It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 94 Swift GT Autocross Build
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 am 

I'm 17 years old starting to work on this car with my dad. It was given to me by a guy who lived on my street because he no longer drove it and since I have a daily driver I decided to turn it into an auto cross car. The progress is slow because of my age I do not have lots of money to spend on this so I have been trying to do little things that will make a difference. Any suggestions for cheap upgrades, or things I should do on a budget to help increase performance would be greatly appreciated.

Things I have done so far:
1. Rebuilt the transmission to fix 3rd gear knock
2. Clutch master fx400 and aluminum flywheel
3. H&R springs (no struts, or shocks yet because I don't have the money)
4. Stripped the interior behind the front seats
5. Cone air filter (I know the set up is sketchy but I am working on a bracket to secure it)
6. Adjusted the timing to run 93 octane (that's all that's available in the U.S.)
7. Brake pads
8. After market muffler (was installed by previous owner)
9. Stainless steel Brake lines (have not been installed yet but I have the parts in hand)
10. Timing belt and water pump (have not been installed yet but I have the parts in hand)

I have plans to make strut supports, and eventually a full cage. As well as upgrading the rims and tires. The current thing I am planning to do next is repair an exhaust leak that appears to be from the header. All new exhaust gaskets will be here in the next couple of days, but I am reluctant to take the header off for fear of breaking studs/bolts.

I'm planning to post upgrades as I do them, as well as any questions I cannot find answered as they arise. Posts will probably not be often because this build is being done as fast as I can save for parts and as soon as I have the time to install them. Pictures will also be attached below of what the car currently looks like.

Attachments:
20190714_155930.jpg
20190714_155930.jpg [ 55.01 KiB | Viewed 1440 times ]
20190714_155919.jpg
20190714_155919.jpg [ 49.35 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]
20190714_155648.jpg
20190714_155648.jpg [ 66.3 KiB | Viewed 1436 times ]
20190714_155902.jpg
20190714_155902.jpg [ 74.35 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]
20190714_155851.jpg
20190714_155851.jpg [ 59.14 KiB | Viewed 1438 times ]

Post subject: Re: 94 Swift GT Autocross Build
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:03 pm 

Awesome mate, feel the fear and do it anyway.

Happy to help with questions and stuff, between all the active ones on here, there is a lot of knowledge.

There have been a few active build threads recently, so I suggest you have a read through those when you have a moment.

For racing when $$$ are tight, spend it where you get the best bang for buck. Typically its suspension/handling upgrades, urethane bushes are a great and cheap upgrade for older cars. I would also have a front brace made for the underbody and find the front and rear strut braces. Will make a big difference until you can get the cage made.

Re: removing the header. YT how to repair exhaust studs first so you know what to expect if one does break. You can also spray them with penetrant a week or so prior to help loosen. Give them a solid tap before you undo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am 

That sounds a fun project! You surely know your passion and stuff! Subbed to follow your progress. Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:42 pm 

Hate to be having questions so early but I have searched around and cant find anyone with my same problem. I just put a brand new clutch masters 6 puck clutch in with a lightweight flywheel, and adjusted the cable to the proper amount of free play. The issue is the clutch grabs at the very top of the pedal still. Is there any suggestions to remedy this?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:04 pm 

If no weight limit issues for auto cross remove the sound deadening mats from floor with dry ice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:29 pm 

ehadfield wrote:
Hate to be having questions so early but I have searched around and cant find anyone with my same problem. I just put a brand new clutch masters 6 puck clutch in with a lightweight flywheel, and adjusted the cable to the proper amount of free play. The issue is the clutch grabs at the very top of the pedal still. Is there any suggestions to remedy this?

New clutch cable. Or take the free play out.
Could also be something in the clutch assembly I dont know about....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:33 am 

The lastest update now. I was having serious exhaust leaks so I pulled off the headers and put all new gaskets, and ceramic coated the header. I got the clutch working great, and everything is running smooth but now 2nd gear is pretty much gone, grinds going in and pops out half the time. Im looking around right now to buy a replacement syncro hub and gear.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:53 am 

Nice work mate,

unfortunately 2nd gear in a GTi box is always a weak link and often the most abused gear. If you can get the parts it might be worth giving the full box a rebuild or sourcing a used one (there are still some kicking around the US).

GL with the build I'll be watching keenly :D