl, the more I wish I could steam clean the underneath of it all. It's a mess!

Attachments:
File comment: More meat. There was not much left on the old ones!
IMAG2692.jpg
IMAG2692.jpg [ 638.08 KiB | Viewed 12 times ]
File comment: Drivers side
IMAG2691.jpg
IMAG2691.jpg [ 772.93 KiB | Viewed 12 times ]
File comment: Passengers side. Found inner boot split too.
IMAG2693.jpg
IMAG2693.jpg [ 729.14 KiB | Viewed 10 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:55 pm 

Nice one Michael! Be good to see it run

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:11 pm 

It will be. Needs a new radiator, so waiting for the car fund to fill again before the next stage. Hopefully not too long.

Then off for a warrant to see what else I missed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 am 

The suspension bushes made a huge difference for us but then half of the rubber ones were buggered too