It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: So we got given a Mk 2 shell !!! woohoo ...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 am 

So i mention to a member (friend) that my youngest son was looking for a GTi so when he bought another race car shell with awesome roll cage he also got given a stock shell which he generously gave to my son... This was it when we first saw it....
After our friend put on suspension, brakes, and wheels and a steering wheel, he delivered it to our place so we could start the build ..
We got all the bits to complete the panel work. We had a set of mags off other son's previous GTi
Got the lights all working..
Shampooed the seats which are waiting for the sound system install, amp, etc before the seats go in..
Have found and installed all the plastics that were missing from the back section including parcel shelf that I reinforced to hold the rear speakers..
Now just finishing off some of the exterior bits.. Making the MK3 lights fit etc, then it will get a wash and polish..
It wont be perfect when it's finished as there is a few scratches and dents but it will be a respectable standard for a 28 year old FREE gti...Actually it has cost $200 so far... Our friend has a spare transmission and engien which he will install when we have finished the rest and can get it on the trailer and back to his place.. Maybe 4-6 weeks and it will be on the road...

Last edited by Toomanycars on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: So we got given a Mk 2 shell !!! woohoo ...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:45 pm 

Well done mate and to all involved. =D>

Great to see another GTi being saved from the scrapyard.

Daily - 2002 Subaru Liberty RX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm 

Yes.. I agree there are too many classic cars being wasted... We are a family of Subaru drivers and it makes my blood boil to see people parting out perfectly good WRXs and STIs because they can get a lot more for them in bits.....aaahhhh.. I replaced my WRX with a MY08 Liberty GT a couple of months ago but I am keeping the rex because I have done a LOT to it to improve performance, handling and braking. It will probably be worth a lot more in 10 years than it is now...I still drive it once every couple of weeks...It is a 13+ second car and the thrill is still there 11 years after we first built it....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:48 pm 

It's getting closer.. I gave it a polish today .. It came up ok. It won't win any beauty comps but it will still be a reasonable example of a these classic cars.. All the lights are now working and the stereo head unit is working as is the amp so just need to finish that off and the seats can go back in. The guard liners go in tomorrow.. I guess it will go back to where it came from to get the engine and transmission fitted. Still trying to get some tyres that don't cost the earth.. thinking 195 45r 16...

We really need to replace the bonnet.. It is bent, twisted and dented .. If anyone had a straight one with good paint please let me know... Prefer black but not a deal breaker...